Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a couple that are slightly cheaper but if I were you and can afford it, spend the extra for a good name brand with support and has a good track record.

swamptick

Dec 15, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A used Whites Bullseye might be a good option. I had one for a while and it worked just fine. Check out auction sites and classifieds. Good Luck

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you pinpoint very carefully you can get by without a pinpointer, but it definitely will speed up recovering your finds and makes it easier to find targets at depth. To answer your question, the best bet is to buy a used Propointer. You can keep a look out and find one under $70. Even if broke and under a year old, you can contact Garrett for repairs and just get charged the price for shipping it to them.

I will still occasionally go without using a pin pointer if my batteries go out or I am doing a quick, shallow recovery and don't want to bother getting mine out.

Jackalope

Jun 27, 2009
Oahu, HI
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can spend $125 on the waterproof Makro pinpointer. Perhaps you can find it used - seen it around for less.

I don't like the on-off button - so I just leave it on for 7 hours of hunting (I use rechargeable 9V li-ion batteries, they last long time) ... but I like it better than several other pinpointers (like the ML Propointer which tends to become erratic.)

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello , I'm 15 and I just bought the minelab x terra 305 . I think it would really help to have a pinpointer when I go hunting , but I don't really want to spend $120 on the garrett pro pointer . Is there any good ones but cheaper ? Thanks .

I can't believe nobody suggested the cheapest one available.

You can buy a pin pointer from harbor freight for $14.99 on when it's on sale ot $16.99 when it's not. It works well enough, I've been using for awhile now. If it breaks, and it will eventually, you can take it back and exchange it. For $16 you really can't beat it while you save for that pro pointer. Mine will be a loaner when I upgrade.

Click link here:
Metal Detector

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Buy the best quality you can afford. White and Garrett are both good quality, as are many other brands. Used can last just as long as new, if it has been taken care of. I would stay away from the cheaply made pinpointers, regardless of brand, unless you buy a few backups for when they break in the field. Check craigslist. Always several detectors for sale in my area.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet Jonathon.

If money is a problem, get a 'Zircon M40 Stud Finder' as a hand held pin pointer. It's easy to use- just point & pull the trigger.
I think I payed $29 for it.
It is designed to help woodworkers find the hidden nails that hold drywall panels the studs (frames) of walls.
Can be found at any hardware store. Zircon makes a few different models of stud finders, so be sure to go for the 'M40'.
Ive been using it for 4 years and It works well for me until I can get the "Pro Pointer".

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
Don't waste your money on a black Garrett pro pointer they have issues. Get a Deteknix if you want an affordable quality pinpointer. The orange AT propointer aka Garrett Carrot is a good quality water proof pointer and my personal choice for my kit right now. But if you want dirt cheap a dull screwdriver will work as a probe ;-)

rogueaviation

Apr 23, 2015
Grand Haven, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On that famous auction site, you can usually get a Whites Bullseye II for around $50. It's not waterproof, but you can adjust the sensitivity, and they work really well.

metaldetecta

Jun 10, 2013
Michigan Troll
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro and Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello , I'm 15 and I just bought the minelab x terra 305 . I think it would really help to have a pinpointer when I go hunting , but I don't really want to spend $120 on the garrett pro pointer . Is there any good ones but cheaper ? Thanks .

Buy the AT Propointer. It is very accurate and waterproof. Garrett always replaces my products for free even when they are not under warranty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread