same detector different performance?

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
My experience using different detectors of different brands is quite limited compared to some posters on these forums.

My question is: how do different models of the same type and brand compare when tested side by side?

From reading different forums I almost get the impression that there can be a difference in the performance of one machine to the next even though they are the same.

I read one post where a person had purchased three machines which were were the same before he found one that was to his liking as far as performance.

Do any readers (perhaps dealers who have access to more machines) have any comments on this?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think many detectors in a series like the Garrett GTI and GTA, etc have the same basic electronics to start with with the higher priced models having more bells and whistles. At least that's what I am getting out of the testing and reporting I have seen. I maybe completely wrong but that is just an educated guess. Some special use detectors are probably hard wired differenly, such as PI underwater machines, those designed for specific use (gold prospecting) etc. But I know just enough about it to get myself into trouble! ;) Monty

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Well I am not a dealer so I would not know if one machine in a new shipment is a bit "hotter" than the others.

However, hearing about a certain brand detector which is below par compared to other identical detectors is not uncommon. The scenario is the same each time. Guy buys a brand x detector and is unhappy with it's performance. He is on a brand forum site asking for help. Well it turns out that one of the previous owners had attempted to "tweak" the machine. The previous owner after screwing up the machine dumped the detector on E-Bay. If the detector has gone thru several owners the guy you bought it from may be completely innocent.

One of the reasons why I prefer to buy a used detector from a dealer.
George

OP
OP
F

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
I recently bought a new Cibola from a dealer. From reading some of the air test results on some forums it makes me question whether my new detector is up to par when I observe the results I get. I also wonder how accurate or how truthful those air test results can be....

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think air or static tests are very accurate at all! I can take one of my gold rings and bury it the same depth that I recently dug up a gold class ring. I will get a completely different reading in the ground than I did in the air. I truly believe that an air test is only good for demonstration purposes and has very little practical use for the detectorist. Try it and you will see what I mean! Monty

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
froggy38383 said:
I recently bought a new Cibola from a dealer. From reading some of the air test results on some forums it makes me question whether my new detector is up to par when I observe? the results I get. I also wonder how accurate or how truthful those air test results can be....

Your Cibola is up to par and what you're seeing is what's known in the real world as "reality."*

*"reality": "The state of being actual or real"

While "reality" is not nearly as glamorous or entertaining as non-"reality" it can be rather novel after one acquires a taste for it.? ;)

They say "take it with a gain of salt" but when it comes to depth reports (ground or air) I say use a shovel.? :P

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally buy from a dealer and ask to check out three machines of the same model. There is normally a difference in performance. I pick the best and then swap the coils round and get the best coil. Result a 'hot' detector. One time I did buy without testing, the machine was really not up to scratch and had three returns to the manufacturer before it was right (circuit board and coil ended up being replaced). The inground difference in discrimination was two inches, so worth the effort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread