Real Treasure Found, Our Canadian members here will appreciate this! Shocking!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
27 years ago my wife came running down the stairs, she said I needed to go to the yard sale next door. My neighbor was a very nice 92 y/o WWI veteran and lifetime boyscouts. He started collecting stamps in 1918. I bought his stamp collection. Started cataloging them the first year, reached 12,000 stamps and didn't even put a dent in one of the 5 boxes. That computer crashed, and I lost the proprietary database I couldn't have used anyway today. So, I lost interest. But did start thinking about them. Then out of the blue I get the impulse to help a child, and that put me into those boxes. Mostly a whole lot of nothing, stamp collecting is way out of people's lives now.

And, I stumbled into this letter:

Canadian Letter 1942.jpg

Letter Page 2.jpg

Envelope Front.jpg

Evnvelope Rear.jpg

It is hilarious! Keep the faith!

This one was Deep!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually that is a nice piece of postal history. The meter is set at .00, and it is marked FREE on the back along with an Ottawa cancel, official OHMS on the front + the letter concerning WWII participation by Canada. It should have some interest with collectors of Canadian Postal History, or even WWII buffs.
The Canadians suffered about 10,000 casualties taking Vimy Ridge in WWI, where the French had failed, and had suffered 100,000 casualties attempting to take the same ridge. They were proud of the victory their troops gained there and probably feared being marginalized by the huge US war effort taking place south of their border in this new war. On D-Day, 6/6/44 they had their own beachhead, JUNO Beach. They received the 2nd most resistance in their AO only being behind the bloodbath the Americans suffered at OMAHA. The British beaches SWORD and GOLD were lightly defended, and the other American beach UTAH also met with light resistance. They were in the thick of much of the fighting that finally crushed Nazi Germany.
That letter just shows how worried the Canadians were about their war efforts being overlooked by the bigger powers in the fray.
Nice find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread