Possible "Technique?"

Oradden

May 31, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I live in Massachusetts. Massachusetts has some amazing pieces of history just lying in the ground waiting to be found. The thing you would want to shoot for if you lived in central Mass like I do is sheer age. Settled so early on in the beginnings of this country there is an incredible potential to find relics, and coins e.t.c

So it may not sound very challenging to more experienced metal detectorists and treasure hunters of the like, but it's hard to find any of it here. The maps: 1850's at the earliest. The people: Don't know how to help, or have already done most areas such as commons, fair grounds, standing homes, parks, farm fields. I have one 1700's home site with the foundation still in tact (sort of) and need some help on how, and where to look for more.

There are plenty of 1700's foundations near me, that I am sure. But how do you find them if you don't have any maps? Maybe the homes that are on the 1800's maps are marked at that point in time, but does that necessarily mean that they were built then? Also could there be any landmarks that may indicate human traffic? Like an attraction? Then maybe that is linked to a road....which is linked to a home? These are a few of the ideas I have had and would like some opinions if possible, anything helps.

But the main point of this is I need a new technique on how to find things like this;

buckle for treasurenet.jpg

for treasurenet copper coin.JPG

cobb for treasurenet.jpg

What I think would be the most beneficial is if we could get some users to post a picture of what they have found, where, when and how they found out the area that they found it in, for those who worry of their sites safety from others specifics don't need to be revealed but how to find an area to metal detect is the main purpose of this post. Any information will help!

The_Cooper's_Shop_Old_Sturbridge_Village.jpg

cellar hole.jpg

old-sturbridge-village-map.jpg

:hello:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You live in an area with lots of history. Sometimes you need to use non traditional means to determine what was in an area. We all start with aerial maps, topographical maps, sanborn maps, deed records and plat maps. Beyond that, you can contact libraries, historical societies, oral histories from old timers, books , diaries and old newspapers. Most old roads followed the same or similar paths as the current roads. Where I live, we don't have cellars, so you have an opportunity to find old cellar holes that I don't! Hopefully others will add to the list. Thanks for posting. Wayne www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Last edited:

TunnelRat

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, look for any information on old trading routes and indian trails. Search near river crossings especially the ones that have Ferry or Ford in their name. Routes didn't change much back then so the names might still be the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread