investing in iraq currency? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: investing in iraq currency?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Excal, Sov GT
    492 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Doesn't the political instability play into the value here? What is the risk level?

us
    Dec 2012
    lower hudson valley, N.Y.
    safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
    3447 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercop View Post
    friend of mine spent about 1K and bought 1 million dinars. says it is for investment and if the iraq government ever gets going with the oil they have the currency will increase and he plans on making a boat load off of it. he says he will be buying more and has plans to invest 5K. he said he could make a million off of the 5K investment. i think this is very risky and borderline stupid. he is trying to convince me to invest in this and to be honest i just dont know enough about foreign currency. i have done a little internet research and i still don't know anymore about it than i did before i started. anyone have any experience with this or thoughts?
    I live in New York. Does you friend have any interest in buying the Brooklyn Bridge?? I may have several bridges to sell to interested investors!!
    Ya won't find nuthin' if ya don't hunt

us
    Mar 2012
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Excal, Sov GT
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mts View Post
    This reminds me of the days when I used to invest in the stocks of companies that were facing bankruptcy. The cost of their stock put them in the penny stock range. But it was very risky. If they went bankrupt and changed the ticker symbol on you then you were left with nothing (your common stock was worthless). But if the company pulled out of it and didn't go bankrupt then it was POSSIBLE that you could make a fortune on a small investment. However, the more likely scenario was that the company limped along for many years making minimal gains. Needless to say, I don't make those types of investments anymore.

I'm not saying that Iraqi dinars aren't a worthwhile investment. But just remember that the world is not black and white. There are more than two possible outcomes. And the most likely outcome is that your investment will limp along for many years making minimal gains. If you knew that up front you'd never invest in it. Hindsight is 20/20. You can always find some edge case where some guy had the "foresight" to invest in some longshot and got rich off of it. That's great. Just don't forget to also look back at the thousands of other guys who lost their shirts on virtually identical investments.

Personally, I think the time to invest has passed. You have to be able to see that the country is going to be thousands of times more profitable than they are right now in order to make a million dollars off of a one thousand dollar investment. I just don't think that is going to happen. For the currency to double or triple in value is reasonable. But I don't think they are going to command much more than that. That's my opinion and it is worth EXACTLY what you paid for it.... nothing!
    There are a few ways to invest in companies in trouble. One is to be ahead of the curve and ride them down on short side or with Puts. Like shorting the for profit technical schools in 2011. These schools had been fleecing students for years with false numbers. All financed by the DOE. Anyone who was paying attention around the beginning of 2011 could see that the DOE was going to clamp down. And clamp down they did! And the stock prices of these schools fell like rocks.

Another way to profit is to jump on bad news. Again by going short. BP was a good example of this, though extreme. BP was very friendly to shorts in that its price held up reasonably well at first. Then a huge opportunity for shorts and options players.

The third way is one of my favorites - that is the ride back up. Again, the idea here is not to invest in penny stocks, but quality companies that are trading like penny stocks. or those that have been driven way down by one time events or market/political events. Once down, as usual, they are oversold. The opportunity is to take advantage of the oversold condition. of course 2009 was a field day! But again Bp was a good example of bad news sinking a stock to a too low price. BP went from roughly 60 to 27. Buying once well off the bottom, say in the low 30s range was a winning investment.

us
    Apr 2013
    Texas
    288 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Native Floridian View Post
    The third way is one of my favorites - that is the ride back up. Again, the idea here is not to invest in penny stocks, but quality companies that are trading like penny stocks. or those that have been driven way down by one time events or market/political events. Once down, as usual, they are oversold. The opportunity is to take advantage of the oversold condition. of course 2009 was a field day! But again Bp was a good example of bad news sinking a stock to a too low price. BP went from roughly 60 to 27. Buying once well off the bottom, say in the low 30s range was a winning investment.
    I've been following that philosophy for years, generally with success. I've also "caught a few falling knives", as they say. My recommendation would be to make sure you put a stop-loss in place. I've just ridden too many of these "already beaten down" stocks into the ground.

I remember back in the early 80's, when I was just a yonker, I bought 100 shares each of three troubled companies. Cost me right at a grand total. Braniff, IH, and Chrysler. Two were disasters, but the third more than made up for the others. A feeble attempt at diversification, but I came out just fine in the mix.
    Native Floridian likes this.

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14211 times
    Metal Detecting
    I bought some stock in a car company called yugo? supposed to be good
    Iím the only one of me, baby thatís the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

AND IN THE END THE LOVE YOU TAKE IS EQUAL TO THE LOVE YOU MAKE. - Paul mccartney

us
    Mar 2012
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Excal, Sov GT
    492 times
    Those Yugo's are collectors items today! You shoulda bought the cars not the stock!!!!

Charter Member

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    14211 times
    Metal Detecting
    ohhh now you tell me !! some financial advisor you are

um
    Dec 2008
    2802 times
    With due respect to all, this isn't "investing." It is "speculating."

There is quite a difference.

Regarding any investment (or speculation, for that matter) - if you have to ask how it works, it probably isn't a good place for you to put your money.

You can buy millions of pre-World War II German marks from that nation's hyperinflation period. Postage stamps with a "face value" of tens if not hundreds of thousands of marks. What are they worth today? You can look 'em up.

As for Donald Trump - if he put his money into it, I'm taking mine out.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Oct 2013
    22 times
    Prospecting
    This isn't a new concept. When I was in Iraq (did 4 tours) there were thousands of people buying IQD for the thought it might get big.

Alot of the people didn't realize how long term the investment would be. Myself, I'm holding about 50mil in IQD. Keep in mind I only purchased about 1mil while i was there and the rest off the other soldiers who didn't budget and needed quick cash selling it for pennies on the dollar (worth about 1200:1 at the time I bought most of mine at about 8000:1-20000:1.)

For now it just sits in the closet filling a foot locker, it'll probably be years before anything is worth even looking at but if it ever does it'll be well worth the wasted space.
    Last edited by eric91m; Dec 05, 2013 at 08:59 PM.

ca
    Enjoyer of the outdoors

Nov 2013
    Alberta
    Deep Tech Vista Gold, White's MXT.
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I wouldn't buy a single dinar. I know several people who have bought thousands of dollars worth of them. However, what you choose to throw away is your own business. If worse comes to worse, you can always take them Dinars to Iraq for that vacation of a lifetime., however short that may be over there!! You could live like a millionaire for two or three days!!

um
    Dec 2008
    2802 times
    eric91m:

Four tours!

My thanks to you for your service!

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo
    eric91m likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links