Detectors, Detectors, Detectors, what to buy?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hooked on MDing now with just 5 weeks with my Bounty Hunter I am ready to upgrade. I am looking at the Whites MXT or XLT. Am I going the right way ? What one is best? Is there a better one for the same price? I know we have so many makers and dealers. What do you think is the best for someone who wants to go pro?

HH!!

Attachments

• happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 579
  • question.jpg
    question.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 530
  • happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 539
  • question.jpg
    question.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 534
P

Pooley

That depends on how much money you are willing to spend on one and how serious you are about treasure hunting. You live in a good area for metal detecting, lots of history in upstate NY and lots of places to go. Personally, I do not see myself spending over $500 for a machine that I would not be using every single day. Just my 2 cents. Go with what you can afford

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking to spend around $800.00 + (MXT/XLT price range) I love MDing and would spend more if i had it.

P

Pooley

For 800 bucks you could get 2 nice detectors. Something to think about, its nice having a spare detector in case yours goes down or you could let a friend use it.

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to keep the Bounty Hunter for the spare.

Thanks,
HH!!

P

PrizmIV

it depends if u like the classic whites knobes go with da mxt. if u like high teck digital buttons go with da xlt.

SugarSand

May 4, 2005
Iowa
Never used the MXT, but if you like learning things to get the most out of your unit, and tweaking settings, go with the XLT. It's been great for me and I've had mine almost exactly 6 years, got it the Friday before Memorial Day weekend in 1999! Happy 6th to my XLT, and still on the original batts without failure! :) I never doubt it's finding what's there, but sometimes I doubt myself LOL. My Dad has an XLT and got the DFX too, and says the XLT goes deeper than the new one too. Can you tell I LOVE my XLT???

TOWcritter

I have an MXT and it was my 1st machine. I have been detecting for about 6 months now. I think I chose the right detector partly because I researched for a while and secondly, I think it just plain looks good. Very professional looking. It works well in all 3 modes and the learning curve isn't that steep like a DFX. If you can get a test drive with one then it will be easier for you to make a decision. It's a top notch machine that I plan on having for a long, long time. Good luck with your decision.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are thinking of spending upwards of $800 for a detector, why not spend an extra $79 and get a White's DFX and get the dual frequency machine. I have two and paid $879 for both of them and the dealer threw in a soft carrying case, a Bullseye pinpointer, Jimmy Sierra's book on the DFX. The "suggested" retail is $1099 on the unit, but I have seen multiple dealers sell it for 20% off retail. Just have to check around. I got both of mine from a dealer in a north Dallas/Ft. Worth suburb, but as far as I know they do not sell online. Good Luck & HH
Minnesota Butch

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
? ? ?I bought the MXT. That's because I plan on doing some nugget shooting. I like it alot for just coin shooting too. BUT, in my soil the VDI is not real accurate beyond 4 inches. I'll be buying a DD coil in hopes that might improve. I dig all good positive signals anyway so it's no big deal. The MXT runs at a higher frequency making it more sensitive to lower conductive targets like small gold jewelry and nickels. And small gold nuggets. AND little teeny pieces of foil and aluminum. There's always a trade off.
? ? The XLT has a very accurate VDI. Has a backlight and has been around for some time now attesting to it's reliability. Alot of people own them and a lot of people love them. It has turn on and go as well as custom programs you can tweek for just your situation. And will probably be the least expensive. I said PROBABLY.
? ? ?The DFX is the cream of the crop. Turn on and go capabilities but a steeper learning curve for the custom programs. Buy this one and you'll probably never need another detector. I said PROBABLY. A duel frequency detector but a DFX owner will have to explain the advantages of that. I just don't know.
? ? ?All three are very good machines. The fact of the matter is there is no one perfect metal detector. There are always pros and cons. Lots of people will tell you the machine they have is THE best. It makes them feel good but is just not the truth. It may be the best for them but might not be the best for you. You have to do the research, try some out if you can, and decide which is best for YOU.
? ? ?These are just my opinions. I'm sure other people will have differing opinions. And we're all right. ;D

Detecting Fool

Jan 9, 2005
Stillwater, NY - Home of the Battle of Saratoga
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore starting June 2023
Minelab Equinox 800
Prior to 2020 - Whites VX3, XLT, Spectrum XLT, 6000di and 1DB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MUD,

I just ordered an XLT from KellyCo. They are having a sale on XLTs with the recharge system, bullseye pinpointer and headphones, as well as some books and videos included. The price I paid was $749.95, plus I requested second day delivery (should be here tomorrow). Local dealers were alot more. Call them. See what they can do. I spoke with a very nice lady named Bonnie. If you get her tell I sent you.

Anthony

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, and thank you for your replies. I have to study the information you guys gave to me and make my decision accordingly. I want this post to stick around for other users and myself. So keep the replies comming, thanks again.

HH!!

Attachments

• happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 491
  • happy.jpg
    happy.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 441

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I went online and got copies of the manuals for nearly all the ones in that price range. I wound up kinda' going against the grain and got a Garrett GPI 2500 Pro. It has all the features I wanted plus a few extras and the learning curve isn't as difficult as some of the others. So far I have just been coin shooting, learning the ropes and letting the machine teach me. I like all I know about it to date. Take your time and check them all out thoroughly. JIM

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? ?OK? ?I'll give you the unscientific approach. Which frankly i use as part of my process in determining which one to purchase. And that is;? Which one appeals to me. Which one has the color i like. Or maybe the name i like. Or just the look i like. I'm probably going to get slammed for this. I just hope they read farther first and see where i'm heading.
? ? I do the same on my cars as well as other purchases. But i want to stress that it is combined with the information i've gathered about it's quality of manufacture, of reliability and performance.
? A car can look good, but if it's on the side of the road..........
? ? Just don't buy Daves magic treasure finding wand unless you feel confident in the info you've gathered, backs up it's claim.
? ? ?Besides i like the look of cindys crystal treasure finding pyramid better anyway. HH

doglicenseorg

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa USA
I bought a detector from Wal Mart, because I knew I wouldn't go digging very often and wanted to minimize any losses. An 80 yr old club member friend of mine recommended the Bounty Hunter (He used Whites and Garretts though so his reccomendation was impressive) I love the detector and I took it to Aruba recently and found American and Aruban coins on the beach .

I bought the highest end one that was sold there ($200?) and I love it. I like its lightweight size, discrimination factor and simplicity. It has not ever let me down. Since then, I bought a pinpointer for those tricky mud clods with secret treasure buried within.

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
I started out with a White's QXT and found some pretty good stuff with it, but I always dreamed of getting the DFX. I finally picked one up on ebay for about $800. It was every thing I thought it would be. It is so versatile and can be tweaked so many ways to do so many things. I'll never regret buying it. Dfxdude had a good idea, if you can haggle with a dealer and get 20 % off, that is a terrific deal.

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) I've upgraded twice in the last few months...........first from Classic SL to Classic III....... Then from Classic III to XLT........ I love all of them, but as far as a machine that will grow with you. I feel XLT is the way to go. I can't imagine needing to upgrade again for a quite some time........the programability of the XLT is a bit confusing at first, but after you figure out what each feature does. The possibilities are endless.....you can tweak and adjust with great precision. You really can't go wrong with a white's........ Not knocking other brands, but White's is the best made.................just one MD'er opinion. ;)

OP
OP
MUD(S.W.A.T)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This should always be in the top 10 I think...lol Jking :'( Anyway its almost time for me to get my new detector so again I ask what is better XLT or MXT?

Keep @ it and HH!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread