Could this collection have any value???

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me start by saying I know NOTHING about stamp collecting or values. I have been given this stamp book that belonged to my dad. The copyright date is 1952, so I'm assuming that's when he collected, although there are stamps MUCH older in the book.

The book is around 350 pages thick and covers the "world" in stamps. There are hundreds of stamps. Most look postmarked. Extensive US stamps, but also stamps from around the world. Germany, Italy, England, Portugal, The Vatican, Netherlands, France, Japan, etc. etc.

I have included pictures of the first four pages just to give a little snapshot. I can certainly take more pics or look for certain stamps if there's something I need to be looking for as significant.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Greg

photo11.JPG photo41.JPG photo31.JPG photo21.JPG photo111.JPG

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could be of more help, but I've found stamp collecting quite complicated and difficult to fathom for the novice. I've picked up a couple of collections while garage saleing and been mostly stumped when researching them. Fortunately I did meet a serious collector and now turn the collections over to him. I was lucky and found a very honest one and so far he has given me no reason to doubt what he has told me in reguards to value. This collection you have inherited has a number of things going for it. One, it is in catalog book form, so looking up stamps will be easier. It includes both US and English stamps, by far the most sought after. Before you go looking for an expert, check out several sites listing the most valuable stamps. I don't remember any of the links, but there are several listing the ten or so most sought after stamps, such as the English "penny black". You might get lucky. Generally speaking, in the broadest terms, those stamps with the highest denominations will be the most likely to have the most value, because there were not as many printed. The fact that they are postmarked is not a real problem, in terms of collecting. When you see values for stamps posted, you will find a lot of stamps listed at $10, this is generally considered low value and does not represent the true value of a given stamp. The value listed generally means the price a collector might pay for the single stamp if needed to fill a hole in a collection. Most of the low denomination, US stamps, even if quite old, will have little or no value as they printed millions of them in a given year and sometimes for many years. So my uneducated advice would be to search the collection for obvious ringers first, then see if you can find a serious collector and sell the collection as a whole, unless the sentimental value is such that you wish to keep the collection. Hope this gives you at least a direction to look in and there may be a serious collector here, who can tell you that my advice is full of c**p, and do something else. Good luck!

OP
OP
SCdigger

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for your insight Capt!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
scdigger,

I've played around stamp collecting over the years a fair amount....most hobbyist tend to go for quantity rather than quality....meaning most collections will have the lower value stamps and be missing the higher denominations in the series which is where most of the catalogue value lies.

That said I'd check your local library and see if the have the Scott catalogues in stock...it's a 6 volume set so it would quite pricey to buy say $500 or so....better to use the library set or if not maybe there's a stamp collecting club in your area who could give you some ideas as to value....hope this helps.

Regards + HH

Bill

OP
OP
SCdigger

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Bill!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree with "Bill from Lachine".
Your collection reflects the way we all began; quantity versus quality--we filled up the spaces with heavily postmarked stamps. Many would be bought "On Approval": Small low denomination sets or 'grab bag' collections of many (used) worldly issues.
As mentioned above, I'd suggest you start at your local library by looking through Scott's Catalog of US stamps--disregarding the other countries for the moment.
Early US stamps had many varieties and some of your stamps may not be the exception to that statement. It may take you some time to correctly ID one or more stamps. One stamp may or may not have a watermark, different perforations (number of 'teeth marks' on each side), a sight difference in color and other characteristics that differentiate one (seeming similar) stamp from another.

You may find your collection has little monetary value, but if you study the stamp and learn the history surrounding the issue, the educational value may be greater. As with most adventures, like life itself, it's the journey rather than the destination that provides the greatest enjoyment.
Don.......

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A little more info on what is included would help, but I agree with what Mackaydon says. It is a beginner's album, it appears. I'd have to examine the stamps to see. Are there many British stamps in there?
Additionally, postmarks can also present value and sometimes that is when one finds sleepers in these sorts of collections. I only know about British and Commonwealth postmarks but there are others of value too.
What countries are well represented?

A.J. Griffin 00

Dec 3, 2012
My grandpa had given me something exactly like that with the exception that mine has a green cover and he said it was worth a ton so expect the same with yours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread