Makro racer

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
It does the best of all my detectors in an air test on a quarter: 10" with 5" coil, 12" with 5.5x9, 14" with 7x11 coil, & 18" with 15x17 coil. This is in 2 tone that has modulated audio, with disc about 50 or so to knock out iron. In 3 tone, a couple inches less, but full volume.

On some detectors, if a coin is too close to the coil, there is no sound, but on the Red Racer there is a very loud overload beep.

The discriminator goes way up, so if at a new place loaded with quarters, one could choose to make dimes silent, while still getting loud quarter signals from several inches deep.

The detector is comfortable to swing, with a weight of about 3 pounds with stock coil.

As for negatives, too many things ID as 82, zincs & trash. However, it seems after centering an 82, if I sweep the coil just ever so slightly closer to me, some trash like rusting bottle caps gives a doubled or broken sound.

Wen set to accept only 83+, just about everything should be copper, clad, or silver, great for cherry-picking.

I don't like it real well that all adjustments are selected from a 1 page menu, as the print is tiny, and to someone who doesn't have perfect vision, which item is circled as selected is also hard to see. Then, when a number is selected for disc, sensitivity, etc, it immediately goes back to search mode. So if I one wants to try another number, then one has to scroll down again. The numerical ID or setting number is large.

The Red Racer on a You Tube video is shown as going deeper in highly mineralized VA ground than many other single frequency detectors.

They lowered the MSRP to $499 w/stock coil. Many are selling them used for around $350. Considering the 14" air test on a quarter, seems like a pretty good deal. 2 year warranty on new ones. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread