Attachments

• DEUS Gift Certificate Ad.jpg
    DEUS Gift Certificate Ad.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 112

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like an app that makes my phone a spectrum analyzer. That would make detecting into a whole new dimension. Bluetooth would be the way to go.
Mock me, but I have a background in electronic warfare. You could almost tell the metal composition before you dig it. And that would be extremely helpful.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I meant a wifi Detector where your coil and shaft were the only piece of detector hardware you would need. They have a built in wifi network that sends the information to an app on your phone. No lag like Bluetooth, you could theoretically use it underwater because the signal should still transmit well. It would be small enough to truly fit in a backpack.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant a wifi Detector where your coil and shaft were the only piece of detector hardware you would need. They have a built in wifi network that sends the information to an app on your phone. No lag like Bluetooth, you could theoretically use it underwater because the signal should still transmit well. It would be small enough to truly fit in a backpack.

Been discussed, but the app software would be a nightmare. Two major OS's to support, with both constantly changing. OTOH, it could obsolete detectors much quicker. In 5 years you would have to buy a new detector because the old one only worked with your Z-phone, and your Z-phone died.

And, no, wifi doesn't work under water, and still has lag.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been discussed, but the app software would be a nightmare. Two major OS's to support, with both constantly changing. OTOH, it could obsolete detectors much quicker. In 5 years you would have to buy a new detector because the old one only worked with your Z-phone, and your Z-phone died.

And, no, wifi doesn't work under water, and still has lag.

You really would only need to support IOs and Android, it wouldn’t be phone specific at all, just operating systems. But yea they do change rapidly. However I’m pretty sure the newer 5ghz wifi works from 3-7 feet from transmitter to receiver. I read that when reading about some fishing finder electronics stuff, but can’t find the article now. Lag would be present but would still be better non-LL Bluetooth headphones, so permissible.
It will happen sooner or later. Maybe not wifi but something else. Shall be interesting.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's already happened. Grab a Minelab Go-Find, it has a phone app that reports both audio and display info. Horrible lag.

OP
OP
W

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haha Go find has no where near the capability of what is being discussed here.

gsignal888

Greenie
Aug 13, 2018
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, DIY TGSL, Tesoro soon (which model TBA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is bluetooth 4.1 aptX, then you won't notice any lag.

Brruce

Tenderfoot
Jul 12, 2018
Naperville IL
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine all those cool places you could't detect before when you have coils in the soles of your shoes and results showing up on your phone. :-)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why would anyone want all that crap?
Yeah, I can see it now........... Every time you try to pinpoint you're interrupted by some political scam wanting money or someone looking for Pedro....... How many of us go out to swing to get away from all the electronic fuzz we're subjected to?

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Short answer: When the IRS requests it!

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about wifi, but there is a bluetooth detector coil that is controlled from your phone. It's called the Air Metal Detector I can't say if it's worth a crap or not, but someone did it.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about wifi, but there is a bluetooth detector coil that is controlled from your phone. It's called the(deleted by mod for rule violation) I can't say if it's worth a crap or not, but someone did it.

Hound your new here and most likely do not know, we do not allow posting links of non supporting vendor sites.

hound

Sep 19, 2018
KY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hound your new here and most likely do not know, we do not allow posting links of non supporting vendor sites.

Apologies, I didn't notice in the rules that it wasn't allowed at all, just that it wasn't allowed in vendor specific sections. I'm also not affiliated or advertising for them. I just saw it a couple of days ago as a detector coil that uses a phone as a controller and posted it as it's relevant to a technical topic. Which rule is that?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apologies, I didn't notice in the rules that it wasn't allowed at all, just that it wasn't allowed in vendor specific sections. I'm also not affiliated or advertising for them. I just saw it a couple of days ago as a detector coil that uses a phone as a controller and posted it as it's relevant to a technical topic. Which rule is that?

Your new here and your fine. We do not allow hot links or naming detecting vendors that are not supporting vendors. As example links to Joe's detector shop would not be allowed since he is not a supporting vendor.

haxor

Aug 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd want as LITTLE as possible EMI/RF going on near my coil. WiFi has a hella reach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread