Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, she is a beautiful vessel..
When I was a young man, I wanted to go out to sea and live the pirate's life.

Now that I know that I swim like my pockets are full of gold, I think it's the life of a land lober for me.

#/;0):-

Taken from inspiration from our lovable amigo in Mexico, Age is only a number and some times we obsess too much about that number rather than live every minute.

Mikel my friend you may be very surprised sailing around the pacific is like riding a magic flying carpet. Every island has a story with an adventure waiting. It is if those invisible shackles of life, fall off and you experience a freedom seldom felt. Your live and become beholden to no man but the communion with sea and sky among all the colors of the rainbow my friend.. It turns old men into young men again the fresh air the wind, sea and sky. Just ask Crow he was becoming too content of being the old drunk at the bar at time of life he should be a granddad, became a dad for the first time after half a century. His wife is half his age. I never seen of old bird so much alive and on top of his game.

Such is the song of Pacific my friend it inspires you to step up beyond your wildest expectations. And I can guarantee you that You will never feel so much alive, as your life feels like your fallen into a dream.

kanacki

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I agree with all of that, but I have been pulled from a watery grave twice now. Third time might just get me.

I think I'll work on finishing my book.

#/;0/:-

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose Amigo

The was an account of man who was a castaway prisoner of native tribe on the island near the Solomon's around the 1850's. He tells of relics in the possession of natives. And found the grave of the one first Spanish colonists in San Cruz. As well as information relating to one of the lost ships of Álvaro de Mendaña de Neira, the the Santa Ysabel in 1596.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I agree with all of that, but I have been pulled from a watery grave twice now. Third time might just get me.

I think I'll work on finishing my book.

#/;0/:-

Then I expect nothing less in you finishing book. I look forward to reading it.

Kanacki

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kanaki for the timely piece!..Pass my greetings to Crow.
I am following the Nazi gold train saga from the beginning...I am rather interetsed how it plays out with the 10 pct finders claim,etc,,it is a good occasion to observe human behavior and the intricacies of treasure hunting dispute, politics and potential double crosses ,,,we could learn something there for the future.

TT

Hola TT

Your are 100% correct my friend many lessons can be learn from that case. Especially what not to do. The trouble is it creates negative image for anyone generally trying to develop a project. This as negative ramifications for all of us.

Kanacki

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to drag two families of land owners through the last chapters. Or just make up a fantastic tale and move on...

One more week of waiting to get them in the same room to negotiate the final contract.
May
Take a month...

#/;0(:-

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki has spoken the truth of the Orient and the Pacific islands, once experienced, not as a tour guest , you are hooked for life.

Incidentally there is a distinct difference between the volcanic based islands and the atolls. The volcanic islands represented by the Solomons, Rabual, etc, is a relatively somber mood, the atolls a light hearted mood.

In identally, the last atoll that I saw was the Bikini Atoll and they ruined it in the A-bomb tests, although I have heard through the grape vine that the Natives are petitioning to return. It is supposedly safe now.

It was an awesome sight, not easily forgotten.

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose nothing spreads faster than the coconut radio.

I am contemplating a cruise through the Marshall islands then onto the Mariana islands.

Got a few young restless men with attitude problems on the island that need a change of direction in their lives. When they sail on the "Drumbeart" They go out as boys and come back as men.

They get into routine and learn to work together in teams and most of all learn how to social interact with people within the confines of a ship that becomes their universe. I will take 9 inexperienced on and 8 experienced crew. 3 rotating watches of 4 hours each with 3 experienced crew per watch. They will get to see some of North Pacific's hidden places. Relics of WW2 old guano mining camps. Desert islands, Guam forgotten atolls and the odd uninhabited atoll. Most of all it opens up to a world beyond their imagination.

And for me it is way to perhaps visit another treasure island however that is another story.

The atolls do indeed have their own secrets.

Kanacki

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Valley Center, CA/Yuma, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Don Jose nothing spreads faster than the coconut radio.

I am contemplating a cruise through the Marshall islands then onto the Mariana islands.

Got a few young restless men with attitude problems on the island that need a change of direction in their lives. When they sail on the "Drumbeart" They go out as boys and come back as men.

They get into routine and learn to work together in teams and most of all learn how to social interact with people within the confines of a ship that becomes their universe. I will take 9 inexperienced on and 8 experienced crew. 3 rotating watches of 4 hours each with 3 experienced crew per watch. They will get to see some of North Pacific's hidden places. Relics of WW2 old guano mining camps. Desert islands, Guam forgotten atolls and the odd uninhabited atoll. Most of all it opens up to a world beyond their imagination.

And for me it is way to perhaps visit another treasure island however that is another story.

The atolls do indeed have their own secrets.

Kanacki

Hola, Kanacki, Sounds like a great trip and a tremendous learning experience for your crew. At the expense of being called old fashioned by our amigo, the Tropical Tramp, I wish you fair winds and following seas. Hopefully you won’t run into any typhoons on that side of the equator. There is a tropical depression forming way off to your east, but it probably won’t affect your area.

JB

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki, she is a beautiful vessel..
When I was a young man, I wanted to go out to sea and live the pirate's life.

Now that I know that I swim like my pockets are full of gold, I think it's the life of a land lober for me.

Once you are out of sight of land, it doesn't really matter how well you can swim. You can't touch bottom, and you can't swim far enough to make a difference. The Pacific is a wonderful place, full of mystery and beauty, and I love it dearly. however, like all dangerous environments, you have to treat it with respect, or you will not survive. I am sure that is part of the reason that Kanacki is adding bulkheads to Ocean Child. Respect the ocean, for it is very powerful.

JB

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kanacki has spoken the truth of the Orient and the Pacific islands, once experienced, not as a tour guest , you are hooked for life.

Incidentally there is a distinct difference between the volcanic based islands and the atolls. The volcanic islands represented by the Solomons, Rabual, etc, is a relatively somber mood, the atolls a light hearted mood.

In identally, the last atoll that I saw was the Bikini Atoll and they ruined it in the A-bomb tests, although I have heard through the grape vine that the Natives are petitioning to return. It is supposedly safe now.

It was an awesome sight, not easily forgotten.

Kanacki and Don Jose both speak the truth. Once you have spent some time on the Pacific and in the islands you will never forget them. There are 2 environments on earth that I truly love, the ocean (the Pacific in particular), and the desert. Both are dangerous, and both will kill you if you are not careful. But they are worth the risk.

:coffee2::coffee2:

JB

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola, Kanacki, Sounds like a great trip and a tremendous learning experience for your crew. At the expense of being called old fashioned by our amigo, the Tropical Tramp, I wish you fair winds and following seas. Hopefully you won’t run into any typhoons on that side of the equator. There is a tropical depression forming way off to your east, but it probably won’t affect your area.

JB

Hola Shortfinger one thing you become when you sail the oceans is always being mindful of the weather patterns. The first thing when I awake I check the weather, wind waves and birds Polynesian style. The southern hemisphere is going into typhoon season. I am in the north pacific and around my island many typhoons form as my island is just outside northern hemisphere convergence zone. My island gets a lot of rain storms as such but very few typhoons. Strange enough the biggest typhoon in recorded history was formed 10km off the coast of my island and eventually as it traveled away from us became a typhoon destroyed the southern part of the Philippines.

kosrae02.JPG

Kanacki

Shortfinger

Apr 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola Shortfinger one thing you become when you sail the oceans is always being mindful of the weather patterns. The first thing when I awake I check the weather, wind waves and birds Polynesian style. The southern hemisphere is going into typhoon season. I am in the north pacific and around my island many typhoons form as my island is just outside northern hemisphere convergence zone. My island gets a lot of rain storms as such but very few typhoons. Strange enough the biggest typhoon in recorded history was formed 10km off the coast of my island and eventually as it traveled away from us became a typhoon destroyed the southern part of the Philippines.

View attachment 1220994

Kanacki
Without knowing exactly where you are, i suspect you are very near he equator. The north Pacific (eastern, central, and western sections) have been very active with tropical cyclones with all their varying names this year, and it doesn't look like we are all done yet, at least in the eastern and central areas. The particular potential area for development (now classified as TD eighteen-E, so it has developed) I was talking about is about 1600 miles ESE of Hawaii right now, and it would be very unusual for a storm to travel as far west as you are. but, there have been a couple of recorded cases of that happening, including one this year. Kilo started about 700 miles southeast of Hawaii on August 20, and finally dissipated just off the coast of Hokkaido on September 10. Fortunately, it tracked mostly over open ocean, and well north of your area of operations. At times, it was category 4, which is pretty darn powerful. However, with all that being said, I know that you wouldn't be where you are, and doing what you are doing without having extensive weather knowledge. It looks like the latest TD will actually curve to the north and east of Hawaii, so that one definitely won’t be making it to your area. I had a couple of experiences with typhoons while I was in the Navy, and wouldn’t relish being in one on a small boat.

JB

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without knowing exactly where you are, i suspect you are very near he equator. The north Pacific (eastern, central, and western sections) have been very active with tropical cyclones with all their varying names this year, and it doesn't look like we are all done yet, at least in the eastern and central areas. The particular potential area for development (now classified as TD eighteen-E, so it has developed) I was talking about is about 1600 miles ESE of Hawaii right now, and it would be very unusual for a storm to travel as far west as you are. but, there have been a couple of recorded cases of that happening, including one this year. Kilo started about 700 miles southeast of Hawaii on August 20, and finally dissipated just off the coast of Hokkaido on September 10. Fortunately, it tracked mostly over open ocean, and well north of your area of operations. At times, it was category 4, which is pretty darn powerful. However, with all that being said, I know that you wouldn't be where you are, and doing what you are doing without having extensive weather knowledge. It looks like the latest TD will actually curve to the north and east of Hawaii, so that one definitely won’t be making it to your area. I had a couple of experiences with typhoons while I was in the Navy, and wouldn’t relish being in one on a small boat.

JB

Hola Short finger you know your weather well. My island is in between northern and southern convergence zones. I have been keeping any eye of that as well one that looks like its forming north east of Marinas. A few months ago I sailed in between to Cyclones in one which destroyed Vanuatu they spin the opposite direct to Northern Hemisphere typhoons. I am hoping to visiting Canton island there is only about 24 people living there. 10 of them are kids. My wife is getting gifts to give for the visit. I have been told they have not had outside news for 2 and a half years.

Kanacki

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent work short finger.

Awesome photo Kanacki.
I have dreamt of being at sea and watching the moon slip into the ocean and watching the stars take over the sky.
Perhaps I will see them as I pass into the afterlife with my Lord.
No fear of drowning!

Last edited:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Once you are out of sight of land, it doesn't really matter how well you can swim. You can't touch bottom, and you can't swim far enough to make a difference. The Pacific is a wonderful place, full of mystery and beauty, and I love it dearly. however, like all dangerous environments, you have to treat it with respect, or you will not survive. I am sure that is part of the reason that Kanacki is adding bulkheads to Ocean Child. Respect the ocean, for it is very powerful.

JB

Have to agree with this 100%. It takes a special breed to live on the open sea, and for me, if the boat got out of sight of land - forget it! I do love the sea and love boats, but can only swim just SO far. You and the Unholy Trio have my respect amigo, however I don't think I could handle going to sea the way you do.

Please do continue, apologies for the opinionating. :occasion14:

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

KANACKI

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to agree with this 100%. It takes a special breed to live on the open sea, and for me, if the boat got out of sight of land - forget it! I do love the sea and love boats, but can only swim just SO far. You and the Unholy Trio have my respect amigo, however I don't think I could handle going to sea the way you do.

Please do continue, apologies for the opinionating. :occasion14:

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Hola Oro amigo no apologies needed. I will continue the yarn about this mysterious fate of the Santa Ysabel (the Almiranta )

A much larger and costlier expedition had been planned by the early 1590s, after Mendaña had spent years courting favour in Madrid and Lima. he had Four ships and 378 men, women and children were to establish a colony in the Solomon Islands. However fate can be a fickle thing because the leaders of this voyage had “widely divergent personalities. Mendaña was again in command, accompanied by his wife Doña Isabel Barreto, her three brothers and a sister. Chief pilot was to be a young Portuguese navigator in Spanish service, Pedro Fernandes de Queirós. The main protagonist was an argumentative old soldier, Pedro Merino Manrique was chosen as camp master. Manrique caused problems before the fleet had even departed. Sadly it was a sign of things to come.

The four ships, San Gerónimo (the Capitana), the Santa Ysabel (the Almiranta), the smaller frigate Santa Catalina and the galiot San Felipe left Callao on 9 April 1595. Spirits were high in the first month, fifteen marriages being celebrated. Mendaña had Queirós prepare charts for his Captains that only showed Peru and the Solomon Islands. Such was the confidence of their project.

On 21 July 1595 the ships reached the Marquesas Islands, (named for the wife of the then viceroy of Peru, García Hurtado de Mendoza, 5th Marquis of Cañete) to be met by four hundred people in canoes. Although the Spaniards admired their “graceful shape” and “almost white” complexion, the relationship with the natives later deteriorated into bloodshed. When the expedition left two weeks later, Queirós estimated 200 Marquesans had been killed. It seemed the Spanish still had not learned its lessons.

Despite Mendaña’s confidence that the Solomon Islands were nearby, it was not until 8 September that they sighted land again, this time the island of Nendo, which they named "Santa Cruz" to east of the Solmon islands. The ship Santa Ysabel had disappeared, however, and despite searches by the two smaller vessels, it could not be found. What happened to this ship is a mystery of history?

The remaining 3 ships Arriving at what is now Graciosa Bay, a settlement was commenced. Relations with local islanders and their chief Malope started well, with food provided and assistance in constructing buildings. However, morale amongst the Spanish was low and sickness (almost certainly malaria) was rife. Manrique made himself such and pain and a threat to the leadership that he was murdered at the orders of, and in front of Mendaña, and shortly afterwards,

Malope the chief was killed by soldiers. Relations with the Islanders soon worsened. Wracked by internal divisions and an increasing death toll, the settlement began to fall apart. Mendaña himself died on 18 October 1595, leaving his wife as heir and governor, her brother Lorenzo as captain-general. On 30 October, the decision was made to abandon the settlement. When the three ships departed on 18 November 1595, forty-seven people had died in the space of one month.

Pedro Fernandes de Queirós is credited with bringing the San Gerónimo safely into the Philippines without the aid of charts, arriving in Manila Bay on 11 February 1596. Over fifty people died on the twelve-week voyage from Santa Cruz, in part due to the lack of food supplies and allegedly Doña Isabel’s refusal to share out her private store of food and water. The frigate (carrying Mendaña's body) disappeared during the voyage, while the galiot San Felipe arrived in the southern end of Mindanao several days later.

The Spanish Colonization of the Solomon islands as you can see was a total disaster.

Yet a great mystery was born for those tragic events, which was the mystery of the fate of the the Santa Ysabel that was open to much speculation? Many years ago a carving on some coral stone was found that might give a clue to fate of the vessel?

As you can see in the pictures below.

spanish-proc1.png

Was it a clue to fate of Santa Ysabel? Or just meaningless scribble?

What you might find interesting the ship was carrying considerable money to trade with the Philippines as the colony got established.

Kanacki

OP
OP
Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Kanacki :coffee2::coffee2: Tha drawings were obviously an attempt to draw a Spanish Ship, not by natives. Will need a few days to think it over.

Incidentally when the Jesuits found that they were to be expelled, they supposedly constructed a hiddenA, Mission on Baja,where they sent sensitive records and some treasures. Still unaccouted for, called La Santa Ysabella ( Saint Isabella)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread