T2 vs atp gold

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Not exactly what you asked, but I have an AT Pro and a T2SE. I haven't seen anything from the T2 that would convince me to get rid of the AT! There are aspects about each detector that I like. The T2 seems to like almost wide open disc levels to perform its best vs the AT. This may be a sensitivity thing though as the T2 seems so sensitive that it can be overloaded running too hot in the trash. All in all, I prefer the disc mode of my AT. I would like to hear from somebody that can speak to the comparison in all metal to the AT gold though.

Having both of these is like owning two light sabers at once! The AT usually gets the love because of the type of hunting I do most-boonies where creek and river crossings may be on the menu, plus the water hunting in general that the AT excels at. I'd probably trade the T2 for an AT gold just to have two water machines and still be able to scratch the 'all metal' itch!

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks there's no water where im from so I might get both machines

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
You'll do we'll with either machine. Just remember, the T2 doesn't need to be run at full sensitivity! Even the startup setting of 60 can be too high.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some nice stuff with my T2. Today I went a local park and had foil reading and dime and nickel reading so dug it up found foil,dime and nickel. Also find small targets deep like Bird shot. So I guess stick with my T2.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned a ATgold and was not impressed AT ALL!!! I would run the gold then go back over it with the T2 and find things the gold missed. Not always deeper but mostly smaller buttons.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I owned a ATgold and was not impressed AT ALL!!! I would run the gold then go back over it with the T2 and find things the gold missed. Not always deeper but mostly smaller buttons.

Well, unless you have both machines side by side comparing the same target, you really can't say one machine "missed" it. My yard has been hit by several of the "best" machines out there several times and I still get keepers for time to time and with cheap detectors to boot!. It's all about coil placement!

Since I received my T2se it's all I've been using and truth be told it hasn't shown me anything my AT or CZ wouldn't find. As for the T2 vs AT Gold…I doubt one is "better" than the other. They both have strengths the other doesn't have. OP, if you're are happy with your T2, keep it and stop wondering.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if and I think the t2 has a depth advantage but lets just say they perform the same. The t2 cost more but the t2 has better ergonomics, coil changes are easier and faster which I do often. Also larger display on t2, I also prefer trigger pinpoint and ground balance. Another little thing that is important at least to me is headphone plug placement, the t2 at your elbow makes sense any detector that plugs near where the head of detector is drives me crazy. So even if they performed the same I prefer the t2 as I do not hunt in water or want to hunt in the rain. My opinion on depth comes from comparing signals with an atgold with small coil and t2 with sharpshooter is 5.5 by 9.5.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if and I think the t2 has a depth advantage but lets just say they perform the same. The t2 cost more but the t2 has better ergonomics, coil changes are easier and faster which I do often. Also larger display on t2, I also prefer trigger pinpoint and ground balance. Another little thing that is important at least to me is headphone plug placement, the t2 at your elbow makes sense any detector that plugs near where the head of detector is drives me crazy. So even if they performed the same I prefer the t2 as I do not hunt in water or want to hunt in the rain. My opinion on depth comes from comparing signals with an atgold with small coil and t2 with sharpshooter is 5.5 by 9.5.

I'll weigh in on some of the same points…ergonomics is good on the t2 but NOT nearly as good as I expected. Ergonomics to me pretty important as I have some back issues that also affect the shoulder and neck but I don't find the t2 vastly superior. It's not much better if any than an AT Pro/gold with a 5x8 coil IMO. The small coil on the t2 obviously improves ergonomics more.

The headphone jack to me is also a non issue. I run a 1/4" adapter on my ATP and it exits under the arm cuff just as the t2 so it's all the same to me.

Coil swapping on the other hand is hands down easier on the t2. No comparison! I keep the 5x8 coil on the ATP as it works really well, balances nicely, is still plenty deep and really have no desire to swap it. Thank God because coil swaps are a PITA!

Performance…I'm not seeing much of a difference. I id'd a target in my yard last night using the 5" coil on the t2 coming in 80's one way and 50's-60's the other. Depth indicates 8-10". Today I put the large coil on the t2 and checked the same target. Signal came in more clear but getting same numbers. I also checked it w/my AT and am getting a nice smooth high tone one direction and a nice mid tone the other. The tones on the AT are much much smoother and way easier to read. I can definitely tone hunt with the ATP and am very reliant on the screen of the t2 to determine whether I wanna dig or not. But I do have WAY more time on my ATP and and just starting using my t2. As for the target…both machines are id'ing it the same. 8-10" high tone one way, mid tone the other. I'll let ya know what it is after I dig it.

If I had it to do over, I guess I'd have opted for the AT Gold. Only because I'm very familiar with the Garrett AT language and VERY comfortable w/it.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll weigh in on some of the same points…ergonomics is good on the t2 but NOT nearly as good as I expected. Ergonomics to me pretty important as I have some back issues that also affect the shoulder and neck but I don't find the t2 vastly superior. It's not much better if any than an AT Pro/gold with a 5x8 coil IMO. The small coil on the t2 obviously improves ergonomics more.

The headphone jack to me is also a non issue. I run a 1/4" adapter on my ATP and it exits under the arm cuff just as the t2 so it's all the same to me.

Coil swapping on the other hand is hands down easier on the t2. No comparison! I keep the 5x8 coil on the ATP as it works really well, balances nicely, is still plenty deep and really have no desire to swap it. Thank God because coil swaps are a PITA!

Performance…I'm not seeing much of a difference. I id'd a target in my yard last night using the 5" coil on the t2 coming in 80's one way and 50's-60's the other. Depth indicates 8-10". Today I put the large coil on the t2 and checked the same target. Signal came in more clear but getting same numbers. I also checked it w/my AT and am getting a nice smooth high tone one direction and a nice mid tone the other. The tones on the AT are much much smoother and way easier to read. I can definitely tone hunt with the ATP and am very reliant on the screen of the t2 to determine whether I wanna dig or not. But I do have WAY more time on my ATP and and just starting using my t2. As for the target…both machines are id'ing it the same. 8-10" high tone one way, mid tone the other. I'll let ya know what it is after I dig it.

If I had it to do over, I guess I'd have opted for the AT Gold. Only because I'm very familiar with the Garrett AT language and VERY comfortable w/it.
I realize you may or may not keep your t2 but the sharpshooter coil by nel made my t2 come alive for me anyway. Tones seem better and ids better. It will be interesting to hear what that signal is, usually numbers that jump that far apart is nothing good.

chopperdog

May 18, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO / Minelab X-Terra 705 /Minelab 505 / XP Deus / Makro Racer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both, both are excellent detectors. In my mind, here is the most important issue. --- They speak different languages! --- If you are familiar with the First Texas detectors, and like their operating platform, I'd go with the T2, if you are new to the hobby, the AT PRO / AT Gold is much easier to learn, and IMHO, just as deep as the T2, (If you put a NEL Sharpshooter coil on it). --- The T2 speaks R2D2, the Garrett machines speak English. Seriously, try them both to see which 'language' you understand, and prefer. ---- IMHO

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is'nt the coil on the atgold almost identical in size to the sharpshooter? The t2 does sound like r2d2 in delta but pretty tame in 3 tone.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I realize you may or may not keep your t2 but the sharpshooter coil by nel made my t2 come alive for me anyway. Tones seem better and ids better. It will be interesting to hear what that signal is, usually numbers that jump that far apart is nothing good.
Yeah it wasn't anything good. Just a tiny wadded piece of aluminum siding. All wasn't lost…I'm trying to rid myself of ALL non ferrous (& ferrous for that matter) anyway. It also turned out to not be that deep. More 5-6" range but that usually happens on smaller targets in that they like to read deeper than they are.

Is'nt the coil on the atgold almost identical in size to the sharpshooter? The t2 does sound like r2d2 in delta but pretty tame in 3 tone.
Whats the sharpshooter coil? 5/6x9 right? So coils are pd close. I don't mess with delta. Only bp or am! I like am in clean ground!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your input after reading all the replies I can see both machines are pretty good and I had a thought of trading my T2for a At gold but going stick with my machine I'm getting pretty good in use it finding cool stuff using two coils

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more question does anyone have any information T2 sold over r sea's . Mine has Arabic writing on it

ForumRunner_20140606_073615.png

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more question does anyone have any information T2 sold over r sea's . Mine has Arabic writing on it

View attachment 1005396

The chinese have copied the T2, they're all over the place.

My first impression I'd guess you have a fake imho.

Hopefully Woof! will weigh in on it.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some investigation and found out that my T2 is the real deal, was supposed to go overseas to Sudan to look for gold nuggets,

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're both awesome machines and I've learned that it's all about putting yourself in a great site with great targets. I have a T2 SE and hunt with a guy that has an AT. He has on occasion asked me to scan a target that's just a whisper on his because usually mine will give a solid signal on the same target. Luckily most of my sites are in the middle of nowhere and I can crank my machine up and run it super hot. I also believe that like vehicle some are just better than others from the factory for whatever reason

M Scott @ FTP

Mar 18, 2009
I did some investigation and found out that my T2 is the real deal, was supposed to go overseas to Sudan to look for gold nuggets,
While what you say may be true it really depends on where the unit came from.
Units such as yours have been sold exclusively to a single customer in Dubai to be sold and imported into Africa through their distribution system only so unless you bought it in Dubai or Africa there is a good chance it’s not real. The Chinese have copied this style unit to try and sell into Dubai and Africa and then, they and their agents also try and sell them into Europe and USA, while the real ones are only sold in the market they were intended for. The answer lies in where and who you bought it from-send me a PM and I can confirm or help remedy.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread