Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is really cool Crow,,,sailing the pacific in that ship to remote islands....it triggers a sense of adventure...

TT

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's looking at you Don Jose...

Ed T

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow,,,just for a break....speaking of adventurous travel, over the past decade in Europe being in different places for study related travels as well as touristic visits, I came to realize that the most intrepid and passionate backpack travelers across Europe are Australians. I am recalling my observation of the past decade before the covid crisis hit thereby crippling the traveling scene at the start of the new decade. Of course one may have seen many adventurous backpackers in Europe from Europe,North America, Latin America, China etc but no one equals the Australians. Most of the Australian backpackers are fresh graduates from college who decide to tour Europe before settling in a job, though some backpack travelers could be making a trip taking time from their job. Having been in youth hostels in several place at different times to witness first hand, and also from what I heard and read from other people, I was amazed that these backpackers from Australia tour Europe at least for three months moving from country to country and from city to city. Some in fact used to come for 6 months straight and there was one story of one young adventurous lady traveler on the news ...I heard also of one Australian guy touring Europe I think for three years straight...it appears compared to others, these travelers on an extended time in Europe could be regarded as extending the legacy of the old 'grand tour' of Europe when British elites used to tour Europe for many years before settling down. Alas Covid has now messed the travel industry and the new decade may not be the same...

But what I observed about many young backpackers (i.e. in general from everywhere) is that though they may be keen in visiting some landmarks of a city and take some pics ,however they may not be that passionate in spending time visiting every thing that needs to be seen . Instead they choose to hangout with other international friends in pubs and hostels. I believe these youngsters would have benefited more with thematic visits like photography, architecture , art, cuisine, history etc...just as the old grand tour,..

A more treasure savvy traveler in a tour of Europe could actually contact some high end interior decorators and take a list of some pieces that these high end interior decorators desperately want for their clients, and check some flea markets and antique shops of Europe while all the same touring...if one finds these wanted decorative pieces he or she could ship it from wherever they may be and make some good money as some high end interior decorators cater for eccentric clients where money is not an issue. There are several ways like this to make such tours exciting ...But I guess most are only taken with the thrill of the moment ...and admittedly some spots in Europe are quite charming as for example I recall in Florence several years ago one summer night after dinner ,,,a guitarist was playing on the streets and many including myself were sitting by the roadside nearby listening to the music while gazing at the many public statues and renaissance buildings silhouetted in the dim lighting...the guy was playing the Chet Atkins rendering of the "Vincent" tribute song,,,it was quite captivating...

TT

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hi TT, yet another perspective - the mix changes over time.
In the '50s/60s my experience with the hostels in Europe had more and more Americans, certainly never an Aussie. My family did the Grand Tour thing (every summer throughout the Depression) and for sure there was a greater interest in culture. But those differences are economic. Young people wanna have fun.

Your suggestion is good but youth generally does not have an appreciation of economics, nor the eye for detail to avoid frauds. My family for example spent millions on trash, and those were adults.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT and BillA

In the 1960's and 1970's airline travel was just too expensive for students to travel from Australia because we was at the ends of earth. So the ones that did was from a more affluent class of people. Came the 1980 and early 1990s Australia went into economic depression so it impacted travel for whole generation.

But in the last 30 years until corvid 19 Australia has seen a massive economic growth for 30 years and whole new generation. it became the must do social norm to to grand tour. Thus revving the old Grand tour of British elites. It became a right of passage for many even they never really appreciate the experience rather than said they did it. But in fairness I found the current generation of back packers from many countries rushing around no really appreciating anything but rather more interest in taking a selfie than really experience anything. Even with Nuvo Chinese tourists herded around like cattle then off the next place.

But ultimately the experience of these young people and no so young has positive effect such as creation of global tourism around the world in which has become a massive global industry creating millions of jobs. The negative side of things as air travel got cheaper so it became more accessible to the masses. The problem was some people should not be let out of thier house let alone travel aboard. Started to travel and then we so the rise of cheap package holidays that brought in all dregs of society flooding an fashionable location turning the place into brothel and then leaving the locals having to deal with the problems. The place becomes a mass tourist trap and locals cannot afford to live there.

While tourism can have positive effects it can also have negative effects.

Once a place becomes popular with tourist property values go up to point locals can no longer afford live there. And it became fashionable for wealthy to buy properties as second holiday home thus pushing out the locals. Then the developers move in to cash in and over developed the place to the point that the very reason why people came in the first place was to flee exactly what they develop. All countries I am pretty sure have experienced such things.

Crow

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
and what chaps my a** are the rich folks buying up land to keep it from being developed
where are people supposed to live?
how do they develop their own country when owned by foreigners?

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I could be wrong but for me in Regards to American tourists that in 60's and 1970's they was definitely the pace setting when it came to tourism. The change occurred in 1980s when you have the American hostage Crisis in Iran and later 9/11 where many felt the world was more hostile to Americans. But another factor was economic decline in disposable incomes for American has declined.

I think it will be many years tourism around the world before returning like it did before 2020.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
and what chaps my a** are the rich folks buying up land to keep it from being developed
where are people supposed to live?
how do they develop their own country when owned by foreigners?

Hello Bill politicians in my country on both side of the fence are so stupid they allow other countries to buy our farms ports mines anything they can sell the balance the budgect, The like a whore with its legs open as long as you got cash you can get in. They allow the Chinese build thousands of condos that locals are no allowed to but and are left empty as you cannot rent them.

You try to buy anything real estate in china. Zip Nada.....

And now the very same assh... who allowed that are saying we should not of sold off so much?

Duh....

Crow

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
those that benefit are those of the political class, or those with connections
the same in all countries, and I suspect all times
no idea what it will take to return to rational discourse

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Crow and Billa for the historical perspective... Crow you certainly analyzed the problem with over tourism on local population...it was becoming an issue in many cities across the world..
by the way in sheer number of backpackers no one beats the Chinese,,,I referred the Australians because of their unique tendencies to stay longer than the rest as the old grand tour...in numbers it is the Chinese backpackers and all tourism industries are thus consider Chinese tourists for maximum profit....backpackers usually move around in multiple EU countries using various train package schemes like EURAIL, INTERIAL etc and stay in cheaper hostels..,when we come to more affluent family based tourists you have various tourists from N.America, Europe, Australia, China Japan etc and they usually stay in one city or location in more expensive hotels with thier family and spend the holiday for 2 weeks to 1 month or so and take things slowly ...some tourist based business and restaurants target these affluent tourists...while other kinds of restaurants and establishments prefer to target the backpackers with cheaper deals...certainly now things are frozen and as Crow said it will be quite some time in this decade before things return to normal ,,,but probably some things many not return at all as some cities like Venice are considering this opportunity to tackle the issue of over tourism once and for all...

TT

Last edited:

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TT, yet another perspective - the mix changes over time.
In the '50s/60s my experience with the hostels in Europe had more and more Americans, certainly never an Aussie. My family did the Grand Tour thing (every summer throughout the Depression) and for sure there was a greater interest in culture. But those differences are economic. Young people wanna have fun.

Your suggestion is good but youth generally does not have an appreciation of economics, nor the eye for detail to avoid frauds. My family for example spent millions on trash, and those were adults.

You have a point there...It is a pity your family lost money in fakes,,,if they had cornered the works of certain artists of that era like Dali and Picasso etc it would have been a big investment and would have reaped the benefit now..
TT

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
those that benefit are those of the political class, or those with connections
the same in all countries, and I suspect all times
no idea what it will take to return to rational discourse

I think it is the nature of the beast amigo it comes in cycles.

I asked Kanacki a few years ago about his island having tourists . He said they get but only a few intrepid ones that has earned it. They virtually have zero tourism and pristine island to themselves. Some times some places best remain a secret.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello TT if anything my family back in those days of Dali and Picasso etc... was too broke with their ass out of their pants to afford food let alone to make any sort of investment.:laughing7:

Crow

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
TT
every trip they bought 2 or 3 paintings from a starving expat relative who was a painter in France
he had married my grandmother's cousin in SF and later got out of the US
he was black and became a classical painter, Holy Land scenes, etc
Henry Ozawa Tanner, my mother liquidated them

does no good to have a past if it cannot be remembered

tintin_treasure

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crow times change and now you are in a better position for your kid pirate :thumbsup:

Billa,,I know that painter's name that is really amazing ....yeah many such stories,,,but it is really amazing that your parents witnessed that era first hand..1920s and 30s paris was a world by itself...

TT

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread