Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree1037Likes

Thread: Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2778 times

Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

good morning. back and since I am extremely limited at this point in revealing any more
    new data on the Tayopa project itself, I thought "why not talk of individual adventures of
    the Tayopa seekers or of Treasure hunters in general.

So feel free to post, in fact please do so.

I will start with an em from one of my friends . He describes what
    a treasure hunter feels with every find, just substitute the proper word in the appropiate place.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not a small number of people have asked me why I liked enforcement work.

Many years ago, by local standards of the xxx Personnel, a station T-shirt was designed.

The inscription superimposed on the seal is a quote from Hemingway and states this:

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man,
    and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it,
    never cared for anything else thereafter."

Certainly not Shelley or Keats much less Browning or Service, but there is a philosophical point to be made.

My answer -->

XXX: you posted -->

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man,
    and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it,
    never cared for anything else thereafter."

That is soo true, this is why I drifted to exploration and Lost mines in the then semi hostile areas. It ruined me for conventional life. In many ways it was not fair to my family.

It has been said " After individual armed conflict, one never is the same, one lives so intently during that brief moment, that for some it is like a drug, you will be living and looking for another hit forever after.

Not too many understand what you have put so nicely in print. @

Don Jose de La Mancha
    snakeyes, kuger, Mr.T and 1 others like this.
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2778 times

Re: Misc data and adventures of a Tayopa treasure hunter

this in reference to the Border Patrol going back to Horses and mules again

Hallelujah, about time, may even come back to the B.Patrol. But a two week course? My introduction to mules consisted in giving me the reins and "vaya con dios", nos veremos en dos meses. "go with God, see you in a couple of months".

I was not even shown how to saddle one, sooo my little pinto mule and I grew to know each other in a way most will never experience. Jingle bobs never worked with her since she never trotted.

Months on the trail, alone most of the time, using her saddle blanket well soaked with mule sweat at night to keep warm with, will do that, although I often wonder how she withstood 'me' after a few weeks of not taking a bath - no water, so hush xxx - I was a bit rank. So much for the romantic western Movies.

Do you spose that might have had something to do with my not making a hit with the few lonesome gals at various ranches who at first appeared interested??

Frankly this Horse thingie is so long overdue, and logical, that I wonder??

Send me a picture of you one xxx. @

Don Jose de la Mancha

Crosse De Sign likes this.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    1859 times

Tag post, please do continue.
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2778 times

allo , only if YOU do also', as well as the others.

Don Jose de La Mancha

us
    Feb 2008
    Morgantown,WV
    Bounty Hunter Landstar
    816 times

Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp

Don Jose de La Mancha
    But , Senior ,
    Your bag of stories is so large and ours , humbly , so small .
    Jim
    Wolfpack forever

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2778 times

HI truckin mi friend, not true !

Don Jose de La Mancha

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1859 times

Quote Originally Posted by Real de Tayopa Tropical Tramp

Don Jose de La Mancha
    I cannot; have never been to TAYOPA country, so the ball is in your court!

PS - that Mule sweat may have been a protection against fleas!

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2778 times

Good afternoon: I posted this from a news paper article here in Mexico -->

Armed resistance to the Zetas is forming throughout Mexio by the citizens.
    A post was promptly sent to me --> with the tongue in cheek joke, " they need
    you to teach them Jose", referring to the article mentioning that most did
    not know how to use their arms effectively yet..
    I, in return posted --> Morning Lxxxxx: As a matter of fact, I did train one that later turned enforcer for the local narcos, Charlito.. He knew of my reputation and asked me several times to teach him how to shoot a pistol, he was an exceptional student, I soon had to really stretch to stay with him. Hie managed to beat Billy The Kid by the time that he was the same age. His first notch was his sister.

He always claimed that it was an accident, that he was shooting at a hanging flower pot, which just happened to be aligned with the door and fired just as she stepped out . hmmmm. Incidentally, a bit of extremely jealous, incest was hinted at. hmmmm Next he was in the state police, where he became fairly wealthy and added more notches.. He would often drop by with other state police to have an informal match. He was constantly getting better.

One day while driving between Navojo and Obregon, I saw hundreds of book sized green plastic packages lying in the hiway. Naturally I stopped, and picked up an intact one for my friend in Alamos who had extremely bad arthritis. He steeped it in alcohol and after sufficient period, rubbed the concoction on his joints. He claimed that one application kept him pain free for over a week at a time. As we were leaving there, I saw a driver from California picking them up like firewood. snicker. Later I read that the state police had recovered 3 - 4 packages?? A state police car was entering the area just as I was leaving?? I often wondered if he and the Californian had any problems with each other. Later when I mentioned this to Charlito he became a bit agitated, and said " You @#$@#$, stupid, gringo, I have a good market for that, we could have made a fortune.

The next that I heard of Charlito, was that he had just shot his superior while leaving a cantina. He shot him in the back of the neck as they were leaving with his .44 maggie. Then as his chief was laying on the ground gasping, he deliberately shot him twice more. He always claimed that one should never allow for a return match. The local police were afraid to try to apprehend him, so he rode off to his nearby ranch' It turns out that they were arguing how to split the money from up another batch of narcotics.

A week or so later the federals picked him up quietly at the ranch and he eventually did 2 years in a 'comfortable' prison. As he was leaving the prison a representative of the Federal police approached him and offered him a position with them ?? Here was a guy that had just killed his boss He turned the federal down, since the local branch of the narcos had offered him much more money to be their enforcer.
    He gained many more notches and set the basics for his undoing. Among his latest victims, was the son of the jefe (chief) of the competing narco group in Navajoa. The jefe thought that this wasn't quite cricket, and sent 3 men with auto weapons to balance things out.

Charlito was just a country boy at heart and stayed at his ranch just outside of Alamos. He used his mule for transportation. The three waited for him on top of a rise, and as he topped it, they opened up with automatic fire until their ammo ran out, it turned out that they were deathly afraid of him. Charlito, his mule, and his doggie were all shot full of holes. No serious effort was made to find them.

Once while I was exploring the sierras, I made friends with an Indian. He was a true product of the sierras, he could neither read nor write. One night, many months later, I heard a loud banging on my front door. Upon opening it, I found my Indian friend, drunk . He merrily breezed past me and entered the house. I maneuvered him into the kitchen and started dumping coffee into him.. As usual with some of the hill Indians down here, he was was giggling. as he sobered up he commenced to tell me that he had escaped the federal troops that had trapped his group of would be Indian revolutionaries, that the federals had killed many of his friends and that his jefe (chief) was holed up at --, I stopped him right there and said that I didn't want to know here his jefe was, since no matter what happened I would be blamed.

He understood, then said "Don Jose, I want you to go the US and get me 100 Garand M-1 Rifles in 30-06 , 1000 rounds for each, 10 .45 19'11, and the same amount of ammo for them.. I want you to buy a Bronco to bring them back, I will let you know where in the sierras to take them. Hmmm, -- I carefully explained to him that I personally did not have that that much money. He grunted , and said " No problem Don Jose, I'll give you 10 kilos of the black Opium extract. Sell it and keep what ever is left".

I then tried to explain the problems of passing the border, that the Mexican officials would inspect the car. He appeared puzzled and said "what right do they have to search your car ? again hmmm After giving him some vague promises to help him in other ways, he left. Side thingie, the slaughter of some 100 Indians was never reported or in the news papers.

Later one day, I ran across Charlito with a group of drunken narcos playing mariachi music along side of a back road. They were practicing with submachine guns shooting across the road. Naturally I stopped. Some of them approached me very belligerently and demanded to know what was I doing there. I was explaining that I was returning from the sierras, when Charlito appeared. After hugging me, he promptly told them to back off, that I was his personal friend and that I was the best pistolero in Mexico, that I had taught him how to shoot,, Naturally I had to have few beer, being Charlito's compadre (?) and as the conversation dragged a bit, I remember my Indian friend and asked charlito " I have an Indian friend in the sierras that wants me to sell 10 kilos of the black gum, what would his group think of it"? He sobered up a bit, thought, then said don't worry Jose, I will vouch for you, have fun, but please don't make a habit of this".

Sigh, think of the many lost chances to be wealthy that I have thrown away, I guess that I have to blame the lousy, cottin pickin, Border Patrol for reinforcing my original set of morals.

The BP, Bill Toney, Jordan, keith, McGivern and Capt Wadman all had a hand in my training. Without being a bit asinine, they did a good job, I beat the Mexican national pistol champion. When I was actively exploring the remote barraca regions, evey little group of people that I met, once they saw my .357 S&W on my belt, would insist on a bit of informal competition. I did my part to successfully uphold the BP's reputation, both with the pistol and propaganda. They were always greatly impressed when I insisted on setting up a human sized target up to 400 meters, they wouldn't even try with a rifle. They were particularly impressed with my quick draw work, 3/5th of a sec to draw and hit a sil target at 10 meters..

In the back country then, they didn't judge you by your position in life, but how much of a macho you were , and pistol work was the major part of it. Later I found that this reputation opened many doors, and protected me. @

Don Jose de La Mancha ( el sheltered Saint that lives in his cave at the end of the road meditating his mavel
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr.T likes this.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2778 times

ORO you have spent time in the superstitions, the desert areas, mining areas, working with horses, mules, cows, sheep, tropical tramps, etc. You have lots to tell of doggies and experiences. All are interesting and should be told. Right now many are complaining because the older prospectors etc didn't tell much, you wish that they could return so that you can quiz them for their information. You would love to question ole Jacob.

Now the other shoe is on 'your' foot.

So post so that your kiddies and grand kiddies will know what life was like during the last of the 'free generations'. Today's kiddies cannot imagine how it was when your were a kiddie. How you could just take off and go prospecting or hunting just about anywhere you normally wished. How you and Beth worked that rich little prospect, or how you found the lost arch mine and on.

Don't try to pull that "I haven't done anything worth posting", everyone has. Perhaps you haven't won the congressional medal of Honor - as a matter of fact, neither have I ?? - but you have won many medals with me.

The same applies to all of you.

Don Jose de La Mancha

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1859 times

HEY quit passing the buck amigo!

More of YOUR adventures and experiences are what we want to read, so now you have started the ball rolling,....hmmm?

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2778 times

Good morning xxx, you asked about the picture of his 50 meter target, k. However, this is his best that day. The vertical stringing was due mostly to the fact that we were using bull's-eye powder pushing a 156 gr Keith semi wadcutter. Since the power only filled part of the case, it gave slight variations in pressure / velocity. I later cured that with an inert filler, but that day at the range I had him simply point the barrel vertically before each shot and it almost eliminated his vertical stringing.

Here he is in the classic two handed hold with the .40. -->

That is a beautiful little pistol, it is built like a clock, almost seems like a toy after my Hi-way patrol .357, but the 357 was easier to shoot since it has far more weight. My pore SW .357 ended up a victim of my son's urge to play cowboy and Indian. One day when I wasn't around, he took it without permission to the brush to play. In the process of jumping from one part of a cliff to the other, it came loose and tumbled down into the brush below. Despite both he, and his friends search, they could never find it. It later popped up in town, I heard of this via the grape vine. I sent word that I would happily buy it back, but no response.

He never knew how close he came to losing his procreative abilities. sigh , well, momentarily thought of.

Sniff, it was like losing a close friend since it had been with me for years, sometimes being worn for weeks at a time without taking it off. I even slept with it, especially in the brush/ back country, but it never was under a pillow, but under the covers down by my waist where it could be accessed without any notice. Another story, on another dull sunday afternoon, on this being used once.

As time went by, I gradually concentrated on small game acquisition for trail food. I even tried a sheridan ,20 air rifle. It was adequate for 10 - 15 meters, but beyond that, because of variations of air pressure, not reliably accurate, still, it filled my hungry belly many times.

One day I was travelling alone, as usual, on my mule riding on the trail which ran on top of a fairly high cliff . As I rode along, I remembered that I had been told of mysterious things that had happened here. Several men had been found dead with their mules at the base of the cliff. No one could explain it, except for evil spirits or possibly Duendes, although there were rumors of bandidos throwng them off of the cliff to hide their crime. However the bodies always had all of their valuables. ??

As I rode along I was happily thinking of this, when suddenly I heard a whish and my hat was knocked off. The mule promptly reared up and was looking around with wide eyes. As I recovered both my, and my mules composures, I looked around to see what had happened. I saw an extremely large zopilote (buzzard) sailing off to my right above the valley below. He circled a few times gaining altitude then zoomed down on me again. I ducked and he circed out over the valley again gaining altitude, then started a third run. I decided that this was going a bit too far, so I pulled the sheridan out of its scabbard , gave a few extra pumps and was ready for him. When he was just a few meters away, I point aimed and fired, he twitched a bit, then broke off heading out over the valley .

I thought "I hope that stung a little you #$##.. I watched him carefully as he continued going directly away from me out over the deep canyon. When he was perhaps 1000 ft, above the canyon, he suddenly folded one wing and spiraled down in slow turns into the forest below. Frankly, I felt a bit sorry, since I really hadn't intended to kill him, just startle him enough so that he would stop his playing.

By a curious co incidence no more dead men or mules were ever found again. It appears that the buzard had found that by scaring the rider or mule they would lose control and fall off of the cliff where he would have a smorgasbord later. @

Don Jose de La Mnacha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.Fran 50 meter target..jpg 
Views:	1439 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	52818   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.Fran 50 meter target..jpg 
Views:	1356 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	532857  

Sir piss alot

Jan 2005
    island in the coral sea
    Whatever I do not break.... Worlds greatest lover everything I touch I F---
    1984 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Hello All

Looking a target I suspect the shooter was right handed?

Crow

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2778 times

Hi Crow: he was, but he wasn't pulling off to the right, it was a lighting problem on the front sight, Excellent observation my friend. *****.

Don Josed de La Mancha

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    2778 times

Geeze my friends, do you actually think that I can post one true story a day for a year 'all alone' ? HALP!! ORO, Crow, Truckin, Rockhound, and the others. This would wipe out my base for the Book.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    Mastiff4me and Crosse De Sign like this.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    1859 times

Don Jose de la Mancha wrote
    Geeze my friends, do you actually think that I can post one true story a day for a year 'all alone' ? HALP!! ORO, Crow, Truckin, Rockhound, and the others. This would wipe out my base for the Book.

Don Jose de La Mancha
    I do not believe that you will run out of material any time soon amigo, and even the incidents which you have already shared, likely have far more details which you can add when you compose the book. I do hope that you are working on it still? Not going to start throwing stones or use the ox-goad or bullwhip (verbally) to try to 'drive' you forward, for I am an expert procrastinator myself.

I don't have any stories that can match your experiences, and have never been to TAYOPA country (yet) so really it is not quite in keeping with your topic, but I can give an example that may prove entertaining. This is a more recent incident (last winter) and a good example of why I prefer camping away from roads in general.

Beth and I, with our pack of super-friendly dogs, were heading for home from AZ and decided to spend a little time poking around in the Pyramid mountains in NM. There are a few old silver mines there, mostly old copper mines of course and the silver mines are largely played out but once in a while you can find a nice piece of "specimen" ore and we do not have many silver ore specimens. Anyway as it is largely all accessible by decent roads or a 4WD, we drove out to the area not far from the aforementioned old silver mines, set up camp, had some trouble finding firewood for the evening meal (and heat) but thankfully the winds died down and other than being cold, it was quite pleasant. Off in the distance you could see the twinkling lights of distant ranches or rural homes, and the occasional lights of a vehicle heading down the highways. For a car-camp spot, other than the complete lack of water and scarce firewood, it was quite nice.

I had dug out my laptop PC and was looking up the info on the local mines, and the digital forms of the topo maps for the next day (wanted to hike in and check out a prospect that never did develop into a mine) and the dogs suddenly alerted that they heard something. A moment later we spotted headlights winding their way up the mountain. Not exactly alarming, as it is accessible by vehicle this could be anything, but it does not pay to be less than vigilant and especially so, the closer one gets to the borders. So we kept watch, as the vehicle (some kind of SUV, too dark to make out what exactly) wound its way up the mountain and ended up a few hundred yards off to the SE of our camp.

As it was not very windy, we could hear the occupants as they piled out of their SUV it was clear that they were young partiers, sounding already well into the bottle (or whatever mind-altering substance they were using) as they stumbled and giggled. Their mission involved some shooting, followed by a decision to burn some large rubbish. Apparently it is a rite of passage to then seize the burning large piece of rubbish, and flail it about while dancing. Unfortunately, there was a puff of wind just as the reveler was in the middle of the fire-dance, and set some of the nearby brush on fire. Still holding his fire-offering, he and his companions set to work to stomp out the resulting brushfire. As the fire got extinguished, unfortunate for the fire-worshipper, he failed to notice that his offering torch had burned down a bit too close to his own clothing and now set his own clothes on fire.

His fire-dance now took on quite a comical appearance, and his being inebriated did not apparently seem to help his situation much; his companions decided that retreat was the better part of valour and piled back into the vehicle, while the fire-worshipper went through gymnastics and an impromptu strip-tease. I probably should have run to the rescue at some point in this but we were both seized with uncontrollable fits of laughter, which must be due to having remembered something funny - it would be impolite to say we were laughing at his discomfiture.

Fortunately for our late night revelers, Mr Fire was able to end his dance successfully, and we could hear the clear exclamations of "I'm all right" to his compatriots seeking safety inside the vehicle. This brief error however seems to have ended the revelry, and they decided to head back down out of the mountains. Thinking our free entertainment was done for the evening, I poured Beth and myself a fresh cup of sock-coffee and went back to checking on the records of the old (local) mines, while keeping one eye on the SUV as it worked its way back down.

As they got about half way down the mountain, they seem to have changed their minds and decided to turn around in the road. The road is not too wide at that particular point, so I expected to see the SUV make a couple of back-ups in the 'broken-K' method of turning about. Not our revelers - they made a sudden and hard swing backwards, right down over a steep embankment. This left the headlights shining out to our alien space neighbors in the sky, and Beth insisted that someone must go see if they are alright so I started down the hill to be of assistance if needed. Before I reached their upended vehicle, all five of the party was out of the vehicle and unharmed, and un-willing to have any assistance. So I headed back, but decided to keep an eye on them. They spent the next several hours trying to physically lift the SUV and get it back onto the roadway, without success. One of the party had a cell phone (and must have used it) and to make a long story even longer, by daylight had managed to get a tow truck to extract their stranded vehicle. All of which turned out harmless, but in their extraction they left behind several cases of empty beer cans strewn over the ground.

I hope this was entertaining, if un-related to our topic matter, and I look forward to reading the stories from you all.
    Oroblanco

Page 1 of 69 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors