Detectors, Detectors, Detectors, what to buy?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hmmm........ If I lived in New York(what better place for old coins) and wanted to dig old colonial coins what would I choose? Had a budget of $800? USED EX 11 or XS with 15" WOT coil(You do want to dig colonial and seated coins 8"to 12"?) The link below shows you what another guy from New York is using and finding.
http://groups.msn.com/MinelabExplorerXSusers/wotcoiltips.msnw

It requires a long learning curve and the patience to learn to use it correctly. You would need a harness or swingy thing for the weight. Take a look at the finds on any Explorer forum.

George

tehya

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2005
Hi MUD

I thought I would throw my 2 bits in the mix, I have owned alot of detectors and liked using all of them. ?I enjoy the learning curve, so here is one persons opinion, but I would like to point out that everybody is different and will like or dislike each machine based on a wide matrix of reasons. ?Gold nuggets fall into about the same catagory as foil.

MXT. Good multi purpose machine, you can use it for coin shooting and prospecting, but it has some masking issues with the standard 9" coil. ?Good targets can be hidden by layers of trash targets.

XLT. Great coin shooter and there is a wealth of information and custom programs on the net to load to make it a super coin and jewerly shooter, has a fast target ID, but acts up when you get into higher minerialized soil, thus it is not a good prospecting machine because nuggets are found in areas of high minerialization.

IDX Pro. Modified with a Low/High SAT switch, manual ground balance adjustment, threshold adjustment, and circut boost is by far the best coin shooter I have used in high trash areas. The best place to find goodies is where people gather and they leave alot of trash along with the good stuff.

DFX. Can be adjusted to the point where you get tired of doing it. Likes a fast sweep speed and can hold its own with any machine on the market. ?It is best on coins and jewerly, it can find nuggets of 15 grain size but only up to 2 - 3 inches in low to medium soil.

CoinStrike. One of the best coin machines I have ever used in high trash areas up to medium minerialized soil, but the learning curve will have you taking up bad habits, you can expect to put in 50 hours before the light comes on.

GTI 2500. Good machine, learning curve is not that bad, I like the treasure imiaging but not the treasure talk. ?I could never find a coin past the 6" mark, other people love it and have found coins up to 12"

Explorer XS or 2 not alot of difference, the 2 has faster software, but it is still a swing it low and slow machine. ?I have found some of my oldest and deepest coins with the explorers, but you are not going to cover alot of ground in a days hunt. Best used for coins and jewerly, not good for nugget hunting.

I guess it comes down to what kind of hunting you are going to do, I feel that no one machine can do it all. I prefer to have a good coin machine and a good nugget machine. The best coin machine is the one that you feel the most comfortable with, the best nugget machine is going to be the best ?Pulse Induction machine that you can afford, a good used one will cost around $900.00. ?The PI machines ignore the high minerialization soil, but are not good coin shooters.

To answer your question on which machine between the MXT and the XLT I would have to say if you want to do coin, jewerly, and nugget hunting then go with the MXT, if you are only going to hunt for coins and jewerly then the XLT, or better yet spend half the money and buy an IDX Pro and have it modified.

TB

R

rvbvetter

? ? ?XLT OR MXT?

? ? ? Thats easy; ? ? ? ?

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? EXP

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? HH

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
? ? ?Haven't made up your mind yet? Try them both out if you can. Both have pros and cons. Someone tells you different they are not being honest. But if you don't mind not having a depth reading and like a silent search rather than a threshold check out Whites IDX Pro. Will save you some money you could spend on an extra coil or head phones or ? If not for nugget shooting that's the detector I'd own. Do yourself a favor and at least check out the IDX Pro. Go to all the detector forums and use the search to find posts about the IDX.
? ? ?And like tehya says, IDX Pro with MR. Bills mods is hard to beat on coins and jewelry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread