How to Dig two holes properly

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Please note! This is a staged Hunt! I am going to show you two techniques for digging holes so you do not get dirt everywhere and you can leave no trace! That is the big deal here! We want to leave the ground as we had left it!!! :) :thumbsup:

Now here is the video of me digging holes.

[youtube=425,350]FxuQXXSREHc[/youtube]

Please leave comments in this post and on youtube. Tell me what you think. I planted the coins by the way! I just wanted to show you how to dig proper holes! This one guy in Seattle who gets hired to metal detect places all over the world taught me this and I am going to share it with those who do not already know how to do it. The first method you all may know. But the second method is one I had just discovered when watching him do this.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the I method too...but that one will come in handy when you know from pinpointing how deep your target is..if its a deep target I would do the plug method.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I've been using the I technique for a while. Never knew it had a name.

I made my own ground cloth out of the leg of a pair of jeans. I put two dowel rods inside the leg and then sowed them onto the material.

The advantage is that when you pick it up the leg is tapered so it becomes a funnel! Works great.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info.
When I get my pinpointer I will try these methods.
Too afraid of excavating until then. :)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, DF, you're the first person I've seen using that digging tool----other than me. I bough mine in OKC from Wayne in about 1995. That's a "bosshoss" digger isn't it? I had to put some foam on the handle and wrap it with Duck Tape to protect my hands. That hickory handle was eating up the palm of my hand, but there's no way I'd get rid of it. ;D :thumbsup:

Possumguts

May 4, 2008
Western NYS
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I have found that sometimes when it is hard to locate the target without a pinpointer, you can grab the 4 corners of the cloth and lift the dirt up and swing it near your coil (instead of standing up). If your target is in the dirt, it will sound off...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread