AT Max - Deeper coil? Nel Storm? Thunder? Or other?

NoVaRelics

Greenie
Jun 30, 2018
Leesburg VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted this in the Brands forum and have had no response. Hope to find someone out there with some advice.
I have been at it for about a year now and use a Garrett AT MAX. I have had good luck with it thus far, obviously it could always be better. I've primarily used the stock coil, and at times the Garrett 5x8. So here's my dilemma, I have a couple permissions, each with both civil war and colonial history. They have been hunted by others in the past and my finds have been limited. My new plan for success on these properties is to go deeper than the others have gone. One properties is trashy with a lot of deep steel, shotgun shell heads etc., the other is not, both consist of open field and wooded areas.
I have read reviews on Nel, CORS, etc., all of which state I can get a fee more inches. I've read posts that review each as well. I think I've narrowed it down to Nel but what I would like to see is a comparison of the Storm vs Thunder and more importantly has anyone used both and can recommend one over the other.....And why? Thanks for any guidance/recommendations.

Last edited:

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had experience with and "tested" the CORS versions of Strike (same as tornado) and Cannon (same as Thunder) with AT Pro and AT Max. Have not had the Detonation (same as Storm). I had the first Cannon in the US and wasn't really impressed in the "gains" air testing, nor in the ground. The search field seemed shaped like a concentric triangular pattern, if referring to it from the side view. It was actually easier to miss a target than when using the stock coil. Not sure if it's the norm, but thats how it was on mine. Depth gain was negligible, disappointing and actually less depth on a silver dime. The Strike gives 1.25 to 2.25" gain over the stock coil and has a nicely uniform search field, like a half circle, much easier to hit a target than with that Cannon. The Strike is my favorite water and field hunting coil, hardly any more weight than stock (I don't use coil covers, ever). Separation suffers slightly due to the size, but it's not too bad and not to concerning for big areas. Have also used the scout (same as hunter) which doesn't offer much, if any depth vs stock, but you'll likely never break a coil mount/tab (why i like). I see maybe .5 to .75 more depth with scout vs stock on a silver dime and quarter, most clad is identical depth (*air). I guess you get a slightly longer "swath" or "wipe" when swinging. The Storm was just one size too big for what I ever need. For reference, modern nickel, air test, solid hit, max sens, At Max, Cors Strike gets 16" in custom no discrim and 18" in all metal max sens. Stock coil with nickel gets 14.5 and 15.75" all metal

OP
OP
N

NoVaRelics

Greenie
Jun 30, 2018
Leesburg VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the data points, this will help in making a final decision. I have read the reviews on all 3 coils you mention and surprisingly your results contradict the reviews. It's nice to have a real users perspective on this.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may revisit the Cannon option soon, cuz I do like that size and footprint/shape. When I had one, it was stated that the At Pro model was fine to use with an AT Max. A couple months later, they came out with a Max specific model for some reason, unsure if any actual differences. I do know that an At pro Scout coil i used on a Max started getting really flaky and unstable after just a couple uses, then got a Max specific one and had zero issues.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Quick review rc2125! :occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
NEL Storm. It's a great coil.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a follow-up post from when I said I was going to revisit trying an At Max specific Cors Cannon again. Ordered one after posting (arrives next day from the place), got it this morning, and....

same results as with the first one, I'll stick with my Strike for certain. Again, on dimes, the Cannon gets 1/4"-1/2" Less distance on either dime versus the stock 8.5x11 coil, same as when i tested the first one. Same center stronger search coil field (had to be centered to hit further out). Gets an 1 1/4" more distance with a clad quarter and only 1/2" more on clad nickel. For it's size and weight, hardly worth it, other than getting a longer swath i suppose. This was max sens, custom no discrim, ground balanced to my ground, no interference. All metal with a quarter added just about an inch and on a nickel it added only 1 1/8" more distance. Air tests, for what thats worth. Sent it back for return.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I forgot, its hard to keep track of it all... originally I had a Scout coil for ATP which i used on AT Max. Revisited the Scout today, an AT Max specific one now, which does show an improvement over the stock coil of at least an inch on all clad and silver coins tested versus stock 8.5x11, gets +2" in all metal vs custom no discrim. 15" totally repeatable on nickel in custom no discrim max sens, 17" all metal.
Here is a link to the picture of my very crude and quick depth recordings board https://i.imgur.com/IepYjPr.jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigger coils lose. depth on smaller targetz dont use them. in trashy areas will pick up everytbing it will sound like r2d2 shorted out under water

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions