g2 or omega

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
G2. I have an Omega and a Gold Bug Pro (G2 clone). I did find several nickels the other day with my Omega, but to me the G2 is just such a joy to use for general coin and jewelry hunting that I'm thinking about selling my Omega. The G2 does not have little icons to remiond you of what VDI's are but you'll get over that pretty quick.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as I can tell they have been equal on silver. My thing is that the G2/GB Pro hits hard on gold jewlery. They both seem to hit nickels pretty hard, which is also where you see gold items. It also has a strong ability for coins on edge and multiple coin dumps.

OP
OP
P

poptop121

Apr 9, 2011
conecticut
sweeet :hello2:......ok so does the g2 hit hard on pull tabs.. seeing thats where most gold rings are, or is there a distinct sound on the tabs.. along with the vid..??

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I find something say a nickel on the GB Pro, it will hit hard on a VDI 57 or 58 and maybe blip on 56 on repeated sweeps. The tone is loud, hard and distinct. For junk like tabs it will bounce around on each sweep form 62 to 70 to 52 to 57, etc. Good targets pretty much lock on within a couple of numbers. Using the 11 biaxial coil you can sweep the front or back edge over the target and junk will really start to get flakey reads and sounds while the good target will still sound good and stay close or dead on with the VDI. The VDI numbers for common coins is listed in the manual. Gold jewelry VDI numbers can be all over depending on the size and compostion, but it will still typically behave the same by locking on with good tone and not drifting all over the VDI scale. I have found gold rings hitting at 66, 72. You should dig a lot of stuff early on no matter what detector you decide on. Try to predict what it is and you will gradually build up your experience and confidence in any machine.

I also have found the Omega to be more sensitive to EMI problems. I have had it once in a great while on the GB Pro too, but not very often. Turning the sensitivity down can usually work around that on either one. Here is a link to the GB Pro manual. I heard the G2 manual isn't online yet for some reason. Basically the same thing. The VDI numbers for coins is on page 26.
http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/GBUGPro(reader).pdf

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just thought of another thing. The G2 does not have notch discrimination while the Omega does. It would be rare for me to use the notch disc on my Omega. If I am in a trashy area I will usually not disc out anything above foil since I don't want to misss any gold jewelry. To each his own, but if I'm out there swinging the detector I would hate to set the machine up to pick up a clad quarter and miss a gold earring. I have tried to use the notch disc on the Omega but I just hated the thought of missing some good stuff. The G2 is a machine you can grow into. Plus it is wicked fast on it's target recovery.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Poptop the G2 is simply AMAZING!!! Specially in iron or heavy trash. I would pick G2 over 8000 in most cases. The dual processors are the key to the G2. If you have any questions feel free to call or email me. Love to answer any questions you may have. Bart

OP
OP
P

poptop121

Apr 9, 2011
conecticut
wow this detector really sounds like it kicks arse. :headbang: this really sounds like my kinda machine..when the time comes this most likely will be my upgrade :icon_thumright: thx so much for helpin a newbster out.. thx guys..

DetectorOCD

Sep 22, 2010
Dallastown, PA
Detector(s) used
TESORO!
Man, I am having the same problem here with the choice of the G2 or the Omega. I am mostly a park hunter. Im interested in coins and jewellery and not so much relics. Bart, help me out here, man. Can you keep that layaway option open for a little bit so i can make up my darn mind? I am so torn! Sorry for the indecisiveness!

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DetectorOCD said:
Man, I am having the same problem here with the choice of the G2 or the Omega. I am mostly a park hunter. I'm interested in coins and jewellery and not so much relics. Bart, help me out here, man. Can you keep that layaway option open for a little bit so i can make up my darn mind? I am so torn! Sorry for the indecisiveness!
G2 or Gold Bug Pro DP. IE they have the 11 inch bi axial coil, different handles, same functionality. If you get an Omega the stock 10 inch concentric coil is nice but a lot of us have come to really enjoy the 11 inch DD for it's ability to search in trash like park settings. So that means more money out of pocket. If you try the Omega and then want to sell it, they may be a little slower to sell used over a G2. At least that is my impression when you look at the used units and how fast they go. If you want a clean used Omega I may be selling mine since the GBP is what I generally grab first.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DetectorOCD said:
Man, I am having the same problem here with the choice of the G2 or the Omega. I am mostly a park hunter. Im interested in coins and jewellery and not so much relics. Bart, help me out here, man. Can you keep that layaway option open for a little bit so i can make up my darn mind? I am so torn! Sorry for the indecisiveness!

Sure! You got 90 days to make up your mind. Clock is ticking though. lol

I would really look into at the G2.

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Choosing betwen the G2 and Omega is a tossup for me. I like 'em both for coin and jewelry hunting. The Omega is strong in the range above nickels on those larger mens bands while the G2 has a definite advantage in the foil to just above nickel range which makes it better for the necklaces and bracelets. Both like on-edge targets but I have to rate the Omega a tad better on average to larger size gold mens bands at depth. On fresh water beaches using all metal mode the Omega kicks arse in the tab range and has netted me a number of deep gold bands missed by other hunters. For old site coin hunting the G2 is killer for pulling stuff out of iron and nails but many times I like to take advantage of the Omega's ability to hunt heavy iron quietly yet still pull out its share of coins.

As you can tell I enjoy having both.

Tom Z

onbrake

Greenie
Feb 15, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ,O8,XLT,IDX PRO.
I have the O8 and so far its the best detector on the beach its amazing I have never used the G2 but i'm sure it is good also.I do know this is one quiet machine unless a coin is under it.

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Please forgive me if this is off-topic, but I have been head-over-heels delighted with my White's M6 for coin and jewelry hunting. If your VDI is solid from every direction and in the gold range, chances are darn good you've got gold.

I love my Omega for park hunting as well, but have yet to find gold with it. Maybe when I do, it will take the M6's title of my most used detector. I certainly would enjoy the lighter weight but not at the expense of giving up the gold. I keep giving the Omega opportunities to thrill me with some gold jewelry, but it hasn't happened yet.

Just my thoughts,

Happy Hunting

Phillip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread