Proper Technique Threads

G

GregV

Hello all. I just ordered my first detector today. Should see it by this time next week. I have spent hours reading through posts on this site, learning plenty. I was hoping that somebody could point me to a thread on this site or at any site that actually would define proper technique in a step by step form. I am not even sure how to cut a plug. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks from the new guy ??? ??? ???
Greg

TOWcritter

Welcome to the forum. This is the place. You don't need to go any farther. I'm pretty sure if you do a search for it or ask Marc or Jeff they will point you quickly in the right direction. Cutting a plug is sort of an art form. It's easy to do but it takes time to master. Take your digging tool (preferably a sharp one) and cut a circle in the soil about 3 to 4 inches around and about the same depth depending on the depth of your target. Pop out this "plug" Now you have a hole about 3 to 4 inches round and the same depth.. Scan your plug that you removed to see if the target is inside. If it is, just peel away the dirt until you find it. If not, scoop out more soil (being neat about it) and checking the hole every so often with the detector, until the target is found. When you have the target in hand (hopefully something old and expensive!) refill the hole with the dirt and top it off with the grass plug. Tamp lightly and there you go! If you were careful about the whole operation, it should be nearly invisible. I hope this helps you in your quest. Good Luck and Post those Pics!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• ex-sov.jpg
    ex-sov.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 325