Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And like last year this time period, I dedicate a song to our treasure hunter ladies

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m going to let a little bit of this out until I can scan the other articles into my phone. I mentioned this story some time ago.. maybe years ago, but now I have the newspaper articles to do the talking.

My Dad had taken off from police work to get some bills paid off, by working in the oil field for a while.
Money was better, by far.

He was still a detective at heart and noticed things that most folks just would never see.

He treated this like a crime scene and was careful with how much, or little to do.

I have a file folder full of information.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1571288038.275609.jpg

This was in 1977!

It is in the Smithsonian now.... somewhere!

#/;0{>~

Last edited:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m going to let a little bit of this out until I can scan the other articles into my phone. I mentioned this story some time ago.. maybe years ago, but now I have the newspaper articles to do the talking.

My Dad had taken off from police work to get some bills paid off, by working in the oil field for a while.
Money was better, by far.

He was still a detective at heart and noticed things that most folks just would never see.

He treated this like a crime scene and was careful with how much, or little to do.

I have a file folder full of information.

View attachment 1762435

This was in 1977!

It is in the Smithsonian now.... somewhere!

#/;0{>~

I guess I missed your story? Odessa Texas?

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Odessa, TEXAS.
And I am sure that it predates our Fearless Leader!

I really had hoped to scan the rest of the newspaper clippings into my phone today, but I have had a very eventful day today.

So, maybe tomorrow...
I really want better images than I can take with my iPhone.
Forty two years can take its toll on old news paper.

It has been quite a long time since I mentioned this, and after waiting all that time to get my hands on the evidence, I want it to be readable.

It’s a new scanner and I have to learn how to use it.

#/;0{>~

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look what was on the radio this morning. So I searched local news. The word skull is mis-spelled toward the end in this report.

"Sheriff’s office looking for human skull in cold case
NEWS
by: Erin Sullivan

Posted: Oct 17, 2019 / 10:47 AM CDT / Updated: Oct 17, 2019 / 10:47 AM CDT

LAWRENCE COUNTY, Mo. — The Lawrence County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help in solving a decades old mystery involving a missing human skull.

Back in the late 1980’s some kids were playing in the woods between FR 1127 and FR 1120, north of Verona.

According to the sheriff’s office, the kids came across a skull, which they believed to be human. They told a parent, who told them to put it back where they found it.

The skill was tossed out into the weeds. The family has since moved from the area, and many other families have lived there over the years.

Law enforcement do not know where the skull is now, but are hoping someone has it or knows where it could be. Or, if someone has a skull and they aren’t sure of its origins, that they will let authorities inspect it.

If you have any information that could help in the cold case, you are asked to contact Lt. Chris Berry at 417-466-2131 ext. 2328 or by email at [email protected]"

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
)K, with a grain of salt. was sent home,why ? I was staying at a friends home. they had installed a large bed in a room leaving only about a foot of clearnace on each side clearnance on each side. I was laying there with tubes coming out of everywhere, I was confined to the bed. One night I woke up to find myself confined in what seemed to be a white hazy tunnel. I was alone,,,,, with no emotion except a feeling of peace. I remember that I commenced to think of my Bert, as I walked in this tunnel, /I knew that if I continued I would never be able tc return to my Berti, I stopped, thinking that she wasn't ready for this yet, I then commenced walking back, suddenly I found myself crammed betwen Bert's side of the bed and the wall. Somehow I had gotten up with alll of the drainage tubes from my side of the bed to hers and had fallen into a very cramped space. Then I remembered that I had read of others experience similar to mine and realized that I had a near death experience

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you pulled through Don Jose. Maybe the "Maker" didn't want you upstairs stirring up trouble :laughing7:
With all the adventures, set backs, and accomplishments in your life, have you thought about a .....................................book :tongue3:
Have you only had the "one" near death experience ? How about premonitions ?
I am still fascinated by your telepathy experiences.

Senor Don Jose, you furnish the coffee and I will bring the "Socks"
Socks for Sock coffe.jpg

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love that . Because you are so generous I will fill in the story for you . The rio Mayo drains the Eastern side of the sierra Obscuro, while the Yaqui drains the western side. Both start in the vicinity of Yecora. The Yaqui flows north, west, then south. The mayo is slightly east of Yecora then flows south.

San Luis Barbarocas is on the rio mayo about half way to Yecora from San Bernardo on the Eastern bank, inside of a large gentle curve.. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at it through binoculars. There is a junction there with the arroyo San Luis B which flows from the Eastern side of the Sierra Obscura..

Going up the Arroyo SLB to the west, you will see the remains of an unknown mission on the left hand side, south,. there is a large amount of hi grade gold stored in the subterranean vault, but the local Indians don't want it touched, even though the mission has been abandoned for centuries. Continue up the arroyo and again on your left , on a cliff, you will find a huge amount of paintings left by the Jesuits, according to the local Indians, the same ones that are guarding the mission.

Continue up the arroyo and on your right, north, you will see a small side canyon, go up this until you reach the cliff. The entrance to a cave is there, it is not large, but once inside it opens up. The locals have entered and found free gold on the floor, but are afraid of touching it.

The entire Sierra Obscuro sits on top of a layer of Limestone which has been cut and scoured out by the water flows in the past forming many long tunnels under the sierra. I imagine that the gold comes from the contact zone and as the lime stone is eroded, the Gold simply settles to the cave floor.

Continuing up the arroyo, you will come to a junction, the main one goes West to the backbone of the Sierra Obscure, while the right fork heads towards Tayopa. At the junction you will find a couple of small thatched shacks, lt is all that remains of the original village of the Tayopa Indian miners.

The entire arroyo carries Au, AG, & Pt. in placer deposits. More later if Oro de La Tayopa is in accord. ©@

p.s. Yes, I really do have Tayopa, despite the long delay in developing, or opening it, causing many legitiment doubts.

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love that . Because you are so generous I will fill in the story for you . The rio Mayo drains the Eastern side of the sierra Obscuro, while the Yaqui drains the western side. Both start in the vicinity of Yecora. The Yaqui flows north, west, then south. The mayo is slightly east of Yecora then flows south.

San Luis Barbarocas is on the rio mayo about half way to Yecora from San Bernardo on the Eastern bank, inside of a large gentle curve.. I have spent quite a bit of time looking at it through binoculars. There is a junction there with the arroyo San Luis B which flows from the Eastern side of the Sierra Obscura..

Going up the Arroyo SLB to the west, you will see the remains of an unknown mission on the left hand side, south,. there is a large amount of hi grade gold stored in the subterranean vault, but the local Indians don't want it touched, even though the mission has been abandoned for centuries. Continue up the arroyo and again on your left , on a cliff, you will find a huge amount of paintings left by the Jesuits, according to the local Indians, the same ones that are guarding the mission.

Continue up the arroyo and on your right, north, you will see a small side canyon, go up this until you reach the cliff. The entrance to a cave is there, it is not large, but once inside it opens up. The locals have entered and found free gold on the floor, but are afraid of touching it.

The entire Sierra Obscuro sits on top of a layer of Limestone which has been cut and scoured out by the water flows in the past forming many long tunnels under the sierra. I imagine that the gold comes from the contact zone and as the lime stone is eroded, the Gold simply settles to the cave floor.

Continuing up the arroyo, you will come to a junction, the main one goes West to the backbone of the Sierra Obscure, while the right fork heads towards Tayopa. At the junction you will find a couple of small thatched shacks, lt is all that remains of the original village of the Tayopa Indian miners.

The entire arroyo carries Au, AG, & Pt. in placer deposits. More later if Oro de La Tayopa is in accord. [emoji767]@

p.s. Yes, I really do have Tayopa, despite the long delay in developing, or opening it, causing many legitiment doubts.

I agree with M-Don. Fascinating!!
Jose, your clarity paints an amazing four dimensional picture.

#/;0{>~

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the great decription/story Don Jose. I passed through that part of the world in the early 70's as traveler, not yet a treasure hunter. Your post brought back great memories.

I once drove(with a bit of help from a come-a-long and a 100ft nylon rope) from Yepache to Yecora and on to Alamos, crossing the Rio Mayo along the way. We had consumed our entire 20 gallon diesel supply except for a 1 gallon can when we got to Yecora. I had been told that Yecora would have diesel but there was none. The next place with diesel was over 100 miles away so I mixed the 1 gal diesel with 1 quart motor oil and 20 liters of local mescal and poured it in the tank. With a bit of bang and clatter we drove to Obregon for fuel and on to Alamos for r&r.

I tried to add photos, but I guess the files are to large. I will work on it.

Thanks again Do Jose

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
white heart ,I know thal You must have driven over that country shortly after they opened it. I am sure that our friends around the campfire would love to hear of your trip.lof that region, Alamos is where I have my home. I arrived there in the 50's, took around a day from Navajoa each way,, dirt trail. At the summit, from Hermosillo side is where tou leave the comforts and head right, for what is now a three hr trip to Tayopa. You travel along the crest, south. It is a lumber road, but beautiful. Yes, please post. I am including a short on the Chi / Pacific rr. which crosses the sierras. Incidentally, I traveled over that route before they commenced constructing it. Post, Post. would love to hear of your trip
. 2:40 / 14:23
AVENTURATE: Tren Chepe. Barrancas del Cobre or just search for La Chepe..

Last edited:

White Heart

Sep 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do. I have just recently begun to digitize my 2 and a quarter slides.
First, that should have read 5 liter of mescal , not 20. It was way to hot of a mix anyway, I burnt one of the prechamber seats on the way to real fuel.
We stayed at the Enrique in Alamos for a few weeks, welding things back onto the car. I photographed all of the interesting doors and windows in town. Which door do you live behind?

I still have not solved the file size issue for pictures of the road. It was new but still had 100 yard of stairs at one crossing. It was buit by a general in 1968, I remember. Just a 2 track but it was the first connection over sierra in that region. I had set out to cross the spine country where ever possible. There were only 6 or 7 possible routes at the time, 2 of them being 4x4 trails. I first crossed from sonora up canon de Carreta to Janos. I think it was Coronados route. Then south through Casas Grandes. Took in the waters at the hot springs in Agua Caliente de Tutuaca and the headed for Yecora.

Here are picts of a hammer I was given in Santa Maria de Trinidad 2 years before the east- west crossing, which was in 1973. Found in an old tailings pile by a miner. It is my go to hammer. "Remember, don't force it. Just get a bigger hammer."

Hammerhead w_ scale-cleaned.jpg Hammerhead-cleaned.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread