Using older stamps for postage

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The local coin and stamp shows I attend have me on their mail list, which is good since the postcard mailers they send which promote upcoming shows offer discounts on attendance fees.

My only problem is vintage stamps are almost always used on these mailers. Their latest was a 3 cent US Army commemorative from 1945. While these are perfectly fine to still use as postage, it makes me cringe to think that there's one less uncancelled version of this American collectible out there.

I've even spoken to the organizers and asked why they do this. Shrugs and a general "no idea" reaction is all I've gotten.

Am I making too much of this? Maybe it's the hardcore collector in me but I could never moisten and affix a 67-year-old stamp.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It reads like the Army stamp is Scott's 934 Army Victory March. A few years ago the retail value was 60 cents. More recently, the catalog value was 20 cents (MLH) and one sold last year for 15 cents. To me, by using that old stamp for current postage is a great (and very inexpensive) way to market their upcoming shows. It immediately draws your attention and interest. What more could the promoters of the event ask for?
Don.....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is, or at least was a mail order company here in pa That used to ship their catalogs out with Vintage used stamps.
Great way to get kids interested in stamp collecting

ad to that it's like melting US Silver roosies.

Eventially a 1964 Dime will be extremely coveted by someone trying to complete a collection

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Immy,

I've played around with stamp collecting on and off for about 30 years or so....and here's the catch....the common issues from say WW11 era to present have very little resale value.....the younger generations are not into collecting unfortunately.

What happens when grandpa passes away and the heirs have to liquidate the collection of modern mint stamps....dealers pay around 50/60% of face value and use the stamps as cheap postage for their mail outs.....just a heads up as to how it works.

Regards + HH

Bill

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
I once picked up mail w/ 1/2 cent stamps on the letter. Took it in to office to check if it was ligit. Sure enough, they once had them. I see few older stamps on what I pick up but have see many mailings using old stamps. Face value is still honored by the U.S.P.S.

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the opinions all. I just want to make clear that my concern is NOT the value of the stamp, it's simply that (at least) one more uncancelled example of this American collectible is now gone. Kinda sad, dontcha think?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Immy..........you're way too sensitive.......................................in 83 years are you going to be upset because I used a "forever" stamp I bought last week.? :)

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were MILLIONS of these printed.
Thanks for the opinions all. I just want to make clear that my concern is NOT the value of the stamp, it's simply that (at least) one more uncancelled example of this American collectible is now gone. Kinda sad, dontcha think?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread