Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks IPUK...nothing new,,,it was quiet here for some time...I ponder on Fenn treasure poem once in a while to perfect my solve which one day I hope to try on the ground,,,,last summer I was in Lisbon and checked some old book shops(they have too many) of any treasure legend related books on Portugal in Portuguese or otherwise.But couldn't come across any useful book,I also checked if there are old books on Flor de LA Mar ship that sunk off the coast of sumatra but none(the central bibliotheque may have primary docs on that).
How about you? What are you up to? Were you Treasure researching in India?

Good angle; I would hazard a guess that Portuguese treasure stories and leads perhaps have not been as well looked into as Spanish ones. It might be worth checking the Brazilian angle for Portugal's colonial rule there and on the west coast of India mainly in Goa. I do recall off the top of my head a story about the Portuguese viceroy losing his ship on the way back from India with a huge treasure obtained from tribute and taxes from local rajahs.

I have been in India trying to complete a project which turned out to be a damp squib due to logistics, local bureaucracy and getting adequate skilled contractors in. I had made a few trips beforehand and had looked into a legend where a local river was used to obtain 'blessings' from gods in times gone by. The river is no big secret in north-west India and had been "done" before. But I was hoping something may have been overlooked...

In central India there is an American chap who has reaped some very decent rewards by such a method.

But you live and learn and benefit from the experience. If anything, my hunger has sharpened considerably and my love for this work has been heightened. One thing I will say, sometimes its easy to act as a 'middleman' for finders as oppose to doing the finding for yourself - maybe even a mixture of the two.

I have heard more stories, made more contacts, gained more skills and knowledge so its not all that bad.

Lets keep discussing and see what we can come up with.

Now where's that wily old birdy....

IPUK

Thanks IPUK...you seemed to have a good expereince and insightful trip in in India..wish you all the best,,,
Yeah there are many Portuguese related treasure ship wrecks either enrout to Portugal from colonies and more importantly around the waters of Portugal including the river Tejo that passes Lisbon into the Atlantic....but I was hoping to find treasure legends of the muslim Moors who ruled some parts of Portugal in olden times as there are scant and vague legends here and there of retreating Moors burying treasure as they were forced from Portuguese forces from the North...but Alas nothing substantial.
But for wreck treasure hunting I have the impression there had been many salvages and attempts in the past to the point that one angry Portuguese underwater archeologist wrote an article against foriegn treasure hunters and government officials describing the phases and laws in timeline.It is a good and funny reading ,as it will shed light in some treasure legends as well.check it.
https://www.abc.se/~pa/publ/monteiro.htm

p.s.Crow just finished a good yarn.Hope he gives us another..

TT

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh what a life Crow - please, please let me follow in your footsteps and lead such an existence....:notworthy:

TT, good stuff, had a read on that link, seems that chap has a few issues to clear and let-off some steam. That angle with the Moors might be a very good one indeed in the long-run. North Africa on the shores of the Med Sea would offer some serious secrets in my opinion but is just not feasible or very practical with the situation currently being played out there.

Have been trying to play catch-up with EL Crow's latest intriguing offering, so much for those that believe/believed that Cocos Island was a mere chimera. Old Bookaroo is also convinced (believe there's a book documenting the story) that more treasure was recovered from the island at the beginning of the 20th century from a crew that set sail from San Francisco I believe and used the cache to buy a silver mine or mines out in California.

Even in this day and age of globalisation, social media, depleting resources and ever-encroaching human settlement, there is some serious stuff out there waiting the lucky discoverer. Of course fortune and luck favour the brave and hardworking.

There is no denying that those that put their heart and soul into a project, don't lose heart or focus, keep the faith whilst being realistic about success and possible events and treasure stories, willing to take a 'lil risk now and then, might just make a find that will surely warm the cockles of any heart.:occasion14:

Keep at it fella.

IPUK

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
TT being in Europe you have limitless amount of treasures to search for. There is many Nazi treasure hidden in Europe

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just for fun I ask you all how far do you think the Romans physically traveled down the coast of Africa?

Crow

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say on the west Coast, pretty far.

On the east, pretty far as well, perhaps using the ancient Nile course. I do know that the Romans traded with India and the Far East using naval routes.

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, one thing in Europe which is a true pain in the a#rse is the stifling amount of rigidity and bureaucracy and how negatively the word "treasure" conjures up in people's imaginations (maybe more than one thing I've mentioned there).

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, thinking about it, I believe a great Imperial Chinese armada reached the eastern coast of Africa during the 12th or 13th century as well if memory serves me correctly. Those oldies were made of some real stern stuff with a spirit of adventure and exploration we can only dream of.

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT being in Europe you have limitless amount of treasures to search for. There is many Nazi treasure hidden in Europe

Crow

Thanks Crow..Sure the Alpine regions of Austria and southern Germany (Bavaria) and boarders of Czech have yet to reveal their secrets of Nazi loot...not to mention Polish gold train saga...
By the way Crow earlier this year you gave me a pirate treasure find clipping of newspaper in Nazre Portugal suggesting worth checking the area...I did go to the beach town of Nazare just for recon and sightseeing...with the right preparation I believe it is a good place to investigate ,,,but from just a casual survey of the area I could not figure out where the old pirate hideout would be...because the treasures scattered by the earthquake were determined as coming out of a secret cave underneath such pirate hideout bordering the sea...I had some hunch on a certain area but was not easily accessible and was not ready to hike anyway...the local museum was closed that day to make any enquiry of that treasure find and possible location of the pirate hideout....But the city is beautiful actually consisting of three parts (beach town and two mountain towns).Thanks anyway for the info maybe will look at it more carefully in the future.
On another note the city of Cosenza have started a serious treasure search initiative to find Alaric tomb including the Menorah legend...it was all over the news following the Polish gold train story...

TT

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh what a life Crow - please, please let me follow in your footsteps and lead such an existence....:notworthy:

TT, good stuff, had a read on that link, seems that chap has a few issues to clear and let-off some steam. That angle with the Moors might be a very good one indeed in the long-run. North Africa on the shores of the Med Sea would offer some serious secrets in my opinion but is just not feasible or very practical with the situation currently being played out there.

Have been trying to play catch-up with EL Crow's latest intriguing offering, so much for those that believe/believed that Cocos Island was a mere chimera. Old Bookaroo is also convinced (believe there's a book documenting the story) that more treasure was recovered from the island at the beginning of the 20th century from a crew that set sail from San Francisco I believe and used the cache to buy a silver mine or mines out in California.

Even in this day and age of globalisation, social media, depleting resources and ever-encroaching human settlement, there is some serious stuff out there waiting the lucky discoverer. Of course fortune and luck favour the brave and hardworking.

There is no denying that those that put their heart and soul into a project, don't lose heart or focus, keep the faith whilst being realistic about success and possible events and treasure stories, willing to take a 'lil risk now and then, might just make a find that will surely warm the cockles of any heart.:occasion14:

Keep at it fella.

IPUK

IPUK...the guy wrote the article in 1998,,,maybe now he is here in this forum enjoying the yarns,,8-)

TT

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow, one thing in Europe which is a true pain in the a#rse is the stifling amount of rigidity and bureaucracy and how negatively the word "treasure" conjures up in people's imaginations (maybe more than one thing I've mentioned there).

IPUK ,,,true,,but UK seems to be open about metal detecting compared to others...I also couldn't fail to see a steady treasure find in UK in recent times involving roman coin hoards or viking hoards ...maybe it is good if you try to follow the treasure find locations(roman and viking separately) and pinpoint them on a map and eventually a pattern may emerge that may help to search new locations...
TT

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT

This chap certainly has some 'interesting' character quirks that would fit certain profiles..:laughing7:

IPUK

PS. Have you been to Switzerland yet?

I did a few trips there and it is a special place in many ways. Meet some very interesting people and they have some super set-ups there..

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IPUK ,,,true,,but UK seems to be open about metal detecting compared to others...I also couldn't fail to see a steady treasure find in UK in recent times involving roman coin hoards or viking hoards ...maybe it is good if you try to follow the treasure find locations(roman and viking separately) and pinpoint them on a map and eventually a pattern may emerge that may help to search new locations...
TT

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT

Very good point TT, we have some sensible Treasure Trove laws here in Britain. The metal detector enthusiasts sign or agree a simple agreement with the landowners, usually farmers, to detect on their property and if they strike it rich, the state pays a fair price for their find. Its to keep treasures intact and not drive it underground. And you make a further valid point that some interesting hoards have been uncovered. But it is mainly be 'weekend enthusiasts' and there is only a small chance of coming across a "biggie".

IPUK

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TT

This chap certainly has some 'interesting' character quirks that would fit certain profiles..:laughing7:

IPUK

PS. Have you been to Switzerland yet?

I did a few trips there and it is a special place in many ways. Meet some very interesting people and they have some super set-ups there..

IPUK....once only in Zurich for few days of vacation some years back,,nice city...but didn't visit other cities like Geneva....maybe the templar treasure landed there ..kkk...

TT

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say on the west Coast, pretty far.

On the east, pretty far as well, perhaps using the ancient Nile course. I do know that the Romans traded with India and the Far East using naval routes.

As you can see below a map of roman trade routes in the first century.

instituciones-greco-romanas-2 small.jpg

Many years ago I was researching a man by the name Raymond Simmons. He and the son of a very famous author plundered treasure from tombs in ruined city on east coasts of Africa. Hardly known to the outside world. It led me to discover a a Roman fort on a island on the African coast. In a place that historians and archaeologists are adamant that Romans never went there themselves only traded with traders from that region. Yet I could show them ruins of a fort a town and remains of a temple to cult of Mithrase. Ironic is it not many in archaeological profession have such a negative image of people like me. But close their ears and eyes out of elitism.

IMG_0448.jpg

Such is the negative image one gets with that horrible tag treasure hunter.

Crow.

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to show you a close up of the carved out niche where and idol was placed. this was a secret underground religion that was worship by the Roman legionaries which said originated from Africa and India.

IMG_0442.jpg

Crow

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see below a map of roman trade routes in the first century.

View attachment 1242184

Many years ago I was researching a man by the name Raymond Simmons. He and the son of a very famous author plundered treasure from tombs in ruined city on east coasts of Africa. Hardly known to the outside world. It led me to discover a a Roman fort on a island on the African coast. In a place that historians and archaeologists are adamant that Romans never went there themselves only traded with traders from that region. Yet I could show them ruins of a fort a town and remains of a temple to cult of Mithrase. Ironic is it not many in archaeological profession have such a negative image of people like me. But close their ears and eyes out elitism.

View attachment 1242185

Such is the negative image one gets with that horrible tag treasure hunter.

Crow.
This is quite a sensational discovery Crow!..which country was it in eastern Africa?

p.s.the rivalry between archeologists and treasure hunters is similar to the rivalry in fictional stories of private detectives and police officers :laughing7:
In my opinion everyone should be accountable to his own conscience in doing the right thing ,,but the tag that treasure hunters are harmful while archaoelogists are the good guys is rather very unfair...history is full of official archeologists that robbed entire nations of relics around the world...
Blanket generalizations are not fair always...there are responsible Treasure hunters as well as archologists ...there could be irresponsible treasure hunters and archeologists...both have both worlds in my opinion...

TT

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Crow..Sure the Alpine regions of Austria and southern Germany (Bavaria) and boarders of Czech have yet to reveal their secrets of Nazi loot...not to mention Polish gold train saga...
By the way Crow earlier this year you gave me a pirate treasure find clipping of newspaper in Nazre Portugal suggesting worth checking the area...I did go to the beach town of Nazare just for recon and sightseeing...with the right preparation I believe it is a good place to investigate ,,,but from just a casual survey of the area I could not figure out where the old pirate hideout would be...because the treasures scattered by the earthquake were determined as coming out of a secret cave underneath such pirate hideout bordering the sea...I had some hunch on a certain area but was not easily accessible and was not ready to hike anyway...the local museum was closed that day to make any enquiry of that treasure find and possible location of the pirate hideout....But the city is beautiful actually consisting of three parts (beach town and two mountain towns).Thanks anyway for the info maybe will look at it more carefully in the future.
On another note the city of Cosenza have started a serious treasure search initiative to find Alaric tomb including the Menorah legend...it was all over the news following the Polish gold train story...

TT

If the Following pictures do not get ya moving nothing will. This is pictures of what the largest buried treasure in history looked like the vast hidden loot of Nazis in Merker Salt mine. A vast cavern of treasure.

battle_none2.jpg

398660347-silver-spoon-nazi-gold-reichsbank-merkers-mine.jpg

667909193-ingot-merkers-mine-seizuring-gold-bar.jpg

HYb.jpg

That was the official Nazi treasure found after the war. What is not account for is treasure many Nazi squirreled away in secret when they realized the war was over for Germany, their own private looted stashes. It appears the top and lower echelons of Nazi regime all looted treasure in private. Many indeed must due to various reason still lay hidden where they were buried before end of WW2.

psss Want see a real Nazi treasure map?

Some thing to dream about. Speaking of dreaming its late and time for this old bird to hit the nest...

Crow

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread