signal dissapears

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
sounds like a "false hit" I get those when the surf hits my coil just so, or if hunting land when my coil brushes a live plant. What I do before digging is to go over the spot again to see if the hit is repeatable. (make sure you aren't brushing against the same plant!) Also, I get sometimes a "consistant false hit" it is a hit that repeats, but not in the exact same place just the general area and it comes and goes, I ignore these too even though they may be a coin or ring on edge.(it usually isn't) Good Hunting! omnicognic 8)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Sometimes it's a small piece of foil that sounds off and when dug, it gets balled up or loses it's halo effect. Other times it's a piece of metal that has completely dissolved or rusted away but still has the halo effect and the detector sees all the tiny bits of residue as solid. When disturbed, it just becomes part of the soil. JMPO. stoney56

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several things May be going on.

? ?#1 it was a False Signal, Due to a Rusty Piece of Metal, that Disintigrated as you Dug, or Iron ore.

? ? ?#2 You Displaced it, from the hole.

? ? ?#3 ?You need to Practice your Pinpointing.

? ? #4 You don't have your settings right and are getting False Signals.

? ? #5 You Broke the Halo while Digging And it is still there, but Less Likely to give a signal.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone gets them, signals that when dug produce no actual find. Follow all the good tips given and learn to recognize situations where they may occur. I definitely look for halos and always mark targets multiple times.

Ed

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
jeff of pa said:
Several things May be going on.

? ?#1 it was a False Signal, Due to a Rusty Piece of Metal, that Disintigrated as you Dug, or Iron ore.

? ? ?#2 You Displaced it, from the hole.

? ? ?#3 ?You need to Practice your Pinpointing.

? ? #4 You don't have your settings right and are getting False Signals.

? ? #5 You Broke the Halo while Digging And it is still there, but Less Likely to give a signal.

Any of these could be the reason,,, I was going to suggest #5... I just dug a Barber dime last week, it give a good solid signal until I removed the plug,, then when I re-checked the hole and the plug, nothing, the signal was gone... My cousin who got me into detecting has told me before about some silver dime signals seem to disappear when the Halo has been disturbed. or broken, as we say.
This was the case here, I dug a little deeper, just a half inch, and there it was, a 1910 Barber.

When this happens to me I always go a little deeper, and a little wider, the coin could be on it's edge around the outer edge of the plug...
Hope this all helps,,,
Good luck & Happy hunting~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions