How to Make a Battery Pod

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Floater If you are gitting into battery packs try your local hobby store. I use to race a lot of Remote control cars and they have the best batteries you can get. They are making C cells now that go up to 2600 ma. Rod is correct your charger will charge your batteries. I have a charger that was made for RC cars that is programable for the number of cells and there Ma. rating. You can also charge at the # of amps you want (fast or slow charge) and it will shut off at the peak (just as the voltage starts to drop back). The other cool thing is that most are made to run off of your12v car battery so you can charge in the field. I use mine to charge the batteries for all of my detectors.

OP
OP
F

Floater

Thanks Swingmydfx, If you could post that charger type and or make that would be gret. I have looked at that but I just wanted to make sure that the pod i make would also be charged by the factory charger as well as the pod being made directly for the Excal. I did go to a Battery store where all they sell is batterys but didnt think of an RC outlet. Good Idea. Thanks for Posting and looking forward to that info. I still havent finshed the Pod completely still testing the batterys adn out puts. Thanks Again.
HH

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Damn! Floater Im impressed! The two most technical, educated, and informative posts ever! Glad to know you and it must be raining like hell in fla lately to get you out of the dirt and onto the keyboard this much. My guess you got a pvt pilot lic also..

OP
OP
F

Floater

No I wish, Still thinkin about it though. Have a few friends with em though and I fly so often that it gets crazy. My job keeps me moving between Baltimore,LA, Orlando Ft. Lauderdale and Park City. Utah. Am considering an ultralight though. I just need to convince the other half i wont kill myself. LOL This is always the argument with whatever I do. She doesnt want the Insurance Money,so she says. LOL
I know where i would fly first though and I know you know. ;) Later.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Floater here is a picture of the charger I use. There are many others it should be able to put a full charge on your pack in less than a hour.

Attachments

• Img_0846.jpg
    Img_0846.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 421
OP
OP
F

Floater

Nice, Whats that going to set me back Swinginmydfx ?

Tintin

Jan 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
EXCALIBUR 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
;D

Hello Floater

So, since April, what happened ? Did you go underwater ?
Is-it working as expected ?
Have you modify something ?

more questions :

At the biginning of the post, you say you have to achieve 14v? ???
The cells are 1.2x10=12v, like the sovereign, right ? not 14v.

At Ikelite.com, wich reference is the one you are using ?
http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/ics_conn.html

I have noticed that you forget to answer to those questions from Lee :? ?:P

How did you heat the Plexiglas?
Did you just rest in on the wood block and hit it with the heat or do you have to help it along with your hands?
How hot do you have to get it to bend nice like that without cracking?

(because I would like to know, also....)

Thanks

Tintin

;)

O

ozzysdad

Hey, Floater

I like your pod, as for charging especially when your out away from the house, Why not get a solar cell to charge an extra pod while your MDing, also i found a really cool place to get almost anything you need from Nicad's to solar charger, to you name it..... It's called American Science & Surplus.

http://www.sciplus.com

Go there, and sign up, they will send you a free catalog every month of some pretty cool stuff.

OP
OP
F

Floater

Hey Tin Tin and OzzysDad Thanks for the tips and I will post some more, this project just got to the back burner for a while. I will update it this weekend. Thanks for the Website and I think I have been there before but it is a great site. Thanks guys
David

D

Darod

Dave,

You made a comment on the mah rating on the excal oem batteries as being 650-800 or something. Not sure we were talking about the same rating.

Perhaps you thought I was saying you could add batteries and make the "ma" rating higher! That is NOT what I was suggesting!

I was suggesting adding batteries to the pack and rasing the "mah" rating! The "mah" rating deals with how long the battery will last. It has nothing to do with the altering the actual output voltage in terms of amperage! I think this is where we got eachother sorta confused on my statement and your response.

In other words, you can make a 6v battery as big as your house or as big as a penny. They both put out 6v,.....but :) I think the one as big as your house would last just a bit longer,....don't you :)

This,.....was my suggestion. NO, :) I'm not saying you should make it as big as you house! :o
However, if your using a hip mount like the one I designed in the past and sent ya, weight wouldn't be so much of an issue would it :)

Rod

OP
OP
F

Floater

Michigan Badger said:
Hey Floater, why not forget the battery thing and mount one of those crank power deals on the Ex-Cal ?

You know, like they put into those tape players they send to the heathen.

This way we wouldn't need any batteries at all! Just turn the crank and spank spank!

This would work out all the way A-round cause when the wife is feelin a little cranky I could take her THing with me 8)

Give this some serious thought.

badger

ROFL your killing me Badger . That is way to real. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread