Anything usefull to do with those 30 dollar detectors?

starprince

Greenie
Aug 30, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites 6000DI Series 3, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro, Fisher 1212X, Garrett American AM-2, Garrett Beach Hunter AT3, and Garrett Hunter BFO (Retired but still works)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a golf club! Might even score better than with treasure hunting.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Don't knock those old cheap detectors, they have many advantages over their expensive counterparts:
  • they are cheap
  • you don't worry about breaking one in rough terrain
  • you don't worry about it getting stolen from your vehicle so you more often take it along
  • you don't worry so much about it getting wet if it rains, also you can trash bag it for the water
  • you aren't too worried about it getting confiscated by hunting where you weren't supposed to
  • in all, you hunt more with a cheap one

Good Hunting! omnicognic 8)

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Have "penny hunts" at b'day parties for youngsters with stuff as a prize . You could do hoilday hunts as well . At Easter you could bury coins that correspont to eggs or baskets on a table as well as other neat stuff .You give each child a turn and keep the rotation going until everybody gets a couple of prizes .

starprince

Greenie
Aug 30, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites 6000DI Series 3, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro, Fisher 1212X, Garrett American AM-2, Garrett Beach Hunter AT3, and Garrett Hunter BFO (Retired but still works)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just me or does anyone get mad when we want to give our kids a metal detector that we cannot even find anthing with? Do we really want to give our kids a unit that we hate and expect them to like the hobby? I hear this all the time, "ok for a child to use", really???. Get your children a low priced one, ok! but is easy to use and finds coins. I made a joke before but I think we need to give our loved ones better. No harm meant to those who have posted here, just telling the truth.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Jake,

hang it on a wall in the garage, and every now and then, say hello; remember the first few finds, even it they were nails and bits of metal. That machine is what got you started. It was that first step. Sort of like keeping a pair of baby shoes.

have a good un..............

R

rvbvetter

Bury it 6 ft. down.

Then you can always say how it went deeper than these new detectors. HH

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Back years ago a bought brand name top dollar detectors that couldn't hardly detect pennies. Today some $30 China made machines are better than big name units costing $200.

Put it on ebay, maybe somebody wants to hang it on the wall and remember their childhood.

Z

ZumbroKid

I got one i paid $25 for. It was used when i bought it, used when they bought it. and donated to goodwill before that. Rest of machine history is unknown. Now this spring i will be taking it out and posting what i find with it. I also believe i can find coins from before 1900 with it. ;)

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Its not really old, they still make them, the little red ones with the huge spoeaker and solid coil.

F

FredMaxwell

I have an old jetco that works real well but it doesn't see coins from more than a couple air inches away
It just grunts at you when it sees the coin
Hold it over rebar or a shovel and it gets excited like a rabid dog

I tried to tune it in for a slight hum but then it just goes crazy if you move it at all :D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bury it in concrete so it can't ruin another persons life. I hate to see these for sale as most new comers to the hobby give it up while using one of these. Sorta leaves more for us. ;D

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a El-Cheapo Target china made metal detector, I haven't actually purchased a proper one (like a Minelabs Quattro/ExplorerII) as I had no idea about metal detecting and one day at the shops walked past it, and remembed I always wanted one as a kid ::)
I brought it home and it works alright... sometimes it can't even find the car lol ;D

Since I don't use it... as it is embrassing if I was caught out in public by another TH with this cheapo unit, I'm thinking about making a ROV and waterproofing the detector and mounting it on the ROV to help in underwater hunting, it has a alright All-Metal mode so I guess thats better then noting :)

I also have an interest with Meteorites so the cheapo should be ok in locating anything iron and rock like looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread