Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp said:
good one poor guy, you were very lucky. but I noticed that we weren't invited to a fish fry??? Shall I insert that pin guys?

Hmmm you mentioned -->Still today can't figure out how that boat got untied. lousy landlubber, snicker, frankly you were durn lucky my friend.

You never mentioned what you were using for bait?

what was the biggest one?

Don Jose de La Macnha the eternally hungry one.
So sorry my Friend, Please no pokes I'm beggin :notworthy: He He

We use for bait: Bluegill or Sunfish, and Creek Chubs as our livebait arsenal. They kinda resemble a baby largemouth. With a trout size hook, and a piece of worm, I can fill the bait bucket all too quickly. Then usually Groundhog liver. ( whistle pig, woodchuck ).

You are welcome anytime myfriend to join me at the poorhunter shack for a fishfry. If you ever want jus let me know for directions? If I were to show you a picture of fresh fried? That would only Anger your Appetite!

One of the biggest flatheads we had that nite was caught by My dad he got this citation for it.

Attachments

• new camera 002.JPG
    new camera 002.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 474

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HELLO,MY OLD FRIENDS.

I SAID THAT I WOULD POST MORE FROM MY BOOK, AND I HAVE GOTTEN SO BUSY ON MY OWN THREAD THAT I LOST TRACK OF TIME. I HAVE TAKEN TIME TO READ AND CATCH UP ON THIS ONE. THERE HAVE BEEN MANY GREAT TALES TOLD HERE SINCE I WAS HERE LAST. THEY ARE FUN TO READ AND HAVE GIVEN ME THE CAUSE TO SLOW DOWN ON THE RESEARCH FOR A WHILE.
THIS PART OF THE BOOK PREDATES THE OTHER BY SEVERAL MONTHS, IT STARTS OUT ON THE LAST DAY THAT JIM AND I WOULD WORK FROM THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN. WE WOULD CONTINUE BY WORKING OUR WAY UP, FROM THE BOTTOM.

DON JOSE, I AM SENDING YOU A P.M. THAT EXPLAINS A LITTLE MORE THAT I KNOW THAT YOU
WILL UNDERSTAND THAT MAKES THIS STORY MUCH BETTER,, UNFORTUNATLY I CANNOT PULISH THAT PART, AND I REALLY WISH THAT I COULD!

Jim had made contact with the man that owned most of the property going down the rest of the mountain and had drawn up an agreement for all of us to sign, and when needed, we could meet with him and make plans for exploring the mountainside below the bluff. This was going to work well with Dave because he had accepted an offer on his property from a man that lived out of state. He had told the buyer what we were doing and the buyer granted us permission, by proxy, to continue with our studies. The new buyer had nothing to lose and might gain a share of a silver mine. He was buying it as an investment for his family, as he was in poor health.

The timing of all of this worked out well for Jim and I, and we were satisfied with our documentation for this area. That last day of field work ended on a sour note. As we were driving out from Dave’s place for the last time, we were stopped by a half dozen armed men, good ole boys, with their trucks blocking the county road and their weapons laid out as if they just happened to be hunting from that spot. The man that was closest to us walked out to make sure that we didn’t use the ditch. Jim moved his pistol into easy reach, but still out of sight, and stopped the truck so that the lone stranger had to walk up next to him to talk.

Jim told me to stay calm, and again my first thought was “You want me to do what?!” I was able to sit still and keep my mouth shut, but staying calm flew out the window long before the truck stopped moving. I was the only guy there that didn’t have a gun! I felt like a twelve point buck standing on that guys back porch in the middle of January. I was playing scenes in my head of a little kid, tucked in the saddle behind John Wayne as he rode his horse across the screen shooting all the bad guys, while all I could do was hold on for dear life.
Staying calm was not an option. Staying still and quiet was all I could do.
While we waited for the stranger to make his way to the door, Jim kept the truck in gear, ready to move at the first sign of trouble. The stranger leaned against the truck and asked what we were doing up there on his mountain. Jim calmly replied that we were on a county road and we were on the property that was at the top of the mountain, at the end of the county road, and with permission. To which the stranger said we were a long way from town and that the neighbors had to watch out for each other, and that they felt that they needed to make sure that we weren’t stealing anything from the neighbors.

Jim told him something about old Indian trails and rock carvings. This seemed to satisfy him and he returned to his truck and Jim drove through the middle of them, slowly, memorizing their faces. At some point after all of them were in the rearview mirror I inhaled. I knew right then that this was not going to happen again like this. By sundown the following Wednesday I was once again, exercising my second amendment rights. I had needed to get a pistol since the bear sign spotting and now it was done.

Jim and I were done with driving the long dirt road around the mountain to get to that bluff, but not for the previous statements. The mine was not to be found above the bluff. The information from there was still valid and accurate, but the work was now waiting down below the bluff, and best accessed from the valley below. We still didn’t know how far or near it would be. We only knew that we were going to start form the valley below and I had already extended the line on the map a few hundred miles to the north.

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gracias mi amigo poor guy, may take you up on the fish fry if they ever get my 747 out of overhaul, err mule.. sigh.

That photograph certainly shows some beautiful country, complete with fishing.

Don Jose de La Mnacha

p.s. More

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
If we can't be traipsing the western mountains and deserts ; Poorhunter and I feel that we got the consolation prize by living where we do .

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
For the past couple of weeks, I've been spending about six hours a day in my research. I'm getting tired of reading so I thought I might spend a little time writing.
Back in 1968, I was setting up ambushes with a team of paratroopers in the coastal highlands of South Vietnam not far from An Khe. We had a team of two squads with ten guys in a squad. We hadn't made any contact for a couple days but we were trying to flush a unit of Chinese Commies who had been working with some NVA troops in our AO. As we walked through the jungle about the middle of the afternoon, our CO got the feeling that we were being followed. He had a gift about figuring out what the NVA were going to do next. He decided to drop off the lead squad so they could set up an ambush along the trail we were following. I was in the second squad, and as the first squad moved off the trail, we moved past them about 75 yards and set up a perimeter. We weren't even set up, when the crap hit the fan. The NVA must have been getting ready to close on us because they walked into our ambush right away. Our guys killed three NVA right off and saw a couple more being drug away. They didn't pursue because they could have walked into a bigger pile of poop than what the NVA did. None of our guys were hit. Our ambush team linked up with the rest of us and we moved another hundred yards or so and set up a defensive perimeter. Our CO sent me and two other guys to set up an outpost about halfway between the ambush site and our defensive perimeter. For those of you who don't know, an outpost is kind off like a speed bump. It is too small to stop anything big, but the men in the outpost can warn the main perimeter that something bad is heading their way. Things were kind of quiet until the middle of the night, naturally.LOL. We had movement heading our way and they weren't being real quiet. We had a way to communicate with our perimeter to where we didn't have to talk and give away our position. I think it had something to do with the smell coming from the direction of the outpost. LOL. Anyway, we were told to lay down as flat to the ground as we could get. Within a few seconds we had artillery landing all around us. The good thing about that was, it was our artillery. The bad thing was, ours could kill us just as dead as theirs. So we stayed low. After a few minutes of shelling, the fire mission stopped and the rest of the night was quiet. The next morning, me and the other two guys broke up the outpost and joined the rest of the team at the defensive perimeter. That's when we heard, " The Rest of the Story." Seems like after the artillery barrage had been going on for a few seconds, one of the trip flares outside the defensive perimeter was tripped. By the light of the flare, the boys of Company C could see the biggest damn tiger that any of them had ever seen, caged or not. There was enough firepower inside that perimeter to wipe out a company of NVA but not a shot was fired. Everybody was afraid that if they took a crack at the cat, they might not kill it and then there would be hell to pay. So what they did was..... nothing. Evidently, the tiger was spooked by the explosions from the artillery, so all he wanted to do was get the hell out of there. That tiger walked through the perimeter on one side, walked right past everybody inside the perimeter, and then exited on the other side. And he didn't even stop to eat anybody. LOL. I saw some of the prints from the tiger and they were huge. I have a big head and my helmet just barely covered one of the paw prints. Some of the guys had a saying that they got from the Bible that they used to say when they were feeling a little macho. " Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, because I'm the meanest S.O.B. in the valley." Well, the meanest S.O.B. in the valley that night wasn't even human. And I still haven't been able to figure out how the NVA talked that tiger into walking point. LOL. Rick

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I BET YOU GUYS THOUGHT OUTPOST WAS THE WORST PLACE TO BE...
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:hello2: :headbang:
PROSPECTORMIKEL

P.S. THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!! JOB WELL DONE! :coffee2: :coffee2:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Thanks for sharing that . Thanks for your service . Pucker factor had to be max with a pussy that could eat you strolling through the outpost . :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI mdog: fantastic story my friend.. Err you did know that doggies are considered a delicacy by tigers no? snicker.

An excellent thing that we aren't on a one up story basis, or this forum would end right now.

Don Jose de La Mancha

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mdog Thanks for sharing. I have an alligator story and and big cotton mouth story but whats the use ,can't compete with that huge maneater you guys ran into .
Hey thanks for your service and welcome back you guys are heroes! :icon_thumright: :notworthy:

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on, birdman,

Tell the story - like Jose said - we are not doing the "one-upmanship" thing here - we are just enjoying the trials and tribulations of life!!

Tell, tell, tell.

Beth

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COME ON BIRDMAN!!
EVERYBODY WALKS A DIFFERENT TRAIL. THE ONLY BAD STORY IS THE ONE UNTOLD.

THIS IS THE MOST INTERESTING THREAD ON TNET.

LOTS OF STORIES FROM ALL OVER.
SO PULL UP A LOG AND POUR YA CUP AND START CHATTIN' :coffee2: :coffee2:
:hello2:
MIKEL
:coffee2:

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
PROSPECTORMIKEL said:
COME ON BIRDMAN!!
EVERYBODY WALKS A DIFFERENT TRAIL. THE ONLY BAD STORY IS THE ONE UNTOLD.

THIS IS THE MOST INTERESTING THREAD ON TNET.

LOTS OF STORIES FROM ALL OVER.
SO PULL UP A LOG AND POUR YA CUP AND START CHATTIN' :coffee2: :coffee2:
:hello2:
MIKEL
:coffee2:
What he said x 2 .

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Birdman, I want to hear the snake story. Snakes scare the hell out of me. If I lived in an area where there were big poisonous snakes, I wouldn't leave the house. Fire away. Rick

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HEY, YOU'RE NOT BIRDMAN!...
I WAS CONGRATULATING BIRDMAN FOR YOUR STORY. STILL A GOOD STORY. I WOULD WANT TO TAKE A HEAD OFF FOR THAT, TOO. I HAD A FACE TO FACE WITH A KINGSNAKE WHEN I WAS A KID... I COULD FLY FOR A FEW SECONDS!!!
PM
:dontknow:

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
During the Cold War, the United States ordered guys to enter the sovereign territory of another country (undetected) for the purpose of obtaining some "stuff". That country would probably say it was an illegal entry. Oh well, they never would have agreed to allow us entry the normal way.

So we set about to obtain some stuff. As we were finishing-up our business, we learned that a Soyuz-T spacecraft would be coming to town for a few days as a part of a show-of-might to the "workers" exhibit!

Late that evening, we probably found ourselves inside the spacecraft. Go figure. After allegedly taking a lot of photos, an item may have "stuck" to my hand. After exiting the spacecraft, we were spotted leaving the hangar area.

Guys who didn't speak English began to chase after us. (Probably waving guns, thankfully not shooting them.) We were able to avoid having some unpleasant interactions with those guys, and found shelter in an unexpected location. We finally made it back and turned-in the stuff, as well as the pictures and "item".

The "item" may have resembled a large gold medal. Heavy too. I have wondered as to the whereabouts of that "item" over the years...

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arizona Bob, People forget that the cold war was a war .Shots were fired just most of the time it was top secret . Glad you made it back to the friendly side in one piece :notworthy:.

Snake story #1
Most of my stories come from my childhood because I was playing in the swamps or hunting for chests of Spanish silver laying on top of the ground. I still do some of that but nothing like being a kid with no worries.
I was about 10 years old and my buddy and me decided to make a raft. Every day after school we would meet up and chop down small pine trees. All we had was one little dull hatchet but it did cut some what. We had big plans to have a Tom Sawyer type raft and sale around Mobile Bay and have all the other kids marvel at our engineering.
Well one day I was chopping away and my friend started jumping around like a crazy court jester. He did not make a sound but jumped several times and started running. I looked down and sliding across my big toe was the fatest cotton mouth that I had ever seen. To this day I think the man up stairs for us not getting bit. Moccasins are pretty aggressive and this dude just went through our little logging camp,across my foot and on his way.
After that we stopped production of our raft .We did tie the trees together that we had cut down to see if we had enough for our world tour but as we both got on it, it sank.
I see kids today that will not get out of the house because of TV and the computer and thank of all the fun they miss as a child.The places we used to play, camp and have adventures at are all beach houses now...
Those were good times. :coffee2:

mdog

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2011
Close call Birdman. I've never seen a water moccasin or a rattlesnake. I don't think we even have any around here. Some of my friends from down south have told me that the moccasins hang in the trees along the water and drop into your fishing boats. They also said some people have shot holes in their boats trying to kill them. I always thought they were teasing me, maybe not.
I know what you mean about kids and their computers. I practically have to bribe my grandkids to go out treasure hunting with me. Times change.

Rick

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEP, BIRDMAN THAT WAS A LITTLE CLOSE FOR COMFORT. I BELIEVE THAT THE GOOD LORD WATCHES OUT FOR CHILDREN AND FOOLS. I DON'T KNOW WHICH CATIGORY I FELL INTO WHEN I WAS GROWIN' UP, BUT MY OLDER BROTHER AND I FOUND OUR OWN FUN EVERYDAY. WE DIDN'T HAVE THE GAMES THAT KIDS WASTE THEIR LIVES ON NOW DAYS. I WOULDN'T TRADE THOSE MEMORIES FOR ANY THING ELSE.

THAT WAS A GOOD STORY, GLAD YOU SHARED IT. DON'T FORGET TO TELL THE GATOR STORY TOO.

ARIZONA BOB, THAT TOO WAS A GOOD STORY. TOO BAD YOU HAVE TO EDIT THE PLACES AND DETAILS, BUT THAT WOULD PROBABLY STIR UP A HEAP OF TROUBLE SOME WHERE IF YOU DID. GLAD YOU MADE IT BACK, AND MOST OF ALL
......................THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO AMERICA AND FREEDOM!.............

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:
PROSPECTORMIKEL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread