Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of treasure...I wonder how much our good ole commander and cheat's businesses got from the 2.2 trillion dollars stimulus deal...lol...I am sure that quite a few business owners are getting the lion's share of the payments...They are prolly still paying themselves first...hahaha...And they will more than likely have their loans turn into grants in the end...

I wonder how many small mom and pop companies will go belly up???I guess that we'll just have to wait and see...

You guys come up with some really interesting tales...

Ed T

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello RC There person you found is the same person some times people with long names do not have their full name on official documents. I have a census of 1940 that shows his family. He was listed about 9 times entering united states he traveled the world. His first trip to America was around 1925. In 1938 he was in Japan. His business he is listed as merchant, chemical co owner and company head. But most of all I think what you found in google books is the same person. That chemical classification was a little misleading he was into nickel alloy iron processing.Liberia in 1940 had production of iron ore and tungsten.:thumbsup:

In all the official documents there is no mention of any cargo of gold or silver? While that does not mean there was no shipment of gold. The whole focus of the report was for the search and recovery of survivors or victims. The source of gold and silver came from a Washington newspaper. Here is a declassified list of the passengers.

report p1.JPG

Like Hardluck had said over 10 years ago. It had potential to research more....Other things got in the way.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Crow! Hello Everyone! Long time,,,

Today I thought to myself, let me check the forum as there could be some yarn to ponder in this lock down...and to my delight I saw old Crow with his captivating yarns..Thanks Crow..i liked the west African yarn quite well..hope you and the trio have been doing great over the past years...In past years, whenever i hear about a treasure discovery on the news, i would say "maybe it is trio behind the scenes" ,,8-)

Hope everyone is safe

TT

Hello TT

Its better to be behind the scenes than in a jail cell my friend.:tongue3: How are you these days have not gone cabin crazy from all the corona virus restrictions? I am just lurking here for a while to see if every one is okay. Technically I am retired with multiple income streams so it hard to get motivated these days. The Trio has made money and lost money on various big and small projects but are still in front so we cannot complain one bit. Plus I have been spending some quality time with my little lad. So I do not get the time to post often these days....

Crow

Last edited:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Crow,

Thanks amigo. Praise God I am fine. It is good that you are having quality time with your family as that is more than finding a lost treasure. In this lockdown, you can now relax in your living room and tell your captivating yarns to your family to pass the boring time. All the best.

TT

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT My place feels like an asylum some days with my little pirate wanting to got out places. But I cannot complain. There is a lot more people suffering these days much worse either from the virus or unemployment.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of treasure...I wonder how much our good ole commander and cheat's businesses got from the 2.2 trillion dollars stimulus deal...lol...I am sure that quite a few business owners are getting the lion's share of the payments...They are prolly still paying themselves first...hahaha...And they will more than likely have their loans turn into grants in the end...

I wonder how many small mom and pop companies will go belly up???I guess that we'll just have to wait and see...

You guys come up with some really interesting tales...

Ed T

Hello Ed There is much I agree with you but alas I have refrain from commenting as it would be is straying into politics.

Crow

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Ed There is much I agree with you but alas I have refrain from commenting as it would be is straying into politics.

Crow

I am not trying to be political Crow...I am just saying that our country has prolly lost several hundreds of billions already in lost gdp and it looks like we will lose much more before things get better...Heck...There are so many mom and pop farmers who are plowing their crops under...Corporate America could possibly be the only survivors the way things are going...There are still quite a few mom and pop businesses that are still plowing forward though...Who knows what the new face of America will look like once this thing is over???

Who knows what tomorrow holds...There is quite a bit of treasure to be had...Heck...I am pretty sure that everyone knew that sooner or later the balloon would pop...

Mary Mary will more than likely come out smelling like a rotten rose...But what do I know???

Ed T

Last edited:

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, if you were obliquly referring to Victorio Peak it was a Jesuit operation. Curious how it disapeared to ----?? That was composed of basically Tayopa dore bars. NP's lil map showed that, plus other iJesuit deposits in the Caballo mts. His lil map helped me to find three other Jesuit and Spanish mines, all in present Sonora.

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was playing with my cumputer and found this. Crow, was he any relation to our hardluck?

Jun 2004
641 times
LUE clue...the Obit of Hardrock Hammond
A couple of interesting tidbits in here for the LUE and for a couple other treasures.
---------------
WILBUR ALLEN HAMMOND, known around the world as “Hardrock” Hammond, passed away at the Veteran's Hospital at Long Beach, California on 13 July 1968 and was interred at the Veterans National Cemetery in Los Angeles 19 July.

Hammond established his place in American aviation by building and flying his own airplane in Wisconsin in 1911 and was probably the first military aviator in America although he never claimed this distinction. He flew for the British, French and American forces in World War I and then returned to the United States to establish several airplane manufacturing companies and a number of flying schools.

His father was a mine operator in California and Oregon and,, after serving in World War II as an officer and training executive, Hammond returned to prospecting and mining. As a more or less extremely profitable avocation, he engaged in treasure hunting.

Among his more notable accomplishments in mining and treasure hunting he is credited with establishing the firm of 'Hammond and Associates' which located the 'Ajo' treasure cache, the LUE treasure, and the Rosarita treasure cache in Baja California. The term “hammondizing” relates to a process he developed for reducing ingots and amalgam to a natural nugget or coarse form. This process is in worldwide use today.

He was a Master Mason, an Elk, an eagle, a charter member of the Circle of Companions and an honorary member of numerous mining, prospecting and treasure hunting clubs.
----------
This ran in the Nov-Dec 1968 issue of Art Lassagne’s “Gold Bug Newsletter” as well as the November 1968 issue of “The Prospector Club International” and the October 1968 issue of Johnny Pounds “The Treasure Hunter.” All of these obits are identical, though the original source is unstated.

Review of cemetery records suggests Hardrock was born January 23, 1893.s idleyplaying with my computer and look what I came up with! Was he by any chanc any relation to our Hardluck?

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I was playing with my cumputer and found this. Crow, was he any relation to our hardluck?

Jun 2004
641 times
LUE clue...the Obit of Hardrock Hammond
A couple of interesting tidbits in here for the LUE and for a couple other treasures.
---------------
WILBUR ALLEN HAMMOND, known around the world as “Hardrock” Hammond, passed away at the Veteran's Hospital at Long Beach, California on 13 July 1968 and was interred at the Veterans National Cemetery in Los Angeles 19 July.

Hammond established his place in American aviation by building and flying his own airplane in Wisconsin in 1911 and was probably the first military aviator in America although he never claimed this distinction. He flew for the British, French and American forces in World War I and then returned to the United States to establish several airplane manufacturing companies and a number of flying schools.

His father was a mine operator in California and Oregon and,, after serving in World War II as an officer and training executive, Hammond returned to prospecting and mining. As a more or less extremely profitable avocation, he engaged in treasure hunting.

Among his more notable accomplishments in mining and treasure hunting he is credited with establishing the firm of 'Hammond and Associates' which located the 'Ajo' treasure cache, the LUE treasure, and the Rosarita treasure cache in Baja California. The term “hammondizing” relates to a process he developed for reducing ingots and amalgam to a natural nugget or coarse form. This process is in worldwide use today.

He was a Master Mason, an Elk, an eagle, a charter member of the Circle of Companions and an honorary member of numerous mining, prospecting and treasure hunting clubs.
----------
This ran in the Nov-Dec 1968 issue of Art Lassagne’s “Gold Bug Newsletter” as well as the November 1968 issue of “The Prospector Club International” and the October 1968 issue of Johnny Pounds “The Treasure Hunter.” All of these obits are identical, though the original source is unstated.

Review of cemetery records suggests Hardrock was born January 23, 1893.s idleyplaying with my computer and look what I came up with! Was he by any chanc any relation to our Hardluck?

Hello Don Jose Amigo.

Sadly Hardluck is not a relation to Hardrock Hammond. Hardlucks origins what he calls his PHD....Poverty, Hunger and Destitution...

Crow

InAustralia.Jones

Mar 16, 2016
Detector(s) used
MineLab - GP3000, GPX4500, GPX5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 75 years there is no one alive connected to the accident and even working on the premise that an aircraft could be heard about 10 kilometers about 6.2 miles away the radius of search zone with still be 52 kilometers of jungle about 52 mile. And of course that figure might not take in considering radial piston engines that are a ugly grunty beast....:laughing7:

View attachment 1825242

However even locality and settlement is not accurately placed on google earth the settlement sits a little more east of where they have placed the name. Crow

Hi Crow, that area is large and mountainous, if they were carrying gold and in trouble most experienced pilots follow a lake or river.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Crow, that area is large and mountainous, if they were carrying gold and in trouble most experienced pilots follow a lake or river.

Gidday InAustralia.Jones

The C47 aircraft had a ceiling of 23000 feet so the mountains anywhere Liberia should of not been an issue for flying unless poor flying conditions by tropical temperature inversion zones. But even so the DC3 was more than capable with ampule range.

However there is a theory some suspect that they had a engine feathering issue with one of engines. If it was at a critical moment in flight while the feathering happened to one of the engines and possible problem dealing with extreme weather conditions there is button to push on the engine controls to rectify the problem. However by mid 1945 placement button unit was very different in operation. As older models was being replaced. The older model you screw the button and newer button you push in and hold. If the flight crew during excessive multi tasking mixed up old procedure with the new procedure. Feathering under full thrust would of caused the radial piston engine to vibrate severally to the point the main hydrophilic fuel that pass behind the two key engine anchor points of the air frame can rupture causing a fires with engine still operating and fuel still being pumped to engine could of caused a catastrophic fire and airplane. While the air craft has built in Engine fire fighting system 2 canister that give 30 second burst. To smother the flames. Yet with fuel still being pumped to the engine the fire is so intense the main hydraulic controls for elevator fail. Thus altering the flight characteristics with one in full throttle and the problem engine feathering on fire with no control on one side of aircraft invariable at altitude. The guess as later DC3 accidents caused by inflight feathering incidents that fire if engine is not turned off, the fire can burn the engine off the wing in. That could happen in one or two minutes. Thus the assumption in the critical period confusion perhaps over feathering switch gave enough time for for the other catastrophic events to happen. The result may been complete failure of wing structure. Caused the plane to nose dive to the ground. Of course that is one theory we will never know for sure.

Here is clip about variable pitch propellers and feathering how the DC 3 can fly on a DC3.

The searches consisted of 4 different searches. One the direct route about 750 miles from Monrovia to Accra and then 75 miles on each side of that direct line. They search along the coast with visual 10 miles out to sea plus a further 25 radar scan from Monrovia to Accra. They then called in various villages along the coast many which was on rivers flowing from the inland offering rewards for any information of debris.

With the use of budget of 4000 dollars the the army air force commander encouraged missionaries to visit remote villages asking for information. Although missionaries was very enthusiastic none of the information received was considered relevant as local chiefs saw the money being offered. Also the lighthouse a Cape Palmas was also a coast watch station reported no aircraft sighted on the day of disappearance.

Crow

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
In the story in of DC3 crashing in Canada was a similar problem they managed to find the engine that sheered off and tell the tale sign of the fire in the engine bay. The crew of 3 initially survived as they had only just taken off only up 1000 meters and pilots put her down in the river as she was uncontrollable to fly. That flight was 2 and half minutes from taking off they never time for anything else. The C47 in Liberia was maybe 10000 - 15000 feet over jungle an no real options if a similar thing occurred.

There was procedure failing in Monrovia that route taken was at the discretion of pilots decision due to wind and weather data. Either follow the coast or more direct flight. The only requirement was radio check quarter way through the flight. That said the DC3 was tough old hardworking beast. However like all aircraft they have their little quirks. Not knowing them you cam pay dearly for it.

That said they have distinct sound The have this low rumble like a big block V8. No stealth about it not like modern more quieter engine aircraft gust sheer grunt saying I am coming regardless if you like it or not. The radial piston engines was fuel guzzling behemoth. When we being picked up on some remote airstrip in new guinea we could hear the engines rumbling over the mountains before we see her. Ya never forget the sound.

Crow

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
row, I am goingto tell you of another pecularity of the DC-3. If you have dificulty lowering the gear, remember the braks are always connected, whether up down. so you have to make an extendeed approach , line up with the runway, have the co - pilot shut off the motors, engage the starter, get one blade on each bengine vertivle and land with your air craft dead stick. All you have to do is jack up the aircraft, work on the brakes, no damage to the aircraft, the gear retracted will permit the asircraft to cllear the props, and the brakes vwill work just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread