Pulse Star II

darkkitten2000

Feb 26, 2009
Kal nad Kanalom
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, Miner4, eeTH, ETI561
Hi,
i have had this machine on testing for some 14 days or so, the schematics of the "G" version could be found in www.thunting.com (see PI and deepseekers).

Depth wise, this machine could be compared with Miner4 (some 3m down to humid forest soil), Miner4 is more sophistiocated (modern, digitalised) and offers wider wariety and more refined settings, which also makes it more difficult to use. The Pulstar II features a discriminator, two diodes only, which is quite bogus for deep targets (more guessing than detecting), the same goes for Miner4 only the Miner calculates the share of diamagnetic and ferro/paramagnetic in total (all metals) signal. For shallow targets (i.e. some 20-30 cm) both are working more or less well for a PI. I had both schematics but i chose to build the Miner4 (at that time i did not know the DBP2010).

DBP2010, however, features no discriminator and other bells and wisthels, non the less, depth wise and price wise it outperformes both machines (down to good 4m, EUR 300 for material), analog design makes it straight forwart to use, no or little false signals at max. sensitivity, which cannot be said for abowe detectors. This, in my oppinion, is the best machine to cover the deep end in the up to $2000 range, maybe even more, and it is definitly a choice to build.

regards,
d.

OP
OP
bigstrapper

bigstrapper

Greenie
Apr 12, 2010
Renton, WA.
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
d, I have been using this for about 5 months. It had belonged to my dad but he is not able to use the equipment any more. I've been testing different precious metals at different depths.

I sometimes get a red light and green light on the same hit so kind of hard to differ between ferrous and non-ferrous. I just have to keep getting out there and be diligent.

Thankyou for the info on the comparison on the machines.

darkkitten2000

Feb 26, 2009
Kal nad Kanalom
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, Miner4, eeTH, ETI561
hi,
yeah, this is usually the case with discriminators on PIs, the thiming of the curve can be easily influenced, besides, the thick layer (i.e. 1m or more) of soil always affects this. That's why i do not build discriminators on PIs any more. Non the less what really counts is great depths these machines are capable of, and Pulse Star II is a nice (deep) detector.

have fun,
d.

OP
OP
bigstrapper

bigstrapper

Greenie
Apr 12, 2010
Renton, WA.
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
d.

I been trying to use a MFD first on search areas so that way I have a more defined area of search in stead of covering such large areas so that way I don't lose a whole day on nickels and dimes.

I find that working the shore lines on low tide with the Pulse Star II works great since it's all waterproof connections. I have a friend who helps me with carrying the large 80 x 80 search coil, works great, drop markers and come back with a pinpointer, thanks for the tips, Gary.

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bigstrapper,

I would love to compare notes with you on the Pulse Star II Pro. I just purchased a used one a couple of weeks ago and went out with it a couple of times. There's definitely a learning curve involved. I have the 1m x 1m coil, the 18 inch coil, and the 10 inch coil. Anyway, I'd love to hear from you.

Frank

OP
OP
bigstrapper

bigstrapper

Greenie
Apr 12, 2010
Renton, WA.
Detector(s) used
Pulse Star II
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Frank,

I have the older model one so it's probably a little different than your's but the same in style. I have the 4' x 4' coil and the 8' x 8' coil. I also have the small and large circle coils, never actually measured the circle ones. It is a little bit of trial and error, or I should say a lot of trial and more of error. I'm still trying to get the hang of it getting multiple readings on the same object and getting readings on certain types of soil so I probably can't offer a lot of advice at this time but to say keep on trying and get lucky.

Gary (Bigstrapper)

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Frank,

I have the older model one so it's probably a little different than your's but the same in style. I have the 4' x 4' coil and the 8' x 8' coil. I also have the small and large circle coils, never actually measured the circle ones. It is a little bit of trial and error, or I should say a lot of trial and more of error. I'm still trying to get the hang of it getting multiple readings on the same object and getting readings on certain types of soil so I probably can't offer a lot of advice at this time but to say keep on trying and get lucky.

Gary (Bigstrapper)

BS Can't you tune some of the ground noise out ? Looks like that would be annoying when really getting into trying to find a cache. I can understand the lights when something is deep. Was wanting to get a deep pulse again but they are too high,If i could read schmatics Id' build my own. I also had a TDI Whites that had good disc but in disc the depth suffered.My 2000 pulse was deep but nervous to the point it needed some more adjustments on it to smooth it out.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Darkkitten Wonder what it would cost to build a DBP2010 from a kit? And what one would charge to make it up? have any idea? thanks rwd mo (Mo in usa)

visio

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Anyone out there still using their Pulstar's? Want to know your thoughts on them now that the mfg. (TB Metal Detectors) has ceased operations. I've bought mine 3 yrs ago on ebay. Still running strong. Anyone had success detecting non-ferrous objects where the green indicator led goes on with some accuracy?

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a nice deep detector, the "discriminating" lights are more of cosmetic nature, though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread