Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
Unicorn mi britland luv, post away. this about misc adventures and experiences of treasure hunters. You are most certainly included.

It isn't all about shooting varmints that are trying to steal your new found treasure, but the many experiences leading up to it..

I am being a bit too gory and violent in some of my posts because I had promised to post them to encourage a Tayopa hunter from
sheep country to post his adventures in Alaska and the desert west with Beth.

In a bit I will post more on the "perils of Jose". Don Jose that is.

Don Jose de La Mancha

I realize that this reply was addressed to our mutual amigo Unicorn, but it has raised questions for me.

First, perhaps I misunderstood - do you spell that title "misc adventures and experiences of treasure hunters"
or is it "MIS-adventures and experiences of treasure hunters"? ;D

Next, that fellow in the sheep country - do you mean our mutual amigo Pronghorn? :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

As for my reliability for protection of a partner - you need not ever have any concern about that matter amigo, you can count on me standing behind you! ;D :thumbsup: <I am not specifying about how far back behind you that might be, but it will be within the range of three feet to six miles or so!>

Bears, mountain lions, wolves, rattlesnakes, scorpions, bandidos and drug smugglers all make the avocation of treasure hunting more interesting. I guess the story of how I learned the importance of carrying a firearm may be amusing.

A partner and I had spent most of the summer in the Arctic, split about evenly between Yukon and Alaska, and had little luck in finding anything worth bothering with so decided to try a creek that had been mentioned in a 'gold rush' diary from 1901, on the Seward peninsula north of Nome. (It always sounds odd to hear someone say "north of Nome" but Nome city lies on the south coast of the peninsula, which is about the size of West Virginia. So you can go north, but not so easily south.)

The creek was quite a hike from the nearest place you could drive to, and since we had been forced to lug heavy high powered rifles thanks to Canadian restrictions on handguns for nearly three months without once encountering a bear (except the black bears raiding camp at night) we decided not to lug those things along. Hiking across the ridges is not so bad there but the valleys tend to be largely covered in muskeg - and anyone who ever hiked across muskeg can testify to how tiring that is. With the long days at the high latitude, we had plenty of time to set up camp, pushed on to the creek and got our samples panned out, and since it was still not dark we set up the corner monuments for our claims as it had turned out to be a pretty good prospect. Needless to say we were both feeling pretty beat and tired when we finished up, the sun had set and it was getting harder to see when we started hiking back for our camp. The route to the camp passed through some large thickets of willows that grow about ten feet high, and we had seen old bear tracks and sign about but nothing newer than a month old so were not concerned in the least, just trudging along and forgetting to either whistle, sing or talk - always make noise in bear country!

As we neared the thicket, my partner said "Did you hear that?" and I had to say I did, something like a "woof". Just as I said yes, the bear stood up in front of me and popped his jaws making a loud "pop" and less than twenty feet away. He looked like a giant to me, as he stood taller by a full head than the willows which we estimated at ten feet. I reached instinctively for the sling of the rifle, which was safely packed in a case in our camp!

I stepped backward, and we very quietly backed away while trying to look as tall and imposing as possible, and the bear stood there staring at us. He was in a direct line between us and our camp. As we got farther away from him, he finally went back to all fours but did not leave - I guess there were berries or perhaps a fresh kill he had and I was not about to dispute the matter with him. We ended up hiking at least three miles in a circuit around that bear to get to our camp, and were utterly dog-tired when we got to the tent.

Needless to say this was my first encounter with an Alaskan grizzly, and a good lesson about carrying a firearm - you may well never need it, but it is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

I am enjoying the stories, keep em coming!
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OROBLANCO,
GREAT STORY.... WELL TOLD!!
AND I THINK THAT GOODYGUY HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD ABOUT THESE STORIES.
THE ONES THAT I HAVE READ HERE ARE BETTER AND CLEARLY MORE BELIEVEABLE THAN THOSE BOOKS THAT I HAVE READ SOOOOO MANY OF. THEY ARE LIKE SITTING AROUND THE CAMPFIRE AND SWAPING YARNS.

WELL IT'S MIDNIGHT AND IT'S TIME TO PUT OUT THE FIRE AND HIT THE SACK.

OH YEAH, THANKS, DON JOSE FOR GETTING THIS STARTED.

:coffee2: :coffee2:
PROSPECTORMIKEL

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey People..... Beth is a good lady, be kind to her. I love the pictures. I am wondering what would happen if the bear caught the man. He sure can run fast.

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
My story has nothing to do with TH. It's just a tale they I have passed on to my kids, and now the g/kiddies.
My brother and I were just children during WW11, we grew up in a City that produced "arms" for the War and so it was heavily bombed. During the latter end of the War, my Father, who was formely a fireman, but was by then in the RNVR was posted to Plymouth to take charge of the two Naval Dockyards fire brigades. This was his first posting that as a family we could all go together. Although Plymouth was a major port of call for many War ships, and as such the Town had been heavily bombed as well. But for us as kids it was a real adventure. To see the sea for the first time, and to actually live in the dockyard as well, wow, it was a kids heaven.
One day my brother and I decided to have a picnic. We knew nothing about the correct ways of lighting a fire, so proceeded to just light a match to the grass that was at the side of the house. Ouch!!! wrong thing. In no time at all the whole darn field was happily blazing away. By now we were in a complete state of fear and panic, rushing into the house to tell Mum what was happening, she of course had to phone the dockyard fire brigade. Yes you have probably guessed what happened, my Father's team was called out to extinguish what was by that time a rather dangerous fire. Boy!!! did we get a good telling off, and a rather sore btm. To think that the fire that 'we' had started could have seriously damaged a naval dockyard.

I do have another tale to tell about an unexploded bomb and kiddies playing around it if anyone want's to hear it.

Sorry if I had butted in with your Treasure hunting tales, perhaps I have been waiting to get that off my chest for all of these years. lol

Kind regards 'U'

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'M NOT SURE, BUT I THINK IT'S AGAINST THE RULES FOR UNICORNS TO PLAY WITH MATCHES.
:read2:
:sign13:
PLEASE DO TELL THE OTHER STORY.

MIKEL

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI mi luvs Britland and beth post away, luv both of your stories hmm did you say an unexploded bomb? yech,

Speak ,Britland woman, you have permission. ORO does Beth gal have your permission to speak also?

Beth our mikle has visual problems and needs to type in large letters, OK with you ?

Don Jose de la Mancha

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whew! Good thing!!! Can you imagine a shovel or some digging item getting hung up in the pin and pulling it out??

Glad it was a "safe" dig!! (though, I might have had to change my underwear) :thumbsup: :coffee2:

Beth

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
It's amazing how kiddies seem to be completely unaware of danger, on reflection you do wonder how some of us came through the War all in one piece.
It was the night that our neighbouring City of Coventry was almost 'raised to the ground'. It started early in the evening, and incidentally it was the night that an incendiary bomb landed on our house, which we were in at the time. Being early evening, we hadn't as yet made our nightly trek down into the Anderson shelter. The bomb fortunately had landed in a bedroom and hadn't burned through to the downstairs. As you can imagine, in times like these, friends and neighbours are linked together just like one big family. So knowing that my Father was away, neighbours came to our rescue and helped Mum and us kiddies out, and down to the shelter. That night was pretty awful for us all, we were close to Coventry which meant that we 'had ' it as well. A memory that will always stay with me, was looking out during the night, and the whole of the sky as far as you could see was glowing red. The street that we lived in was pretty well all demolished, and yet we kiddies never felt any fear, strange eh!!!
Next morning the kiddies of our street that were left, went outside to 'play' our favourite game which was to find the biggest piece of schrapnel, and to look and see who's house had been bombed. Those bombsites were our playground. It was after awhile that we found a bomb, we didn't know if it was unexploded or what, we just knew it was fun to throw stones at. Lordy, if only we had known the danger. Well my Father arrived home after a night of fire fighting, and saw us kids playing around this 'thing' As you can imagine all hell broke loose, the street was quickly evacuated as Dad alerted the authorities. After that I just cannot remember what they did, I guess it was de-activated. It's hard to imagine now, how lucky our family was to come through the War physically unharmed. I cannot honestly say mentally as well, because there are just some memories that never leave you.

I do have other tales as well but I don't want to outstay my welcome in this TH tales thread.

regards 'U'

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI britland broad, You have been given permisson to speak, now you are 'ordered' to post.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s what you have posted is a part of ww-2 that is never mentioned and should be. How was the chow for example ? Bathroom facilities during an air raid? What does the concussion of a near by explosion feel like in a shelter?

We need all phases and types of stories in here. That sheep luvin, would be cowboy from sheep land, reminds me of that old saying about looking for a wife, "sometimes the looking is far better than the knowing".

This, coupled with Beth telling me that he can out run her, is giving me uncomfortable thoughts. heehee.--

Don Jose de la Mancha

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Really - how did we survive our childhood? The words that scared my mother the worst was "Mom, I hurt myself". (this was reserved for things like almost severing my big toe and sledding into a huge slab of rock).

Boy - talk about good old fashion fun! :help: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Beth

PS - Jose, he is younger than me - he can run faster!!!

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
El Tropical Tramp wrote
ORO does Beth gal have your permission to speak also?

NO! Gol-dang it she will be telling all the most embarrassing parts, and leaving out all those great heroic-machismo type deeds! :cussing: >:D

Don't listen to her about how fast the running is either, it always depends on just what is chasing ya! :o ;D

More please, and this means you too Unicorn!

:happy1: :read2: :thumbsup:

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IT HASN'T BEEN SO LONG AGO, FOR ME THAT I COULD RUN FASTER AFRAID, THAN MY WIFE COULD RUN ANGRY.

NOW DAYS I HAVE LEARNED TO WATCH WHAT I SAY. SHE DOESN'T CHASE ME ANY MORE...
SHE JUST WAITS FOR ME TO COME BACK TO THE SCENE OF THE CRIME!!!!

:coffee2:
:coffee2:
MIKEL

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ProspectorMikel,

2 things I can say to that.

1. Flying objects travel faster than you can run (as in a rolling pin)

2. You gotta go to sleep sometime.............................................(as in - You're right honey, now go to sleep.............)

:thumbsup: :laughing7: :laughing7: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Beth

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Those were my thoughts rockhound, but Don Jose gave the go ahead for the stories. I still kinda wonder if it's the right place though. Mind he did 'order' me to go ahead, but then I don't take orders from a man very easily.. eh what!!!! :icon_scratch:.. :D.. :hello:

'U'

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
I tried posting this story a couple of days ago but when I hit the post button it must have flown off to e-mail heaven because it never showed up here. If it ever decides to come back to earth, you will know why the same story showed up twice.LOL.

Some of you older folks might remember the old Walt Disney shows about Davey Crockett. I remember one show where Davey tried to grin a bear to death. Something similar happened to me about 20 years ago when I was on a treasure hunt close to the Mississippi River.

Back in those days I did carry a gun when I went down by the river. Snakes give me the creeps, and carrying a six shooter seemed like a more manly thing to do than rolling up into a ball and sticking my thumb in my mouth whenever I saw a snake. I was going into a pretty secluded area to do some detecting at the site of an old river town that was destroyed by a flood back in the 1850s. When I was a kid, a treasure hunter had found a pot full of California gold coins in that area so I thought I would see if I could get lucky. About a mile away from the river was a small parking area that was put there for hunters and fisherman. There was another car there but I didn't see anyone else around. I parked next to the other car and got out to get my equipment out of my trunk. As I was pulling my metal detector and pack out of my trunk, I heard some guy say, "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I looked up to see a guy standing there with a shotgun leveled at me. If you have ever been in a similar situation, you know that your mind can process information very quickly. In the matter of a couple of seconds I noticed a few things. The back part of my car was between his shotgun and me. He had his shotgun levelled at me with his right hand and in his left hand he held three dead squirrels. He had a single shot shotgun. Right away I figured he wasn't too serious or he would have dropped the squirrels and used both hands to cover me. If he did take a shot, he would have hit my car and then I would have had six shots at him. Like I said, just a second to process this. The only thing I could do was smile. LOL. I gave that guy the biggest grin I had and said,"Hi. How are you today?" His jaw dropped and as he lowered his shotgun he said,"Mister, I'm really sorry. I thought you were breaking into my trunk." I looked at his car and saw that they were similar in size and the same color. If I had panicked and gone for my gun, it could have been bloodier than Dodge City on a Saturday night. As it was, we shot the bull for a couple of minutes and went our own way. He got to go home and cook up his squirrels and drink a couple of beers, and I got to fight my way through the brush and mosquitos for several hours and not find a darn thing. LOL.
MD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions