Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Now another yarn amigos

In western Australia an old work mate of mine nick named stinky Joe because had the stinkiest smelliest of feet and real bad cases of Tina all in between the toes etc...Poor guy he was trying everything that doctor prescribed him all creams ointments powders etc.... One of the other crew was aboriginal who always had cheeky grin. one day fed up of smell in the lunchroom. You smell real bad you need see my auntie moi moi. "She dem fix dem feet up brow"

So out of desperation we piled into work ute and drove out to an bush encampment where his auntie moi moi was. We found her skinning a dead wild feral cat to eat. I ask her how she catch cats the old lady laughed and said it was easy cats are fast they have no stamina and get exhausted really fast. So the old women just keep following cats until they get exhausted and snap their neck. No where to hide in the desert scrub. Eating cat meat is better than eating dog as the meat is more sweet, more tender than a dog.

Anyway for the princely sum of a carton of cigarettes, she got to work on stinky Joes feet. She wandered off gather various plants chewed them up in her mouth and spat out a while vegetable sludge. Grabbing the paper bark of a stunted native desert trees she wrapped old stinky Joes feet in this chewed up spat out paste of native plants and bark booties tied up with strands of spear grass. told him to keep to keep his mushy paper bark booties on for 3 days and 3 nights and problem will be fixed.

Of course the rest of was sure he had been hustled but sure enough after 3 days and three nights all was left amazed his feet I saw them before they was horrendous and saw them after 3 days it was amazing whatever bacteria was in the skin had dried up and feet looked never had any infection. So well I would never believed it if I had not seen it myself.

So some times medical science does not always have all the answers.

Crow

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Crow, never hung out much in bars as I can't stand drunks but bars are also social clubs
some clubs are selective and eject undesirables, the more interesting tolerate a mixture of types

had a friend who discovered a small bar out in the Avenues (in SF) that was populated with bikers and their molls, after several uneventful visits Carl strikes up a conversation with a female and in one minute 2 guys walk over, and without a single word carried him to a corner and beat him to the ground, then threw him out the door

don't get in the water if you can't swim

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Crow, never hung out much in bars as I can't stand drunks but bars are also social clubs
some clubs are selective and eject undesirables, the more interesting tolerate a mixture of types

had a friend who discovered a small bar out in the Avenues (in SF) that was populated with bikers and their molls, after several uneventful visits Carl strikes up a conversation with a female and in one minute 2 guys walk over, and without a single word carried him to a corner and beat him to the ground, then threw him out the door

don't get in the water if you can't swim

Sadly it is true there are happy drunks and mean drunks. In this world I had to deal with saints and sinners and everything in between. Older and a little wiser I know when to hold and when to fold.

Years of experience getting the **** kicked out of me.:laughing7:

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly it is true there are happy drunks and mean drunks. In this world I had to deal with saints and sinners and everything in between. Older and a little wiser I know when to hold and when to fold.

Years of experience getting the **** kicked out of me.:laughing7:

Crow

Hola my raggedy old friend. I think you are learning modesty in your old age amigo. I recalled some times you would go toe to toe and even come out on top although always battered but not beaten.

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola my raggedy old friend. I think you are learning modesty in your old age amigo. I recalled some times you would go toe to toe and even come out on top although always battered but not beaten.

Kanacki

Yeah cannot recall how many brain cells was smacked out of me. But the receiving felt more than the given.:laughing7:

Anyway I am pleased to say I am too old and long over that crap now.

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Crow remember that brawl in the Madang social club? You save my ass when that low life thug king hit me from behind.

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola Crow remember that brawl in the Madang social club? You save my ass when that low life thug king hit me from behind.

Kanacki

Yeah I remember getting you out of the s*** you did not hit him hard enough when you Liverpool kissed him earlier. He was sly ***** First thing I saw was that chair got him real good then some one broke a full long neck bottle beer in my face breaking my nose. Hell ya think they would drank the beer first.:laughing7:

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
BillA

It was lives back then as drillers constantly working in some roughest places on earth. We was seen as the most useful expendable dregs of humanity for mining companies back then as the Drilling skills was somewhat lacking back in those countries in question. That Era ran its course to the end of the 20th century.

Crow

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Its late where I and Kanacki it must be pretty close to morning and you must be ready to go fishing. So amigo talk you soon. "The general" has noticed us loitering so he has given us a few jobs to amigo.

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its late where I and Kanacki it must be pretty close to morning and you must be ready to go fishing. So amigo talk you soon. "The general" has noticed us loitering so he has given us a few jobs to amigo.

Crow

Hardluck probably wants us to make like ghosts again?

Better sneak off fishing for a few days so he cannot find me?

Good night amigo?

Kanacki

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful day amigos clear blue skies no wind and warm. Ideal day for lounging in a hammock relaxing with the family. Island time amigos. Getting close to siesta time. That is one thing ya learn in the tropics is down time.

When ya being contacted at all hours 24/7 ya make most of down time. I call it a power nap.:laughing7: What load of crap they say when ya retire you have all this time of your hands?:dontknow:

I think I am more busy now than when I worked.

Such is life.

Crow

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful day amigos clear blue skies no wind and warm. Ideal day for lounging in a hammock relaxing with the family. Island time amigos. Getting close to siesta time. That is one thing ya learn in the tropics is down time.

When ya being contacted at all hours 24/7 ya make most of down time. I call it a power nap.:laughing7: What load of crap they say when ya retire you have all this time of your hands?:dontknow:

I think I am more busy now than when I worked.

Such is life.

Crow

Enjoy your time out amigo. The fishing has been excellent today. I have been fishing with my two oldest sons. I have to figure out what for them to do? In effect their tourist related business is dead for at least the next 12 months to 2 years.

But my problems are nothing compared to the cruise industry that is all but wiped out a 150 billion dollars industry in tatters. many cruise ships are being scrapped or abandoned many are for sale but there are no buyers.

thumbnail-391f733404cd11ebb2e80e1b11e7c73f-scaled-e1601657984795.jpeg

Or airline industry with many international borders closed....has lost in 2020 alone 84 billion.

airliners parked.JPG

So regardless if we are not directly impacted by Covid in directly we are.

Kanacki

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
Hola Kanacki
I suspect your tourism appraisal is optimistic. With the reduction in volume, airfare I think will increase in cost. With the increase in risk, I think older people will travel less. Young people may elect to vacation in country, or at least some place where the virus is traced and quarantined.

One cannot postulate a reduction in aircraft without a corresponding reduction in hotels, or the myriad of smaller facilitators that enable tourist hotels to function. What is to replace the growth engine that was tourism? I live in a rural town at the end of the road, a gateway for visitors to Corcovado Park. Nothing now, and given the location no options.

edit: not personally affected, but everyone I know is

Last edited:

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hola Kanacki
I suspect your tourism appraisal is optimistic. With the reduction in volume, airfare I think will increase in cost. With the increase in risk, I think older people will travel less. Young people may elect to vacation in country, or at least some place where the virus is traced and quarantined.

One cannot postulate a reduction in aircraft without a corresponding reduction in hotels, or the myriad of smaller facilitators that enable tourist hotels to function. What is to replace the growth engine that was tourism? I live in a rural town at the end of the road, a gateway for visitors to Corcovado Park. Nothing now, and given the location no options.

edit: not personally affected, but everyone I know is

Gidday Kanacki

I agree with Bill in regards to time. I suspect it will take a decade of recovery to get anywhere to the near the level it was perhaps even longer. From mine and Hardlucks perspective with our bar although leased out it has been trading much lower since the 2008 GFC although still ticking over giving a small profit we are banking in a upswing of local interstate tourism. However the backpacker scene is almost dead and has been for some time. International tourists is virtually dead. Even if restrictions are lifted tomorrow's the world economy is not generating much disposable income for people.

Crow

Last edited:

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
...... Even if restrictions are lifted tomorrow's the world economy is not generating much disposable income for people.

Crow
and I think disposable income is the crux of the problem, and it is a local issue
I don't have the investment management activities of you fellows but I try to support my friends
a friend had just opened a small Tico restaurant when the sky fell, now the only one open and I loaned him money to expand the kitchen and seating area
another friend is opening a gold mine, I just give him money as I can

commerce will continue, but when the dust settles will be very different

edit: watching MotoGP, only reason posting at this hour

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am hopeful for best case scenario. It that is not the case I have a time frame where I can haul both vessels up the slipway and place both vessels. Keep them out the water help preserve the vessels from corrosion. Vessels amigos are constantly hemorrhaging money. Keeping them in care and maintenance for a given time until the economic situation becomes more clearer. On my island I virtually have a boatyard at sole disposal so I can keep both vessels up on the slips. However that is not permanent solution.

Kanacki

BillA

Bronze Member
May 12, 2005
Drake, Costa Rica
I take it that inter-island trading cannot be made profitable?

edit: 50 years ago a boat would visit to buy pigs and cattle, drop some stuff, and return in a month

Last edited:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and I think disposable income is the crux of the problem, and it is a local issue
I don't have the investment management activities of you fellows but I try to support my friends
a friend had just opened a small Tico restaurant when the sky fell, now the only one open and I loaned him money to expand the kitchen and seating area
another friend is opening a gold mine, I just give him money as I can

commerce will continue, but when the dust settles will be very different

edit: watching MotoGP, only reason posting at this hour

Hola Bill in part as there is regional economic factors in play contributing to covid pandemic. The island I live on thankfully have not got a tourist industry nor any covid 19 infections. Because of our limited medical resources we have relied on border closure. With a population of 6000 our limited economic out put has remained virtually unchanged. But in effect for now we are totally isolated from the rest of the world.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take it that inter-island trading cannot be made profitable?

edit: 50 years ago a boat would visit to buy pigs and cattle, drop some stuff, and return in a month

Hola Bill most people on remote atolls are living a subsistence type living. Some have no electrify no refrigeration and the old product they can sell is copra. But copra prices have been an all times low. While KWAI does okay it benefit of sail it cuts down on fuel cost of a conventional vessel. Even so given the age of the vessel nearing 70 years old its getting close to its use by date.

There is another vessel on the Cook Islands that is constantly held by port authorities there by not paying mooring fees and in constant debt. It has been rusting away in Raratonga for several years now. What makes it hard each territory has various conflicting license requirement the vessel has to have that complicate things.

The profit margin is very slim in some islands. 50 years ago the economics was much different then. Most of inter island trading vessels are engine powered. There are freighters and there are freighters. But the fleet of ships that sail among the island groups in the South Pacific and Micronesia—copra boats, island traders, government field service ships, mission boats, and inter-island ferries—are rarely mentioned and are largely unknown to travel agents. They lie ready and willing to transport passengers into the “back of beyond.” So if in your round-the-world travels you want to go where tourists never tread, try hitching a ride on a local cargo ship. It’s easier than you might think

Kanacki

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread