Garrett AT PRO Connector (Headphone & Coil)

CoNtAcT2000

Greenie
Feb 11, 2011
Garrett AT PRO Connector (Headphone & Coil)

Hi,

i bought the AT Pro and i want wearing the box on a belt. Unfortunately the coil cable is to short to realize that.

So i want build my own coil-cable-extension.
Did someone know, where to buy these connectors?
Garrett didnt sell the connectors on the open market - and they dont tell the producer.

Thanks for your help

Michael

Attachments

• K1600_IMG_0222.JPG
    K1600_IMG_0222.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 6,139
  • K1600_IMG_0240.JPG
    K1600_IMG_0240.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 4,251

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Re: Garrett AT PRO Connector (Headphone & Coil)

cUT THE CABLE AND SPLICE IN A NEW PIECE

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

have you tried to call garrett customer service and asking for the connectors. i thought i heard from someone that garrett has the connectors for those people that wanted to put the water proof connectors on their existing headphones (insted of using the headphones provided)
i know their customer service is great, i needed a battery holder for an older machine and they sent me out a set for free.

OP
OP
C

CoNtAcT2000

Greenie
Feb 11, 2011

I wrote some mails to Bradley Keel from Garrett Sales Team. His last mail:

"Good morning,
Sorry for the delay of getting back to you. We were closed most of last week due to the bad weather, we were also not here yesterday due to the bad weather.
I was able to finally get an answer for you. The underwater connector is a custom design manufactured to Garrett specification. It is not available on the open market.
Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Thanks and have a great day,
Brad Keel"

Its not so easy to cut of the orignial connector. You need to know the pin allocation. But the connector is full of wax or silicone. You have to slice up the connector and notice the pin allocation. And then, its not sure, that the AT Pro will work accurate with the longer cable - there's no Plan B to get back the original state.

ive cut of the connector of the headphone. I added a 1/8" headphone jack...it works, but the new headphone is too quiet. My headphone has 32 Ohm...think i need 16 Ohm headphones. ill try that.

OP
OP
C

CoNtAcT2000

Greenie
Feb 11, 2011

damn, i hate that american shit! I hate Garrett. Why they use 8 OHM Headphones??? WHY? Who use so big, shitty headphones. You cant use other, better headphones.... ill sell the fucking at pro and will buy a XP Deus.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I knew it! I knew it!...You get what you pay for.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you know where a schematic is for the machine and head phones ? If you do and can email them to me I can work out a way to get them to work for you and other head phones .

Let me know and I will help if I can.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

[email protected]
[email protected]

Got one from reid a few years ago for my Ls,......He use to make them when the plugs were available but does not anymore, good guy, may want to drop him aline and see if he can help.....

Attachments

• p1110819.jpg
    p1110819.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 4,397
OP
OP
C

CoNtAcT2000

Greenie
Feb 11, 2011

hi again,

sorry, i was too dumb to build the headphone connector ;D used a wrong cable. Now it works perfectly with 1/8" headphone jack. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

ive ordered 2 coil connectors directly from garret..dunno why they dont offer this to me at the beginning. I wrote about 20 mails and ask for the producer of these connectors. Now ive to try to build the cable extension for the coil....

KurtB

Sep 8, 2006
Lincoln, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro

I called Garrett a couple of days ago and the lady told me that they did not offer the connector for sale that I would have to wait for their adapter to come out. May I ask who you spoke to? I sure would like to get a couple.

Thanks

Kurt

yellerstang

Jul 2, 2011
Northumberland County, PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Garrett AT PRO Connector (Headphone & Coil) careful..

Just a note for those who have these connectors on their machines... be careful to keep all and any sand or debris from getting inside the connectors. They will instantly jam up and you will have great trouble removing or replacing the connectors.

I found this out the hard way. Of course.

Jess in PA

JohninNC

Greenie
Aug 24, 2011
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
MXT w/Mods, coils: 9.5", 10"DD, 5.3", 3"x20" Big Dawg Coil.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I also called Garrett about these connectors. I make coils and have a few requests for a certain type coil. Garrett will not sell me any coil connectors or cables with connectors. I think a larger variety of coils would sell more machines, but they don't see it that way. I would love to find a supplier of these connectors.
John in NC

OP
OP
C

CoNtAcT2000

Greenie
Feb 11, 2011

Hi again from Germany,

ive done some modification to my AT Pro. I have build a headphone adapter to get rid of these horrible original Garrett headphones.
After i got the connectors and the pin allocation table from Garrett, i tried to build the cable extension - but what can see my eyes after i cut of the coil connector? - they send me the wrong plan!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

After some bottles of beer i had to slice up the connector and watch after the original allocation. Because Garrett can only deliver the male connector - i can't use them. So i bought new DIN connectors here in Germany.

For the first test i used a single shielded cable, but that didnt work - the detector had a lot of false signals even if you dont move it.
So i searched a new type of cable.
After some search i found a usable cable :laughing7: - a DVI cable (to connect TFT on computers) - there are more cable pairs inside as needed but so what. Its important, that the single cable pairs are shielded, and that the cable has a outer, seperate foil shield.
After soldering the cables and a few tests i used epoxy to fix the cables in the new connectors.

It was work for a few days, i was really nerved, because i had to work very accurate. But it was worth it.
Finally i can wear that thing on my belt support braces :laughing9:

Now comes the next thing...that horrible stem! its instable, waggly and not comfortable!
I love to search with the AT Pro, but i think this technics (stem, cable, case, headphones) are from the 80´s!
Come on Garrett engineers, its 2011 already!

Watch the XP Deus detector: http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/uk_detecteurs_DEUS.php
- wireless coil
- wireless headphones
- easy to use and stable stem
that are things that i call innovative! We dont need more Graphic Target Imaging...

I hope it was an interesting posting and you could understand my english :icon_thumright:

@JohninNC: I'm interested in your coils, plz contact me! Thanks!

Some Pictures (not the best camera...):

Attachments

• DSCF1796.jpg
    DSCF1796.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,414
  • DSCF1793.jpg
    DSCF1793.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,565
  • DSCF1806.jpg
    DSCF1806.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 2,124
  • DSCF1804.jpg
    DSCF1804.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,450
  • DSCF1803.jpg
    DSCF1803.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 3,006
  • DSCF1800.jpg
    DSCF1800.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,364
  • DSCF1798.jpg
    DSCF1798.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1,724

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other

One of the couple reasons I sold my AT. Honestly since its a "waterproof" machine it should have come with "waterproof" headphones. Hint #1 to me that they were not real confident about this being an actual water machine and that they were more interested in selling parts separately.
Liking your stealth setup you got going on now though :icon_thumright:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Hay 2000, that XP Deus probably looks better to you each day. It has great specs, but a killer price.
Frank

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha yea good old proprietary sales tactics. I think its a bit rude as well that,,, they want to charge around $60 for an adapter!! (2 plugs and a little wire)
I guess they wanted a reasonable weather seal and it would make good economic sense for them to buy an off the shelf component rather than to make a totally new piece, but then who knows.
I had a look at Alibaba site there is heaps of stuff there. Still I didn't see anything that was close but will keep an eye out.
Should my At Pro phones ever crap out i will cut the plug off them and mod it to a new pair of phones.
Good luck

antoninvs

Sep 13, 2015
Netherlands
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Minelab excaliber explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys
I hunt with the attack nel coil but it is heavy and I have a new shaft made
Its working fine but I can fold it and is difficult to transport see pictures
now I want to use the shaft of XP but the cable is too short because the angle of the handle
see pictures
Can someone help me to an waterproof extension cable
Sorry for my bad English
Thanks and HH
Greetings Antonio
Netherlands IMG_1466verkl - kopie.jpg IMG_1468verkl - kopie.jpg IMG_1536verkl - kopie.jpg IMG_1537verkl - kopie.jpg IMG_2807.jpg pro.jpg

rd05

Dec 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
antoninvs
Increase the cable. Connections to solder. Insulate the connection cable with tape.

kct

Mar 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, can you tell where this kind connectors can buy?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread