Does anyone know if my stamp is real or a fraud?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Does anyone know if my stamp is real or a fraud?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2015
    Washington State
    2 times
    I believe there's ancient Asian or M.E. Treasure in the Mountains

Does anyone know if my stamp is real or a fraud?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stampview1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	1914142Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stamp2view.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	1914143

I have done some research on this stamp, but I still can't tell if it's real or fake. Most likely it's fake. However, it was in my mom's old stamp collection and how she would have come across one of these is beyond me.

I appreciate any and all input. I tried to contact some of the stamp club people in the Seattle area, without sharing what I had though, and nobody replied.

Thank you!
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    7712 times
    Prospecting
    Howdy neighbor...

Don't know a thing about stamps, but like you I have a
    collection from my Grandfather who passed back in the
    70's. Been wanting to get it evaluated, but have no idea
    who's to be trusted.

Tried to clean up your pic a bit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stamp2view-2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	877.6 KB 
ID:	1914149
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Jan 2013
    Maryland
    Bounty Hunter
    2237 times
    Metal Detecting
    Based on the limited research I just did, it's a fake. The margins are too wide for one thing.
    Fat likes this.

Jan 2015
    Washington State
    2 times
    That's beautiful, thank you. If you're trying to get stamps evaluated, they charge for that. Is it a big collection? I ask because I noticed that some places only want to buy really large collections. I figured for my stamp, if I could figure out if it's real or not, I could send it to Sothebys. I say that, because if you have a couple of good ones, that may be an idea for you too.

Jan 2015
    Washington State
    2 times
    I saw that too, but in the old days, who knows.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    21145 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I've been collecting stamps since age 8 and I'll be 72 in 3 months. I still have my original and continued collection, though inactive over the last decade or more.

I don't recall having that stamp. Though what I find now is that stamp collecting has almost become obsolete, except through the Boy Scouts = merit badges. I'm not sure they even do that anymore. There remains a commercial market. Go to sell them something - they're not interested except for pennies on the dollar. Catalogues? Oh yeah that stamp is worth money! Go to sell it to them, it's better you keep it.

My collection is buried in my attic and there's big spiders back there, so I'm not crawling back there to get a catalog

Good luck! I hate to be so negative, but once upon a time I had very high hopes. And then I met reality.....

Edit: I'll wait a bit till it cools off here, my tin roof would cook me otherwise. I'll find a working flashlight and cover my skin as best as possible and go back there and bring my collection out. I've catalogues there, and really I should have better access to it than just keep forgetting about it.
    Last edited by DeepseekerADS; Apr 06, 2021 at 12:38 PM.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    21145 times
    Oh, and about the size of the margins?

Especially older international issues - they weren't always precise about "centering". That kinda margin is actually fairly common on older international issues.
    PetesPockets55 likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    43882 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    I've been collecting stamps since age 8 and I'll be 72 in 3 months. I still have my original and continued collection, though inactive over the last decade or more.

I don't recall having that stamp. Though what I find now is that stamp collecting has almost become obsolete, except through the Boy Scouts = merit badges. I'm not sure they even do that anymore. There remains a commercial market. Go to sell them something - they're not interested except for pennies on the dollar. Catalogues? Oh yeah that stamp is worth money! Go to sell it to them, it's better you keep it.

My collection is buried in my attic and there's big spiders back there, so I'm not crawling back there to get a catalog

Good luck! I hate to be so negative, but once upon a time I had very high hopes. And then I met reality.....

Edit: I'll wait a bit till it cools off here, my tin roof would cook me otherwise. I'll find a working flashlight and cover my skin as best as possible and go back there and bring my collection out. I've catalogues there, and really I should have better access to it than just keep forgetting about it.
    In my area everyone is stingy with their Money at Auctions.
    the Exception is coins. they don't even need to be valuable coins.
    a Collection of circulated state quarters may bring $50 bucks or more if the auctioneer shills it
    by trying to start the bid at 100 , some moron will believe he knows something , and there are 2 morons in the crowd

anyway I saw 2 stamp collections go for big bucks (Hundreds) at an auction, Both collections by the same girl
    who appeared to have a speech issue maybe due to mental or Physical issues. so no idea if she just liked stamps, if they were an elderly relatives,
    or if she was shilling and got carried away
    . but my point that was the only time I was surprised by a stamp buyer here .

Don't know what happened to Mine & My Mothers Collections which was also Her Fathers Collection.
    I'm hoping My nephew has them or Sold them for a Mint
    I think I sort of Remember giving them to him when he was 10 or So
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Apr 06, 2021 at 02:27 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    21145 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    anyway I saw 2 stamp collections go for big bucks (Hundreds) at an auction,
    Thanks Jeff, that's interesting. Maybe I should come out of my coma

My giving up on the hobby was probably 20+ years ago. Stamp collecting compared to my childhood love, I was really disappointed when I saw how the hobby had evolved.
    jeff of pa and PetesPockets55 like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel
    34916 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Well, I certainly don't know, but if it is valuable, a major collector will be who to contact. I collected stamps half a century ago. And not kidding about the time frame, I was little at that time.

um
    Dec 2008
    3009 times
    Looks like there is a catalogue (for stamps that doesn't mean a book of stamps for sale - it means a reference, as the Red Book was for coins back in the day) for these stamps:

Catalogue Buenos Aires (klaseboer.com)

Perhaps the gentleman who maintains this website could be of assistance.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

us
    Cherry Picker

Apr 2004
    Southern Appalachia
    Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
    1172 times
    Buenos Aires Scott's # 5, 5 cinco orange, Steamship issue of 1858, unwatermarked, typograph, imperforate. My 1999 catalogue lists it as being valued at $4,250 in mint condition - in FINE condition, which the stamp in the picture is not, with missing design on the right, and if actually real would bring a much lower value. NOTE - COUNTERFEITS ON #'s 1 - 8 ARE PLENTIFUL.
    I have this stamp in my collection, and consider mine as counterfeit. Many of these old rare stamps were reprinted and sold to collectors as space fillers as far back as the 1890's and they often turn up in old collections.
    To be sure you would have to locate an expert on Argentina stamps, which I am not, so I can't actually say BUT AS an old time collector I would advise you not to get your hopes up - just saying.
    Here is info on discerning real from fakes on this issue Album Weeds – Buenos Aires | Stampforgeries of the World
    Last edited by Slingshot; Apr 07, 2021 at 01:53 PM.

us
    USMC 0331 Forever

Nov 2018
    The Motor City
    380 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post
    Buenos Aires Scott's # 5, 5 cinco orange, Steamship issue of 1858, unwatermarked, typograph, imperforate. My 1999 catalogue lists it as being valued at $4,250 in mint condition - in FINE condition, which the stamp in the picture is not, with missing design on the right, and if actually real would bring a much lower value. NOTE - COUNTERFEITS ON #'s 1 - 8 ARE PLENTIFUL.
    I have this stamp in my collection, and consider mine as counterfeit. Many of these old rare stamps were reprinted and sold to collectors as space fillers as far back as the 1890's and they often turn up in old collections.
    To be sure you would have to locate an expert on Argentina stamps, which I am not, so I can't actually say BUT AS an old time collector I would advise you not to get your hopes up - just saying.
    Here is info on discerning real from fakes on this issue Album Weeds – Buenos Aires | Stampforgeries of the World
    Good Info!
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Oct 2004
    N. San Diego area (Pic of my two best 'finds'; son and grandson taken ten years ago)
    Minelab Explorer
    16767 times
    Shipwrecks
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    If you are willing to pay $35 if it is a fake; or 5% of Scott's retail value if it is authentic--and you want an unquestionable, reliable expert, then contact these folks:'
    https://stamps.org/services/stamp-authentication
    Don....

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    43882 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackaydon View Post
    If you are willing to pay $35 if it is a fake; or 5% of Scott's retail value if it is authentic--and you want an unquestionable, reliable expert, then contact these folks:'
    https://stamps.org/services/stamp-authentication
    Don....
    I don't think the $35 is an Out of the Question Price real or fake , & Encapsulated if real. even $50

But I'd Personally Consider them Thieves charging 5% of Value if it's a High Priced Stamp.
    What if I have a $10,000.00 stamp "book value" no one wants that bad.
    and I Don't intend to sell any way. & they hold it for $500 Ransom !
    Lawsuit time ! & that bad part Pay Them $500 or a Lawyer $5000 win or loose
    Makes paying $35.00 To tell me it's Fake ain't Worth Spit !
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Apr 07, 2021 at 07:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links