Seek Thermal for I-phone as a metal detector?

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

DaytonaRacer

May 21, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV,
Fisher F22,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm... Interesting. I'll be curious to know what you find out.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We use thermal imaging cameras at work. I would say it may be possible to see a difference if the object was laying in plain sight on the surface because different objects will retain heat longer than others. That being said; shells, garbage, wet and dry areas etc also will have different temperatures. Also if the object is small it will not retain heat long. I do not believe you would be able to see a difference on a buried object at any depth as it will not have direct sun on it and everything would be basically the same temperature. A metal detector would be much more efficient.

ArizFlash

Sep 19, 2008
North Central WA
Detector(s) used
Whites - V3 i , MXT Pro, XLT, IDX
Fisher F70, Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless the coins & jewelry are in the sun they won't be any warmer than the sand.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tek...have you tried this yet. I have started a thread re: using this technique to find Pegleg's nuggets,
and I think it will work, even on the beach. If you have, which smart phone are you using?
B

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also an App to make smart phones into a metal detector - It doesn't work.

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tek...have you tried this yet. I have started a thread re: using this technique to find Pegleg's nuggets,
and I think it will work, even on the beach. If you have, which smart phone are you using?
B

I have not tried this yet, I have the I phone 6 and was looking for feedback before buying the attachment.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have worked with Thermal not infrared. Thermal works, but do not believe a coin sized target would show up well. Also gold an silver would be colder than the sand a show as a dark target. They would dissipate heat. Infrared works with light, and I do not believe a coin would send off any light in that spectrum. But good idea to explore. The cost of a Thermal camera would far out weight a top end detector. I once read about a treasure hunter who dunked his detector by accident, but was able to find the treasure with a compass. For coin hunting Ill stick with my good ol VLF detector. But, speaking of smart phones. I do believe there is a chip in there that acts like radar..........now that might be what your searching for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread