Tylerderden66

Greenie
Jan 13, 2017
NC
Detector(s) used
Older one just broke time for anew one!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all I'm new to the forum but have been treasure hunting for 40 years about 15 years ago my wife bought me a whites metal detector which I had a bunch of fun with but unfortunately due to circumstances didn't get to use enough we moved and I had some surgery and it sat with batteries in it clearly is a Bad idea. The battery container got damaged and I'm not sure if the unit itself works so my question is can you rebuild the battery packs or get new ones?

Right now I'm on a budget and I saw on eBay Electronic build kits is it possible to take one of those kits and use my existing coil? I'm ready to get back into it but right now I have to do it on the cheap and just looking for some suggestions I do have some electronics experience I'm very good at soldering and go to building stuff. Any suggestions would be great thanks a lot

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tyler, which detector is it? (some of the older Whites were great machines!)

As for repair, I would give Whites a call and see what they have to say. From
what I hear they're great people to work with.

OP
OP
T

Tylerderden66

Greenie
Jan 13, 2017
NC
Detector(s) used
Older one just broke time for anew one!
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It Is a classic 1 probably 15yrs old

chowder

Nov 3, 2013
Western New York
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and White's MXT Pro
Does the battery pack have a model number on it? Something like a blue sticker that states battery holder #802-7150.

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check on Whites web site, or with a Whites dealer. I have a Whites 6000Di I bought in 1984 and they still sell the battery pack for it.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let your fingers do the walking! Check some of the parts houses for the holder! The Whites battery holders aren't custom or anything. Whites will charge you the premium price vs. Going to a parts house and buying the same thing for $1.00. The place down the street from me has several different ones for under $2 and they are thicker in the corners where the originals supplied by Whites would crack off. Another example Whites meter for a TM808 $26.95 ("They have overhead") oh! plus shipping! Parts house $7.95 exact same meter except a black on white meter face instead of the yellow on red. cut the wires solder on the new meter = 15 minutes plug in the board & good to go. You should be able to fix the old machine up for next to nothing with a little Googling

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's a 12 volt pack you can replace it with a 8 AA battery back for less than $10. You can use rechargeables in it too if you like. Does it have a 9 volt size battery connector? I have used my old 5000/D with a single 9 volt battery also and it still works just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread