Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tver100

Jan 26, 2006
Hello,

i am an owner of a time ranger of the bounty hunter and recently i am searching the field in an area where the soil is mostly mineralized and moisty almost always, so up to now no objects have been found up to 10 in but i am sure that there should be somthing out there because three years ago i dug some iron metals just for test in 30 in. and another in 40 to 50 in the one was about a cd disc size and the other 50 in diameter circular, which nothing of this two above have been detected up to now should i change the metal detector or i do something rong with the time ranger.

Also a detector when it detects some metal in the air (let say 30 inch away from the coil) should detect the same object in the soil.

Thank you.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
<<Also a detector when it detects some metal in the air (let say 30 inch away from the coil) should detect the same object in the soil.>>

No, especially in "hot" or mineral laden soil. Air tests are only useful if you hunt flying coins or as a relative trial for comparing detectors. Coins leach a halo into the surrounding soil, especially coppers, that cause a different reading than in the air. Iron leaches even more as it corrodes steadily over time. Also, try air tests with the coin held edge on torwards the coil. MUCH less "depth".

Bury a few coins and other objects at 6", 8" and 12" in your back yard for a test garden. If you know they're there and can't find them, it's the unit. I won't bad mouth Bounty Hunter, but I don't know ANY serious coin diggers that use one.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A detector that gives a huge air distance test like you describe would not operate at the same depth in the ground. None can. The use of a bigger coil and better ground balancing coupled with over lapping swings will get the area covered well. Large objects are not the same as coins sized ones. Discrimination can rob your detector of needed depth too. If you have Iron Mask, turn it off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions