Found my original detector!!!!!

AzDirtFisher

Jun 19, 2005
Mesa, Arizona
Hello everyone!

Yep I am a newbie here but not to MDing, been at it since I was around 12 or 13 years old. I first seen metal detectors in my Dads old "CoinAge" magazines back then and bugged the crap out of my Dad to get me one. There was some cheap one advertised for like $19.95 or something like that, I think the whole thing stood about 36" tall if that. But it was enough to spark my Dads intrest big time! He went out and bought new at the time a Garrett "Sidewinder" BFO unit, He found alot of things with that old work horse. I got my first real detector some time in the late '70s it was a Bounty Hunter "Red Baron" I loved that old machine and I found alot with it. Well anyways I was helping my folks move out of their old house and guess what I found? my old Red Baron, I thought my Dad had sold it while I was in the military, but somehow it was not. So here are some pics for all you to look at if so inclined!
It does not work anymore for some reason and am thinking of having it repaired, anyone know of a repair outfit that could fix this thig? Just would like to use it again for old times sake! I am currently using a Tesoro Silver Umax.
Hope all you Dads out there had a great day!
AzDirtFisher

Attachments

• IM001109.JPG
    IM001109.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 673

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That machine looks a lot like the old Whites coinmasters. I wonder who copied who.

Ed Donovan

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
I still have my first detector too. An old Garrett BFO Master Hunter. Still works if I put 5 or 6 batteries in it, lol.

waayne

Dec 17, 2005
Yes, I had one of those old Hunters. It was a BFO and, with a good sensitive ear, you could dig's all day with it. It came with two search coils, a 12" and a 6", as I recall. There was no discrimination modes, just an all metal mode. It was a pretty stable detector, however, and was somewhat cutting edge in its day, maybe the late '60s. I still have one of the old Garrett bfo types, the Spartan 125, and it still serves me quite well for coin shooting

S

Sparks2887

ecdonovan said:
That machine looks a lot like the old Whites coinmasters. I wonder who copied who.

Ed Donovan

This detector was designed by Jack Gifford (who went on to found Tesoro). For repair, you should contact Kevin Wills at http://www.brokendetector.com They do excellent work and have parts for the older machines.

Tom in GA
Whites MXT
Fisher 1235-X

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
It looks in great shape for its age, I have a few of my old ones that I need to send off too. I did some research and found these fellows in TX., They will give a quote and have a slew of nos parts for all of the major brands.
East Texas Metal Detectors
1495 FM 49
Gilmer TX
903-734-7773 They have a nice web site goggle should find it I have to get off and share this computor
with my daughter . Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions