Storage Locker, Auction Finds?

Graciegirl

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
Reading these posts has been interesting. Who wouldn't love to stumble into a storage unit once owned by Pablo Escobar untouched since the 1980's? Or be sorting through a dusty box only to find an original t206 Honus Wagner baseball card staring back at you? The reality of storage unit bidding though shares a lot in common with garage sales which I've been hitting since '08: The great finds are very few and far between while the junk like baby clothes, housewares etc. is far more common. Also it's like metal detecting where you're finding tons of beer pull tabs & can slaw for every ring or coin. Clearly, all these pastimes are a numbers game --- the harder you work and the more research you do --- the 'luckier' you'll be. Shows like 'Pickers', 'Storage Wars', 'Antiques Roadshow' etc. seem to have made the great finds even more rare. The "dream" is still alive and well though....
HH
-spyguy

Sam Cobra

Oct 22, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wanted to pass along some advise. I have been buying storage units for the past fifteen years. I hope someone can use this advise. If you buy a storage unit, make sure & fully go thru everything. I just bought a 10' x 20' unit on the 26th. Everything in here is older. The couple who had rented the unit had been paying on it for the past ten years until they suddenly stopped in February. I look for units where the renter has an old fashioned name like Mabel. This could be nothing or it could be a quality unit.

I knew or had an instinct that somewhere within the unit they had to have stored / hidden some jewelry. As I was cleaning the unit out on my third trip, I started to think that I had made a mistake. There were plenty of clothes, suitcases, & a few miscellaneous items including two 1921 Maytag roller washers w/ motors where I believed I could maybe make my $300 back. I had gone through the obvious places like the suitcases & I was coming up with junk. Some of the suitcases I could tell had been gone through & were missing their prior contents. Speaking of bodies, I did find a crematorium box of ashes of a person in here. I promptly gave these remains to the storage facility owner. I am very superstitious & I believe I treated the remains with respect.

Earlier tonight my wife decided she was going to help me go thru some boxes. Lo & behold she found the jewelry cache. It was hidden in a smaller sized box of albuterol nebulizer capsules. All of the goodies were in an old art deco purse. This includes three 14K white gold rings w/ diamonds, a 5.5 gram 14K yellow gold eagle pendant necklace & a larger bag filled with better quality costume & art deco jewelry. I believe one of the 14K rings has a .5 carat diamond. I need to get the rings appraised. This small purse paid for the entire unit plus. Whatever I make on the other items is pretty much pure profit.

What unfortunately happens & the point of my story is, older folks of lesser means tend to hide valuable things in unlikely places. Whatever the reason is, including greedy caretakers or relatives, you have to look thru everything imaginable to where a person of reasonable intellect, would hide something. This includes books & underneath items that look like they have no value.

Sometimes there is absolutely nothing of value to find of moderate value in a unit you purchase. The previous owners didn't hide anything. You have to get what you can with what is available. We go through all of the items & try to get rid of the junk. The sell-able items, we have yard sales where we give deals to everyone & then donate the rest to the local Boys & Girls Club Thrift Shop & to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. We get a tax deduction for our donations. I have bought units which ended up pretty much being nothing more than a donation & loss of time.

In the meantime, we have plenty of other boxes to go through from this unit including a few more Albuterol boxes. :)

Graciegirl

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Sam, thanks for the advice. are there any web sites you would recommend to look for storage locker auctions in specific regions/areas. I've been using AuctionZip a little, but there isnt much in the way of storage units on the site. Thanks for any help you can provide.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the classified section of our local newspaper. The storage locker auctions are listed under legal notices.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
In many jurisdictions, these businesses are required to place notices in the classified section of local newspapers.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
I just wanted to pass along some advise. I have been buying storage units for the past fifteen years. I hope someone can use this advise. If you buy a storage unit, make sure & fully go thru everything. I just bought a 10' x 20' unit on the 26th. Everything in here is older. The couple who had rented the unit had been paying on it for the past ten years until they suddenly stopped in February. I look for units where the renter has an old fashioned name like Mabel. This could be nothing or it could be a quality unit.

I knew or had an instinct that somewhere within the unit they had to have stored / hidden some jewelry. As I was cleaning the unit out on my third trip, I started to think that I had made a mistake. There were plenty of clothes, suitcases, & a few miscellaneous items including two 1921 Maytag roller washers w/ motors where I believed I could maybe make my $300 back. I had gone through the obvious places like the suitcases & I was coming up with junk. Some of the suitcases I could tell had been gone through & were missing their prior contents. Speaking of bodies, I did find a crematorium box of ashes of a person in here. I promptly gave these remains to the storage facility owner. I am very superstitious & I believe I treated the remains with respect.

Earlier tonight my wife decided she was going to help me go thru some boxes. Lo & behold she found the jewelry cache. It was hidden in a smaller sized box of albuterol nebulizer capsules. All of the goodies were in an old art deco purse. This includes three 14K white gold rings w/ diamonds, a 5.5 gram 14K yellow gold eagle pendant necklace & a larger bag filled with better quality costume & art deco jewelry. I believe one of the 14K rings has a .5 carat diamond. I need to get the rings appraised. This small purse paid for the entire unit plus. Whatever I make on the other items is pretty much pure profit.

What unfortunately happens & the point of my story is, older folks of lesser means tend to hide valuable things in unlikely places. Whatever the reason is, including greedy caretakers or relatives, you have to look thru everything imaginable to where a person of reasonable intellect, would hide something. This includes books & underneath items that look like they have no value.

Sometimes there is absolutely nothing of value to find of moderate value in a unit you purchase. The previous owners didn't hide anything. You have to get what you can with what is available. We go through all of the items & try to get rid of the junk. The sell-able items, we have yard sales where we give deals to everyone & then donate the rest to the local Boys & Girls Club Thrift Shop & to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. We get a tax deduction for our donations. I have bought units which ended up pretty much being nothing more than a donation & loss of time.

In the meantime, we have plenty of other boxes to go through from this unit including a few more Albuterol boxes. :)

This is a great story and brings back some memories. Just to reiterate the above (not a storage auction story however)

When my sister and I were young, we were staying at our grandparents house for a week. The room we were in had some board games up in the closet so we decided to pull down Sorry and give it a whirl.

When we opened the box, there were no game pieces or board and the entire box was stacked with $20 bills.

Since then my mother and uncle have convinced my grandfather to put in all in the bank, it turns out there was cash stashed all over like this.

So always keep looking inside things until there is no more inside to get to.

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a fellow storage unit buyer, I can surmise that the reason this thread is not more popular is the fact that no one wants to talk about their great finds, because just like the tv shows it will bring more and more buyers to the scene running up the prices. Here in my neck of the woods, things have calmed down a bit from the craziness of the shows ( I was even featured on an episode of Auction Hunters with Ton and Allen....look up "Littleton Jones") My wife and I have found many a treasure over the years, but what the noobs don't realize is that it takes a LOT of work to find those few nuggets. We have been fortunate enough to never lose money on a unit, but I am very careful what I buy and usually just get a "feeling" about a unit.
To all those considering trying it out....here is what you will need to be very successful at it:
A big truck
At least one (preferably multiple) enclosed trailers
A 30yd dumpster on site at your house at all times
Somewhere to store all of your stuff until it sells (I have a 30x50 steel building and our basement is full of ebay inventory)
The time and ability to sell on ebay, craigslist, local flea market, and any other venue you can find.
You can make a very decent living at it, but be advised it is a lot of back braking work, and tedious work searching and sorting everything, looking up values, etc..
It all looks like fun and games on tv, but....
So with all of that said, here are some of my great finds over the last 10 years:
Bought a unit that had 2 f-16 fighter jet canopies in it and nothing else for $100. Nobody knew what they were, sold one locally for $750 and one online for $1000.
Bought a unit that had some crappy white furniture and just a few boxes in the back...10x20 bought for $400 ( I thought to myself..what are you doing?) ended up being
some girls unit that disappeared, and had all of her jewelry, her moms jewelry, and some of grandmas jewelry..... $8K in scrap value.
Bought a unit online, won't say where, for $340 last year. It ended up having over $70K in ammo military collectibles, and gun parts in it (my personal find of a lifetime)
I went to an auction an hour away from me this summer, never been there before but knew the auctioneers....they opened up the first unit 10x20 and inside were 2 John
Deere commercial mowers.......unknown running condition...I won it for $1100 ( I guess no one brought any money that day) Turns out they both had keys in them
and started right up! I sold them both in 2 weeks........one for $6K and the newer one for $8500...........Best profit in shortest amount of time to date!!!
The most expensive unit(s) I ever bought were 3 units up in Washington State (bought online sight unseen) that were all the same owner who had passed away. One of them (all 3 were 10x20) was full of cool carved animals, huge carved log table, custom burl chairs, totem pole, etc... The second had dive tanks, a big fat telescope, some log patio furniture etc.. and the third was all boxes labeled "the cave". Needless to say, anyone with that kind of artwork and decoration has money and needless to say I had no choice but to buy all three!
First unit was the carved furniture unit...sold for $6500 Second unit sold for $4,xxx and the third one they saw me coming and I had to pay $8k.....so almost $20,000 for all three after fees and travel expenses. I knew I could make that on the first unit so it was a calculated risk on the other two. Turns out he had homes and storage units in three different states (not good, was hoping to get all of his stuff) but we did find tons of cool native american stuff, civil war relics, meteorites, ancient fossils, rock formations, His and his dad's military awards and tons of other really cool stuff. "The Cave" was his special room for all kinds of spiritual and terrestrial artifacts and artwork. A year later I have just about broke even, but I still have over $50K of the high end stuff listed on ebay waiting to sell. I hauled my 40' gooseneck up there with all of my carpentry tools, generator, etc.. and turned it into an 8'x8'x40' enclosed trailer with 2x4s and plywood to haul it all home 1400 miles. Was able to hire a local guy with a forklift to help me load the heavy stuff like the 8' tall 600lb carved sasquatch and 1000lb burlwood table. The trailer had over 16,000 pounds on it when I stopped at a closed truck scale and weighed in at over 32,000lbs for truck, trailer, and contents...yikes! Ill never forget that adventure with just me and the wifey.
I must say that probably 90% of my home furnishings and 90% of my wardrobe and 90% of my really nice tool collection has come from storage units. They are a lot of fun, and the epitome of the eternal treasure hunt............but don't be fooled, they are a lot of work, a lot of gambling, and you just hope that the good outweigh the bad.

J

Trapper340

Aug 21, 2016
Lebanon missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a farming community and the storage units here are not very impressive, most of the time they take there stuff to a auction house and the price on a lot of the stuff are out of this world. Took the wife a couple months ago and at the end of the main auction they do what is called a clean up. Anyway she had bid on some kids jewelry and got and I told her to put it with the rest of the stuff we had gotten. When she came back she just started bidding and won the bid for $ 5.00 ,I looked at her and ask what she thought she was doing and her reply was. ( I wanted that fabric ) and I informed her she just bought the clean up ( two full tables and what was on the floor ) . As we started to haul the stuff out she was looking in some of the old hat box's and there were some old dolls in one of them. When we had it all loaded up a lady ran us down and ask if she would sale one of them for a $100.00. We wouldn't sale her the one she wanted but we did sale one to her that we had two of for $50.00.

Sam Cobra

Oct 22, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
high&dry: Thanks for a great read. I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I'll never understand is the people who have old crappy old furniture and pay $100 a month for storage. My old boss needed help moving something into his sons storage unit, he moved somewhere and is coming back in a couple years, (probably jail) there wasn't a thing in that unit that was worth a dollar, old torn couched chair, plastic end table, dirty old mattress, nothing.....just junk! He could buy new stuff for less than he's paying in storage fees.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every pencil pusher that had (note had) a nest egg or cashed out CD's came out & bought everything no matter what it cost.
Attendance went from 20-30 people to 200-300!!!
then you had people with storage lockers that after the shows started that when they were done with the lockers and to lazy to clean them out and make a dump run would pack the trash in boxes and label the boxes as having valuable property in them.
i know that i did with the junk from lockers i bought.

i also know that some storage companies had there employees fill boxes with trash from lockers that had been left full of trash and unlocked after the owners departed.
i know because i worked for some of these storage companies as a rental truck service tech.

Ryans Rust

Jun 22, 2015
CA
Primary Interest:
Other
What I'll never understand is the people who have old crappy old furniture and pay $100 a month for storage. My old boss needed help moving something into his sons storage unit, he moved somewhere and is coming back in a couple years, (probably jail) there wasn't a thing in that unit that was worth a dollar, old torn couched chair, plastic end table, dirty old mattress, nothing.....just junk! He could buy new stuff for less than he's paying in storage fees.

I once bought a unit that was covered in thick dust/dirt. My kind of unit. Got it cheap as it was dirty and in a bad part of town. Based on newspapers and bills, the unit appeared to be from 1993 or so. There was a few small pieces of junky furniture, old bike. Heck even sold the old unopened Taco Bell sauce packets! LOL I paid under $100 and made over $500 on it. To pay for a unit for 20 years that has little value and not more than a box of personal items (pics etc)..... I see units like that a lot. I guess that could be why they lost their unit. Not the best with their finances. Or they have too much money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread