Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455
Like Tree997Likes

Thread: Homesteading

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    83 times
    Coins and valuable metals
    I wish I could advise on the dilemma of getting another reliable heat source going for you. I can say space heaters don't do well in general. The Eden Pure mentioned I believe is a quartz heater and it radiates heat much like being in front of a fire. I have a few of the cheap Chinese quartz heaters and they are built to not last beyond a few years, but even these will throw some nice heat. Your mother may like one of these DS. I just did a search and saw a cheap 2700 btu quartz heater listed on Northern Tool & Equipment for about $18. That will draw about 700-800 watts of electricity.

BTW DS, welcome back to the thread and know I've been enjoying it.
    Last edited by Swaveab; Feb 09, 2017 at 08:56 PM.

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    83 times
    If I remember rightly, DS said the chimney is in the middle of the house. He can correct me on that if I'm not remembering properly.

As to the weed seeds, I microwave the little bit of compost I produce, but you could put it in a metal container and pop it into the oven for a spell. If you have a grilling area outside, the metal container could also be put there. Cooking the compost gives off a good smell too in my opinion.
    kcm likes this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4264 times
    Prospecting
    We've never done much with compost, but have been wanting to get started with growing for years. Just that life always seems to be getting in the way....along with the weather and cooler temps.

Am not very familiar with solar (per your post on another thread), but definitely have learned a little about how to heat up here! ...If DADS chimney is on an interior wall, he could still put a free standing wood stove on an exterior wall and just run a new pipe outside. However, another possibility might be to consider a pellet stove, or maybe a corn stove. Yes, you have to buy the fuel, but there's no splitting involved. They're quite efficient, low mess, and many require a very small vent pipe going to the outside, which would be great for going through a wall or up the chimney.

I remember DADS posting some time back about possibly moving away from there come a certain time, so maybe this could be a possible answer for additional heat.

If they still made them the way they used to, I'd recommend the electric radiator heaters. They used to work awesome! Now, can't seem to get much heat out of them, and they don't last long. But again, that is only for spot heat. One other possibility might be to add one or more electric baseboard heaters. If this is a possibility, make sure to buy the wall-mount thermostats, as the thermostats that mount on the heaters only sense the floor-level temps. Makes trying to regulate temperature in a drafty old house all but impossible!

...About the last thing I can add is, to maybe add a large room onto the house on the south (sunny) side, made like the wooden frames I mentioned earlier. Then just before winter, load a LOT of leaves and other material into the room. The combination of the sun's warmth in addition to the heat generated by the composting material will help moderate the temps inside that side of the house. I read one article about a guy who does this for his dairy cows in order to keep them more comfortable during the winter, without ANY fuel costs, plus the added benefit of having fresh compost for Spring planting. ...Think he was in Wisconsin somewhere.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    83 times
    kcm,
    My bad as the solar I'm referring to is solar power and not thermal solar. Thermal solar isn't all that complicated in theory and you'd only get a bit of heat from it compared to what one may want or need. No matter which solar we'd be talking about, it can get involved and complicated for large production systems, costly too. Both types can be done on smaller scales as well. I have a small solar power setup to back up the grid electric for power. Many go with a generator and that's good to a point except at night when people want to sleep or you run out of gasoline and the gas station is closed for lack of power. I'll not delve into this too far unless DS wants to know about an aspect of it as it is his thread. It really would depend on ones goals with it and what one is willing to spend too.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    4264 times
    Prospecting
    "My bad as the solar I'm referring to is solar power and not thermal solar."

I know. That's why I mentioned thermal solar in a different paragraph. Sorry for the confusion - guess I should have been more clear.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

us
    Jul 2015
    Southwest PA
    Safari
    83 times
    No problem.

Page 55 of 55 FirstFirst ... 545535455

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links