New XLT and ground balancing

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
I have a relatively new White's XLT. I got it in Feb. of this year. I am new at metal detecting. OK, I live in VA and have been told that the soil here is terrible on detecting. I can hardly ever get my XLT to ground balance. I have tried using the factory programs and even tried to create programs with no success. I have sent the original coil back to Kellyco and got a new on, no success. I have problems ground balancing in my front yard and almost everywhere I go. I have a friend that I have been learning from and he's been alot of help. He has a much older White's XLT Spectrum. I did use his coil and my new machine seems to ground balance with his coil. Any idea's? Maybe a totally new machine altogether? Maybe just a new state to live in, :D. Thanks for all the help.

Gary

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary,
Have you called us and talked to a sales guy? The best bet would be call and talk to Tony. He will be able to tell you what your best option. Please let me know if I can help!
Thank you,
KellycoChick

OP
OP
sndman60

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
Thanks for replying. I have spoken to Tony, he is an exceptional associate and very knowledgeable. He was the one, as always from now on, that has helped me with this. He sent me the new coil. The plan for this weekend is to go out detecting with my friend and follow him while he uses his old XLT and I with the new machine. I plan to do alot of troubleshooting this weekend. I may not be a long time Detector user, but, being retired Aviation I do have a very technical background and I think I can really do alot more troubleshooting. It may turn out that the ground on which I am detecting is so full of junk that it's nearly impossible to balance to. But I will call Tony next week and talk further with him about this. Kellycochick, has anyone else from this particular had any issues like this? BTW I do live on the VA Peninsula. Thanks again.

Gary

Kellyco

Oct 10, 2007
Winter Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
Everything in Kellyco's Showroom!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary,
I am glad that you have spoken to Tony. He is definitely a top of the line sales guy. He will be able to help you out with things a lot more than I can. I have not heard about this problem with any other people. If there is anything I can help with, please let me know!
Thank you,
KellycoChick

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
do you waist level air balance before you ground balance?

OP
OP
sndman60

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
I always air balance the machine before I ground balance. When I noticed I was having an issue I thought it might be the custom program my friend help me put in the machine when I first got it. Then I just used one of the factory programs. Still after the initial air balance the ground balance result states it is returning settings back to the factory settings even when I use the factory settings. This weekend my friend and I went out detecting and to try and troubleshoot my machine. Well we started off by setting both machines to the same configuration. My machine didn't ground balance, I got the error multi-beep. The first thing we found was a tin foil signal and with his XLT Spectrum he got a strong signal that indicated it was most likely tin foil. My machine wouldn't pick it up at all. I changed my coil over to his extra, old XLT coil. I got the same signal with no problem. Now keep in mind Tony has changed out my original factory coil for me last week with a new coil the same as the one that came with my XLT. He dug the target and, yep, sure enough a piece of scrap metal. I reinstalled my coil and continued to check things out. He got another great signal pinging around 48-54. He also uses an XLT but it's about 10 years older than mine. He called me over and my machine wouldn't pick it up at all. He dug it and it was a three ring bullet about 8 - 10 inches down. Now for a real heart breaker. He was walking behind me as we were checking the plowed rows. I had to leave around noon and right after I left he called me to tell me what he had just found. He said he got a very weak signal and it was very close to where I had found a nice button. My button was only about three inches down. It's a nice general service Eagle button with "Waterbury Button O" on the reverse. He told me had had in his hand a VA Halfpenny dated 1773. Of course I called BS. This morning, I saw it and held it in my hand. Oh what a find!!! Oh what a feeling!!! Oh what a miss!!! Either I am not doing something right , doing something wrong, or my machine isn't functioning properly. Either way, I need some help, ;D ???. I will definitely call Tony today, he is the go to guy. Because of Tony, Kellyco has a customer that will keep coming back. Kellycochick, do pass on my satisfaction with Tony and many thanks for all he has done so far, as I will later today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread