NEL Tornado coils from Russia???

DonovanN

Aug 30, 2012
Marion, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab SovGT, Safari, Etrac.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a new NEL Sharpshooter coil for my Etrac. After only 2 days of testing in the field I give it two thumbs up. It does great in high trash areas, old home sites and such. Really separates out the targets and gives great depth. I was able to pick out good targets with sometimes 2 or 3 junk items on top or near the target with no problems. I took it to an area I've been hunting for a while now but was having a lot of trouble with my stock coil and the amount of trash in the ground. One spot in particular that I had found several silver coins but was REALLY trashy I had been wanting to hunt with a smaller coil for a while now. The Sharpshooter did great. I knew there would be a lot of coins to be found in this area with the amount of activity that had gone on here over the past 150 years. It was giving me great depth too, better than I expected. I was picking up silver dimes at 8+ inches and getting a good strong signal. I did notice a little bit of difference in the target id numbers from the stock coil, but tone really says it all anyhow. I also like the shape of the coil being 5.5 X 9.5. I learned a little trick in pinpointing on really trashy spots using the tip of the coil. The Sharpshooter pinpoints quit a bit better than the stock coil which I guess is really one of the points in using a small coil in a trashy area, but I was just really impressed with it's abilities. Before purchasing the coil I had read some reviews here and other sites talking about the coil being tuned a little too hot. This is not really any issue at all, just turn down your sensitivity and the thing was as stable as any coil I've used. I also used the coil in a thick cover area with a lot of trees and brush. The coil did great here as well. The only thing was some snagging on stubble due to the open areas of the coil, which as you all know gets a little annoying after a while, but with the advantages of good depth, small size for working tight places and great stability I dealt. All in all, I am really impressed with the NEL Sharpshooter coil. I will be revisiting some old areas I've hunted in the past to rework some of those really trashy areas that I know have some old silver still there. After all, that's where the good stuff is at. In close, I would recommend the NEL Sharpshooter to anyone looking for a good small coil for the Minelab explorer series detectors to hunt high trash areas or places you need a smaller coil.

frank1fm

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To anyone reading this.I bought a Nel Tornado 12X13 coil for my Bounty Hunter Platinum.Now everyone knows BH isn't considered a high end detector.I also own a White's VX3.Now I can't speak for other brands of detectors using this search coil.I will say this.In normal soil conditions,I can hit a gold or silver ring or a quarter at 10 to 12 inches deep.Without the coil maybe 7 inches.If I didn't see and use it with my own eyes,I wouldn't believe it.Now the BH Platinum will not work in salt beach no matter what coil.I saw a video on youtube from a guy in Poland using a BH Land Ranger with a 12X13 Nel coil.Now I don't about you,but when I see hits for quarter size objects at 12 to 15 inches easy,I think that's amazing!So I went and bought a BH Land Ranger new for $225 even though I have a $1200 White's VX3.I bought an after market elliptical coil for $150.You can believe this or not,the BH Land Ranger with this coil in salt beach and black sand outperforms my White's VX3.In fact,I haven't seen to many detectors on youtube outperform it.I ordered a Nel 121X13 coil for the Land Ranger.The coil for the Platinum doesn't work with it.Any person who wants to see this amazing performance go to youtube and type in "Nel Tornado 12X3 bounty hunter land star test 50cm 45cm 30cm".You be your own judge.One last note,I bought the BH Land Ranger for salt beach and black sand.This detector is impervious to salt beach and black sand.And I don't even have to balance.When I use my White's VX3 on the same beach,even in salt beach mode,nothing but falsing.I will put my BH Land Ranger with the coil up against any detector in salt beach and black sand,even a Minelab.I'm in the process of making some videos for youtube for everyone to see.If you're like me,then your motto should be,"I'm from Missouri,show me."

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:thumbup:

I hit targets 16-20+ " using 15" wot and sef 12x15" butterfly coils in all metal mode on my excals and sov gt..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
I just stick with the factory stuff

Yup, They do a lot of R&D and know what works best for Their product. Only time I have strayed is with the 5 inch sunray coil and it is a good product but didn't see any difference from the stock 8 inch Minelab coil.

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't let the naysayers fool you, I've been using NEL coils on most of my Minelab, Fisher, Garrett, and Tesoro machines for the last 2 years..

They are undoubtedly better than most of the rubbish stock coils available on most detectors, particularly the Minelab X-terra and garrets Ace, and Fisher.
Given stock coils are generally pretty average.

I put the 5.5x9.5 SS on my gold bug pro, the sensitivity eclipses the stock 5" DD and 5x10" by FTP, Also put one on my AT Gold to amazing results...

I'm not saying these are the be all end all best coils ever, but they will perform.. As with any aftermarket coil you may experience problems.

Anyway price for performance you will be hard pressed to find a better option..

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nel will most likley b my next buy for my v3i iv been using the sef coils 6x8 & mainly the 10x12 sef & ive been hitting targets very deep to where I just grab my samson digger instead of the normal hand lesche id like to do a compare test on nel coils verse sef find out the deepest 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread