Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I am not familiar with these units but i have some questions for anyone who has knowledge of these machines. Would it be worth it to purchase one of these and use it to find caches. I was thinking if you could lower it in rivers or streams and see if it hits on anything. Also is it possible to drill your own hole a couple of feet down and see if it hits on anything around that area? How far is the target width? If I drilled a 10 foot hole can I detect something 10 feet deep and 10 feet to the side of the unit? If anyone can answer these questions I would appreciate it. Thank you

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
I am not familiar with these units but i have some questions for anyone who has knowledge of these machines. Would it be worth it to purchase one of these and use it to find caches. I was thinking if you could lower it in rivers or streams and see if it hits on anything. Also is it possible to drill your own hole a couple of feet down and see if it hits on anything around that area? How far is the target width? If I drilled a 10 foot hole can I detect something 10 feet deep and 10 feet to the side of the unit? If anyone can answer these questions I would appreciate it. Thank you

I'd recommend exhausting the usual stuff first before going exotic.

Gradiometer setups are usually used to sense large things - like mineral bodies. If that is what you are doing, then it might be an appropriate tool. Water will usually block a gradiometer or provide false signal feedback. I think that magnetometers are used a lot for underwater stuff (not my area of expertise, though)

Depending on soil conditions, a rented GPR may work for you if you are only needing 10 feet.

Good luck!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even simpler & cheaper! Back in the day Garrett made coils with three eyes for a rope harness and a 50' weighted coil as an accessory coil. I took a coil for a Whites DI6000 hipmount and added 25' of cable soldered and waterproofed. molded liquid rubber called SPL to the top to give it weight. Worked quite good considering it was DIY or Mickey Moused whatever you prefer. If you're looking for larger objects, grab a yard sale machine and add some cable waterproofed with some liquid electric tape and heatshrink to waterproof some non-metallic weight. And you should be good to go for under $120!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread