old homes and buildings

J

Jamie

If you ever happened to take down or redo an old house you can find allot of neat things. When my family redid my grandfather?s house we found newspapers between the clapboards and wall dating back to the 1850s! We also found a Mallory hat dating back to 1910 just hanging on a nail in the attic that my grandfather never recalled placing or even seeing it there.

AlphaQuest

Jan 3, 2005
Western New York
Remodeling my Mid 1800's home I haven't found anything to brag about. It's been remodel manytimes in the last 150+ years. Upstairs I removed old magazines (McCall's) from the early 50's. But I keep looking.

AQ

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
While helping my ex-father-in-law tear down an old farm house, we found I believe an 1815 flintlock pistol made in Belgum in a bannister, a bag full of indian pennys in a wall. I also have found an old violin only marking was a repair sticker on the inside dated 1937 (this was found hidden behind a chimney in the attic). I've lived in this house almost two years and haven't been in the attic yet, think I'll take a run up there now that you mention it.
HH Bob.B

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
I remodeled a house in Palisade, Colorado about 15 years ago and the walls were all filled with turn of the century newspapers. They were neatly rolled to about the size of a paper towel roller and tacked into place. I guess it was an early form of insulation. The unfortunate thing about it was that I could unroll them but within about an hour they would just turn into fragments. Had a lot of funreading what I could. Funny the mice hadn't done them in years ago!

gsmeiers

Nov 25, 2004
Appleton, WI
Bob B. said:
While helping my ex-father-in-law tear down an old farm house, we found I believe an 1815 flintlock pistol made in Belgum in a bannister, a bag full of indian pennys in a wall. I also have found an old violin only marking was a repair sticker on the inside dated 1937 (this was found hidden behind a chimney in the attic). I've lived in this house almost two years and haven't been in the attic yet, think I'll take a run up there now that you mention it.
HH Bob.B

Did you find anything in your Attic??? :)

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
my father and i where in my grandfathers barn in upstate new york. we were just poking around when i saw a lump on one of the rafters. climbed up and found under about 1/2 inch of dust a book of psalms copywrited in 1809. i was about 12 then. any basement, garage or barn i walk into i'm always looking into the rafters

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
GSMEIERS: Still haven't had a chance to check it out, was about to and along came some hunny-dos and didn't get to it, will let you know what I find HH Bob.B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread