new to hobby BOUGHT A GARETT 2500

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
The 2500 is a cadillac among detectors.It does have a lenthy learning curve if you are new.But if you keep going back to the manual and use,use,use it, it will find anything and everything in the ground at depth that is hard for others to match.

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
I have a Garrett GTI2500. It is my first and only detector so far and I have had it for a little over 4 years. I feel the best way to get used to your detector is to get it outside and practice. I never set up a test garden (although if you can I would recommend it). Instead I just started swinging and digging. As Warsawdaddy said read the manual and if you have it, watch the video. Take your time. Initially you will probably dig a lot of trash but in time the goodies will start to appear and with more frequency as you become more familiar with your machine. I mostly keep mine in "jewelry mode" since I generally hunt parks and schools. Keep in mind that despite the claim the discrimination is like "seeing in the ground" no machine is foolproof. The "depth" and "size" are usually pretty accurate although they too can be quirky sometimes. The pinpointing, if used appropriately is also fairly precise although multiple targets below the coil, the "halo affect" some targets give off and in my case sheer laziness or impatience can leave a nice gouge or scratch (cringe) on an otherwise lovely coin. The GTI2500 is an overall sensitive and rugged machine but is only as good as it's user. The more time you spend with it the better you will get. Good luck and HH.

P.S. Most of the gold rings I have found have read in between "nickle" and a couple notches above "pulltab".

Also, welcome to the hobby and this forum. If you take the time to read, there is a wealth of information on this forum that will help you go from a beginner to a seasoned pro in much less time than you would otherwise on your own.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nedigger, did you catch my post on the GPI 2500 regarding the two quarters and dime I found just under the surface? As you described my machine wouldn't lock in on them and was giving off all kinds of weird information plus the halo effect depending on how close I was to the target. At least now I know when that happens to suspect a target right at the surface. I have noticed pretty much the same effect with my ACE 250 and my BH Land Ranger, so I guess it is not an uncommon occurance. Garret is advertising the 2500 as if it were a brand new detector on the market and I bought mine thinking it was. I was told by someone, can't remember who that the 2500 had some new or slightly different chips and they added the nomenclature to make it a GPI 2500 Pro ? Stoney 56 is sending me an old test report from one of the Treasure magazines from 1999. Perhaps I can sort it out if there is any difference? JIM

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello, & Welcome to the forum!
Can't tell ya anything about the Garett but, it looks like these Gentlemen have ya covered...
It's not what machine ya got,,, it's how ya use it... ;D
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread