Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I might just be a youngster, but as a boy I remember being ever so greatfull to have a garden at our house. I can remember picking summer spinach, tomatoes and cucumbers for a salad. Grabbing a great big 'ole black diamond watermelon or cantaloupe if we were lucky for desert and going back to the house to make a grilled cheese sandwich from a huge block of government cheese and having a big feast. We were glad to have it. I didn't know we were poor. I didn't feel like we were poor. Clothes and toys came from garage sales and that was just fine. My parents loved me and they provided every way they could and I feel I grew up better for having gone through it.
It wasn't the great depression, but I'm pretty sure the weight on my dad's shoulders seemed like it to him. I can't imagine what it was like in the 30's for those poor people. Thanks for listening to me ramble on.

coloradocav1

Jan 4, 2016
colorado
Detector(s) used
mxt
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
great post, wish more people "sheeple" would get off the phone apps and learn history like this. it will repeat itself.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
The great dust bowl forces many western farmers and cattlemen to abandon their farms during the great depression. Many migrated farther west to California and Oregon. Some went north to Washington state. Some even migrated south and east to more fertile grounds. What caused this calamity were the farmers themselves. Using newer type plows, they plowed deeper allowing the soil to lose its water in the subsoil. Now w2ith newer techniques in farming, such as aquaculture, there is not much loss in water, but it requires a sizeable investment to get started in a commercial type operation. maybe we will learn from our mistakes and start using sustainable farming practices. Good Luck. rockhound

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I have been looking at buying 5 gallon buckets of rice and beans from Augason. The price is low and 5 gallon buckets are easily transported in an emergency situation. Also they are sealed and have a 25 year lifespan. Another bucket from Lowe's or Home Depot could be made with spices and condiments to make the beans and rice more palatable. Not becoming bored with the same food options over and over. Also many items could be put into 5 gallon buckets for extended survival situations, fire starters, matches, knives, clothes, boots, slingshots, candles, cookware, survival blankets and portable tents. Along with a backpack filled with survival items you would be able to withstand many emergencies. Remember the saying of three, three minutes without air, three days without water and three weeks without food. Good luck. rockhound

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread