The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A larger search coil is the easiest method of detecting deeper objects, but you may lose some sensitivity to small objects. Turning up the sensitivity or using an all metal mode also works to increase depth.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't want a P.I. then you could change the coil (perhaps fit a SunRay 12") and change the headphones and you end up with a nice machine. I think Sunray will supply the waterproof connectors required.
Re detecting in all metal or discrimination, discrim. is to high at the minimum positition on the Excalibers/Sovereigns etc but all metal will not always give you more depth. I have beaches where the exact opposite is true. Its just a case of finding a deep (good) target and trying both.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I use an excalibur with the standard ten inch coil running on minumum discrimination and manual sensitivity at maximum without too much falsing and have detected targets so deep I cant retrieve them. Bigger coils will lose out on small targets and are affected more by interference and false signals at high sensitivity settings.
Be careful if you put a connector half way down your cable if you change coil sizes they are prone to leaks.
Remember deeper targets on the Excalibur sometimes will only be indicated by change in threshold, go slow and keep coil at same height especially at high sensitivity.
seeya Neilo ;D

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
CC obviously you dont know how to use the machine properly so how can you criticise.Remember the Excalibur is the water version of the Sovereign which is not the top of the range machine from Minelab.You are comparing it to the top of the range other machines.Having said that you will find in highly mineralised ground or black salty sand the Excal or Sovereign will out perform most of your top brands. Seeya Neilo ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering....Where is Minelab manufactured? Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
monty, minelab headquarters is in australia, with manufacturing facilities in australia and in ireland. they have a distribution center in the states.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab has lots of fans, like me.? It's a Winchester vs. Remington kind of thing, and brand loyalty is not a bad thing.? Minelab makes good detectors.? As do Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro, etc.? Some are a better fit to individual techniques and targets than others.? As a company Minelab's bread-and-butter are gold nuggets and land mines.? Except for the X-Terra 30 they are not "turn on and hunt" detectors.? They require you to be smarter than the dirt you're searching.? This can take 20 seconds of your time to manually ground balance the unit.? ?If you can't find a copper cent at the depth equal to your coil's width you're not listening.

Test the Excalibur 1000 against most other detectors at 180 feet underwater as it was designed for.? ?;D? As mentioned, it's not a "primary" land detector.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DETECTOR WARS U__/_/-----/

T

tallpaul

LOL, AINT YA JUST GOTTA LAUGH!!!!!!!!!!! GLAD I DONT HAVE THIS TROUBLE, IAM DOIN JUST FINE, :)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
believe me,im no soldier in the war!! i think minelab makes a great detector. ;)

D

Doctor Detroit

You don't say what size coil your using now. As stated before, a larger coil will detect deeper than a smaller one---usually. However since it "sees" a larger foot print it could miss smaller targets.

As much as I love my Excal 1000, it is not good nor deep for land. There are many detectors that are lots better. Explorer II is one, DFX another. Mainly these top of the line $$$ detectors are adjustable for all ground and search conditions. They excel at what they do.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF? Coiltec makes a W.O.T. 15" Coil for the Excalibur, Get one.

? ?Its a DD Coil & It will NOT Loose Sensitivity on small objects, & you'll Increase your Depth alot.

I believe it's Australian also? ;)

?

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Coiltek do make a 15inch coil for the Sovereign which can be used on the Excalibur.There is also a waterproof connector made by coiltek which is available. I have tried using the bigger coils in the water one thing that soon became apparent was the extra drag it created.Especially if there was any current plus it is harder to pinpoint also.
seeya anti war Neilo ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread