Leaving detector in car while at work

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does everyone do when your are not able to take your detector into work with you but want to have it available in case you get the opportunity to hunt somewhere on the way to or home from work.

I have a deus and i could take the main controller unit into work if needed but with the 3030 on the way im not sure since it has a screen.
Thanks

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
NOOOOOOO...

If its not made for temp extremes glue can melt, metal can expand/contract, etc. This can cause it to fail, etc. I wouldn't do it. I mean you could get lucky but I wouldn't do it with a CTX. I left my paddle board paddle in my car a few weeks ago and when I went to get it out it came apart because the glue must have melted and metal expanded while in the car. It was an easy fix but this was a paddle...I wouldn't want to see what a hot car can do to my detector.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOOOOOOO...

If its not made for temp extremes glue can melt, metal can expand/contract, etc. This can cause it to fail, etc. I wouldn't do it. I mean you could get lucky but I wouldn't do it with a CTX. I left my paddle board paddle in my car a few weeks ago and when I went to get it out it came apart because the glue must have melted and metal expanded while in the car. It was an easy fix but this was a paddle...I wouldn't want to see what a hot car can do to my detector.

NOOOOOOO...
NOOOOOOO...
NOOOOOOO...what he said!!

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a recommended practice but people do it all the time. Cars can get 130 degrees inside when left in the sun. Batteries don't like that kind of heat and could leak. I don't like to do that with mine.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
babu-finger-wag1-1 tisk tisk.gif

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think it was a good idea but wanted opinions lol

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont plan on having to leave them in the car. I just wanted input and thought on it. Think ill do some research to see what the actual inside temp reaches compared tot he ambient temp.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an average of a couple tests i did in a couple different ambient temps. 10 min rose 19°, 20 min rose 29°, 30 min rose 34°, 40 min rose 38°, 50 min rose 41°, 60 min rose, Around 2 hours rose 45°-50°.

This was in a range of 85°-95° ambient temp. There were times during the day that the inside temp was at 160°

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I have black truck/tinted windows. Leave windows cracked to vent heat, cover detector with padded moving blanket, try to park in shade. There is a noticable temp difference between Gatoraid under vs on top of the blanket after a full day parked in the sun.

I would always cover them at a minimum.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forgot to mention this was in my work truck. 05 ex cab canyon. White color, windows are not tinted and windows not left cracked. Not parked in shade.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do it only in the winter months when inside truck temps may only get into 80-90's but not in the summer.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI, If detector has an LED screen there is good chance it will cause it to leak...

Trump 2016!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thought that was against the rules

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff it is signature....

Trump 2016!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an extended cab truck and have my detector in it all the time.
but I do leave the windows down when it's hot

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...because the trucks transporting/delivering them are climate controlled?
I never like leaving batteries in cars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread