Clear Film On Screen

RLOH

Dec 10, 2005
I have two analog detectors(CZ6a and XL Pro) that have both acted up since putting a clear film on the screens to protect them from scratches. About an hour after using both detectors, the needles stick to the far right. The needles will release when I sweep over a new target, but within seconds they are right back to the far right. Could this film that I used be some kind of magnetic type? The package, that I threw away said the film was for pictures, sort of like for a photo album. If I did use some kind of magnetic film, how can I demagnetize the needles. I did remove the film from both detectors, but I didn't see anything happen just yet. R.L.

jblank37

May 13, 2006
Go to electronics store and purchase a can of anti-static spray. Spray the meter face along with the clear film. You should be in good shape. Hope this helps.

Friends, John

R

Rustbelt Rosie

Bingo, I think the previous poster nailed it- static. If it is film to protect pictures (archival plastic) it might be mylar that will conduct/hold a small static charge. Even a small amount of static will mess with the needles. I would suggest that you remove the film and if you feel like you need a cover, try something with a pvc content and don't lay it flat against the window. Don't think it's magnetic, and wouldn't do anything to degauss the unit, might cause you more problems. If taking the plastic off doesn't help, ring up the factory tech department and get their take on the problem. G'luck to ya!
HH,
Rustbelt Rosie

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easiest way to cure a static build up on glass or plastic is a (new) dryer sheet. Just rub it on the area until the static is gone.

Ed Donovan

OP
OP
R

RLOH

Dec 10, 2005
Took the film off and tried the dryer sheet trick and bingo, the needle works perfect. Thanks to all who replied. R.L.

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get your self some clear packing tape. lay a piece over each meter window, then trim for fit. easily replaceable. if it leaves a residue, use a mild aclohol to remove that residue.

i know this post is old, but, i use it on mine.....thought it would be interesting to re-hash this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread