Unemployment not SO bad...

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Unemployment is not near so bad as during the depression of the 30's.
Still, 1 in 10 is NOT good.

California lost 41,700 jobs in November as the state's unemployment rate jumped to 8.4%, reaching its highest level since the fall of 1994, the U.S. Department of Labor reported today. California posted the third highest unemployment rate in the nation, behind Michigan with its crippled automobile industry at 9.6% and tiny Rhode Island at 9.3%.

Nationally, unemployment hit 6.7% in November, the Labor Department said.

I'm still looking for a reason for improvement.

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
In the past, JG, I had seen where a wage offered for the only work available was sufficient for the shop owner to maybe keep HIS doors open as the workers were being evicted from their hovels for non-payment of rent as their utilities were shut off, one by one.

I know how you feel.

Still, you gotta try something! Can't ever give up!

Good luck
rmptr

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The figures only suck when you're in them.
I got laid off on Tuesday... a week before Christmas, and 4 days before I'm supposed to drive 1,200 miles to Florida.
This economy sucks so bad right now. :(

Bran <><

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
JG, $8/hr bad?
God, economy sucks?

Here guys, our project is completed. Got the final, and certificate of occupancy.

It can be yours for $565k.
Nice neighborhood in good location, good neighbors, built to higher standards than others.

1208tools 067z.JPG
It's got a master suite, + 3 bedrooms, 4 baths, and a 3 car garage.

Anyone looking for a nice home?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess you don't remember when back in the 1980's they decided to revamp how they calculated unemployment. I do and I'll never forget it. I was very involved in politics at the time...and unemployed.

It was close to 18% back then. After they came up with their new way of stating unemployment figures, it dropped to 5%. Where did that other 13% go? They all didn't get jobs that week!

Statistics can be manipulated a hundred ways and the government is a pro at it.

They don't figure in those who have exhausted their benifits, those that enter the job market and never found one, those on welfare, those who find part-time employment...even if your collecting unemployment, because you are employed in some sense.
It is strictly those collecting unemployment compensation as their only source of income. Period.

If you don't think the economy is bad...you are blind.

And yes...$8.00/hr is horrible wages. I make more than that, I'm a single guy that owns a home and have a car payment, and I'm sinking fast.

Prices have skyrocketed and is squeezing my dollar harder than any time I can remember. Not to mention that darn near every tax there is has gone up locally, as have the utilities.

Maybe I could live on the street for 8 bucks an hour.....I may be there anyhow if things don't change soon.

They are expecting mortgage foreclosures to double in the comming year. Every Monday in the newspaper here, they list foreclosures in the area. There are so many, it takes 7 or 8 full newspaper pages to list them. And they expect that number to double?

I look through the want ads here and recall when there used to be several pages in the newspaper. Now if there's a half column of jobs available, we're lucky...and usually, most are babysitting, nanny or telemarketing. Nothing that pays a livable wage.

You have a hundred people applying for one job opening.

Wake up and smell the stench...it's only going to get worse. Can you spell D-E-P-R-E-S-S-I-O-N.

Look how long it took our government to admit we were in recession. Do you think they want to admit were heading rapidly in depression? Do you think they want to admit failure...or are they willing to lie to us like they have for years and years?

Al

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
The 2 million (some estimates are 5 million) or so homeless people in the states (mainly individuals) , will now be added to by millions of homeless families.

Even living in a trailer park will get too costly for some as the land rents will rise due to greedy owners. Millions will then be wandering the highways and byways of a depressed country.

http://www.lostamerica.com/
Check out "urban exploration"

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I recall they determined to calculate things differently, Al.

It's a real crock!
They do farm, and non-farm... all sorts of things to juggle the numbers.

Ha! Someone let Joe Biden out for a few minutes and he's already saying things...
"The economy is worse than we thought."

Obie is saying it may take him a couple terms to fix things...

It might be that Blagojevich is the only one you can count on doing something! ;D
He'll BE there if there's money involved.

I read a book... Nickel and Dimed a woman story of trying to make it from the low end.
There's a lot of folks just kinda trapped.
and the tax collectors just prey on them...

Still, if you catch a break, it's a great place to be!

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog
When I refer to trailer parks, I'm meaning a real trailer park , not the modular home pre-fab type that's on busy highways. Trailers are portable houses on wheels that are towed behind a vehicle and frequent the byways,dusty dirt roads and out of the way places.
I'm also not talking about RV's.
Poor often disadvantaged folks that can't find work and have given up live in squats populated by broken down trailers with frequent poor sanitation
and lack of clean water and proper sewerage disposal.
No I'm not talking about some 3rd world country but the USA "as it is today" that most of you folks here don't know exists.

So the wasteland in "lostamerica" will quickly fill up as people desert the jobless cities

OP
OP
rmptr

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Pig, and geese,

Y'all are forgetting about the minions? Maybe?

There's whole flocks of minions who run around, on a salary, keeping tabs on the transients, making sure they do NOT attempt to settle in somewhere that didn't purchase 50yards of concrete, a truck and trailer load of lumber, and get set up to pay taxes to keep all the other folks out!

Kalifornia has got it mastered.
Other states will more or less follow the pattern, is my guess.

If you are not among the landed gentry, contributing to the sheriff of nottingham's well being, everything in your possession will be subject to seizure. It will be auctioned to pay your appearance fees before the magistrate.

I am NOT being facetious, though it may seem so.

During the depression of the 30's, California enacted a law making it criminal to bring a person into the state that did not have a visible means of support. The law was enacted because so many Okies were coming into the state, and getting on the dole until they found work. It was a significant burden on the counties, who were trying to take care of their own.

An Okie named Miller, a married California resident, contested her arrest when she brought in her brother, and eventually won in the Supreme Court.

It would make good sense if you looked it up, and at least read the syllabus of the case.
Miller vs California is the name of the landmark case.

Basically, it is a 'right to travel' issue.

...driver licensing is hogwash...
NOT a privilege.

Elsewhere, someone brought up Marbury vs Madison.
That, is good, sound law, also.

Best
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread