Possible research method for detecting old sites?

seekeroforo

Jan 21, 2010
Over the rainbow
Detector(s) used
Logic, prayer, hope, and instinct
After some violent storms in my area tonight, I got to thinking (as I always am). Some people in several threads have wondered how objects from a certain area ended up in a farm field, or in an area not inhabited or settled.

My idea, keeping in mind that I am newer to this than a vast majority of you great folks here, is that maybe, just maybe inclement weather was involved and had dispersed the contents of houses, outbuildings and barns.

Anyone know how to look up the history of tornadoes and such in their prized hunting grounds?

Just a thought to further help the awesome culture that I have learned to love!

Thanks for listening, and please offer your thoughts on this one. :notworthy:

~Seeker~

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Some of the towns that had a major tornado may be mentioned on Wikipedia & there is lots of this info on www.city-data.com Then if you could get access to old newspapers from that town there would probably be more info. Some libraries have the old newspapers on microfilm and have microfilm readers or maybe by now they're on computer disks. Wikipedia & city-data have lots of info helpful to detectorists, including links to city govt sites w/park info & more.

Some stuff blown around by a tornado can travel many miles, so I couldn't say where would be good spots to detect. And detecting a city soon after a tornado (before clean-up & rebuilding) might not result in a friendly welcome. Some other sources for possible good detecting locations might be city history books (many published for the bi-centennial), and county history books. Many of the old county history books for a particular state have been combined onto a CD-ROM that sells for about $20 on eBay.

I have lots of old maps & atlases, helpful for finding older parks, ghost towns, etc.

www.hometownlocator.com is another good research site, but maybe not for tornado info.

I think most that detect fields are detecting war sites, ghost town sites, former fairground sites, school sites, church sites, or at least old residential property. Prior to the Indistrial Revolution in the late 1800s, farmers employed many field hands & little crossroads communities sprang up as places for them to buy a few things & maybe live there. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
seekeroforo

seekeroforo

Jan 21, 2010
Over the rainbow
Detector(s) used
Logic, prayer, hope, and instinct
George (MN) said:
And detecting a city soon after a tornado (before clean-up & rebuilding) might not result in a friendly welcome.

I totally agree with this statement.

I was more on the line of looking for 18th and 19th century artifacts.

Awesome information in your response! :thumbsup:

Thank you George,

`Seeker~

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seekeroforo,

Very interesting thought! Never thought about a tornado or micro burst spreading goodies. Nope, that's not lint in your furnace burning! :D You got me thinking too. Might be some pretty interesting leads following natural disasters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread