Shopping for a Metal Detector ~ Need Help Please

shawneetreasure

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2005
Pennsylvania

Hello, I'm shopping for a metal detector and noticed two deals on overstock.com
One is a Prospect PR 2000 Digital Metal Detector that lists for $300 and sells there for $129.99 plus only 3.00 shipping.
The other is Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II - retails 279.95 and sells there for 179.99. (better deals than Walmart for
a beginner?)
They mention the Prospect is fine for mud, wet surfaces (sand?) all metals and the Bounty Hunter it really doesn't say.
What would be the best metal detector to choose?
Naturally, I want to dab a little in sand, soil, and look for coins, precious metals (gold), etc. at the cheapest price to
'start' with.
Also is there any that take 'rechargeable batteries' instead of 9 volt, I don't believe there are charger for that type?
Is there another someone would like to recommend from their experience? I don't even know where is the best place
to purchase.
Thank you.?

gunner6170

Oct 6, 2005
North Carolina
::)
Howdy!
well, i'm fairly new, but one place i'd check is bizrate.com and compare prices there for
anny detector you're considering. i did lots of checking before i bought my first (and only
detector so far), a BH Time Ranger, and discovered up to around a $200 difference depending
on who you purchased from. But bizrate will let you sort by price and customer satisfaction.

I like my Time Ranger, but can't really say about other MDers cause i have never used any others.
A lot of folks on these forums seem to like the ACE250, which sells for around $250, i think.
I believe tha one is by Garrett, but i'll defer to the more knowledgable folks on these forums
for their input. But if you're "iffy" at all whether you'll like metal detecting, don't spend a fortune
on your first detector till you know for sure. Trust me, if you're like everyone else i know that has
tried MDing, you'll be an addict in no time! :P You'll have plenty of time on the future to upgrade.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Hi my advice is dont buy a cheap sub standard detector.You would be better off buying a second hand good quality detector for the same money.
I would recommend a Minelab Sovereign I have one and have owned it for around ten years, they come with their own rechargeable battery system so you are not buying batteries all of the time.
The depth these machines will pick up targets is excellent I have regularly picked up coins at over a foot deep. ?They ?can be used ? in all soil conditions where other detectors cant be used they are not affected by highly mineralised soil black sand or salt.You are able to use them in the sea in shallow water providing you seperate the control box and keep it dry , I put my ?control box in a small shoulder bag and have found hundreds of coins and jewelry items doing this.This machine was first released in the early 1990s and is still being produced today,even the oldest model will equal if not beat the depth capabilities of some of todays top of the range detectors.
The garret 250 you will be lucky to pick a coin up over 6 inches deep and you will also ?have trouble using them in wet salty beach and ?black sand areas. The bounty hunters cant match the sovereign in depth.
You will find if you buy a cheaper sub standard machine you will regret it and will have thrown your money away by buying a good quality second hand machine ?if you do want to sell it later you will get your money back. If ?buy from a recognised dealer and you will get a warranty as well on your machine.
thats my advice ?hope I have helped seeya Neilo ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Neilo. I have been at this hobby for many years and have sold and tested many different brands. You would be very unhappy with a sub standard detector. I recommend looking at the middle price machines by Tesoro, Fisher, Whites, and Minelab. Tesoro and Fisher both have Life time Warranties. I could go on for pages on what's good. I own many machines and do all kinds of detecting including diving. Think of them like golf clubs, all are best at a certain type detecting.

Buying a second hand detector is a good way to go and you could save some $$$. But you have to wonder why it's for sale if it's so good. Why didn't they keep it for a backup detector, or give it to a relative? But buying from a dealer with a store front says miles for service and help if something goes wrong. They will demonstrate a used detector for you and explain it's features better. They also may have extra coils which you might want later.

If you still want to buy from the internet, ONLY buy from major mail order dealers, not e Bay, or Overstock. Who are you going to talk to when you want help?

HH,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread