Eurotek Pro acts a little funny

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally took my Eurotek Pro outside the yard today. Whoo! But there are a couple issues I'm noticing that are probably due to stuff I'm doing wrong, but I wanted to run it by you folks to see if it is just human error.

1. Depth perception. I had a pile of dirt spread thinly over a giant rock, looking for whatever the detector was beeping at. Finally found the thing (a nickel), but the screen was telling me it was several inches down. I understand the depth indicator isn't going to be precise, but there were no inches between the coil and the coin. I had the coil pressed against the dirt. It wasn't even giving me an error signal when I got too close to the nickel.

2. Worse readings after digging. In more than one case, I'd get a good solid signal at a shallow depth (0-2 bars), but once I started to dig, the signal would be all over the place or would disappear altogether. There was nothing nearby that would have caused interference with the signals.

Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or maybe these are normal things that happen. I have no idea. If it helps, I have the disc set to 40, sensitivity at 06-07 and volume at 11.

Rce777777

Jul 12, 2014
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 and Eurotek pro for my little partner.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was the iron indicator flashing? Mine has done that but usually when there are a couple targets in the hole. Where I hunt, (old houses) there are tons of nail and tin from roofs. Lead head nails are my nemesis!! Usually a good solid signal in the mid to upper 50's but iron will flash. I know it's going to be a lead head nail but have to dig to make sure it's not a nickel with trash next to it.

Depth is a tricky thing. Mine says just about everything is 3". Hard to really know for sure until you dig. Most of the time it's pretty close. When you have something like the nickel not picking up really close, pick the detector up a few inches and pin point it. #1 suggestion, if you don't have a pin pointer, save up and get one. Makes life much easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JunkLover

JunkLover

Jan 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In some cases, I did see the IRON symbol, but it was usually when I had really wild readings that jumped all over the place, like 53-64-90-87-45. I assume that means something like a nail and another thing in the same hole, but since this was my maiden public voyage with a craptastic digging tool, I only went after signals without IRON that looked relatively solid. Only two of those yielded results. A couple times I would dig a hole that gave strong readings and then once I dug, there was no signal either in the hole or the dirt pile.

And I actually am discussing pinpointers in the Tool Shed section and I'm pretty sold on the idea already, but it's a matter of deciding on a brand. I'm on the lookout for coins and jewelry, so I'm just trying to find out if there's a particular model best suited for these items. I also need to get a decent shovel and hopefully the next time I go hunting, it won't be in such a rocky area. I couldn't even dig plugs where I went because it was almost all rocks.

I also had a really good 56-57 signal near the road that was shallow that I swore was a nickel. It was a hunk of scrap metal. Not to mention some people on bikes repeatedly rode back and forth past me, which was a little unsettling considering the police station was right down the road. As far as I know, what I was doing wasn't illegal, but that never stops busybodies from causing trouble.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was your disc set at?

I own the eurotek pro. And found it works a lot better with discrimination set to 0. That way I can hear all the tones. Also with disc set to 0 you have less of a chance of iron masking a good target. I have also had less false targets with it set this way

Bob

Rce777777

Jul 12, 2014
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 and Eurotek pro for my little partner.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a 56-57 signal disappear one time also. I figured it was something really small or minerals in the ground. It's got me thinking now. I might do a little research and see what I can come up with. As far as pin pointers, I bought a Deteknix X-POINTER and really like it.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had a 56-57 signal disappear one time also. I figured it was something really small or minerals in the ground. It's got me thinking now. I might do a little research and see what I can come up with. As far as pin pointers, I bought a Deteknix X-POINTER and really like it.

My buddy bought the xpointer and let me use use it. And wow it's a great pointer at a really great price

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What was your disc set at?

I own the eurotek pro. And found it works a lot better with discrimination set to 0. That way I can hear all the tones. Also with disc set to 0 you have less of a chance of iron masking a good target. I have also had less false targets with it set this way

Bob

Agreed! Remember the depth indication is set to coin sized objects. If its actually a large object under the coil the detector will say it is shallower than it is.

CC_IN_CA

Jun 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Tecknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its not unusual to loose a signal in a hole. It can happen with any machine. Its because of the "halo effect". This is caused by coin oxidation spreading in a halo over time making deep coin easier to detect. When you disturb the halo dirt, the coin becomes less easy to detect. I haven't come to a conclusion on depth accuracy yet, but some have mentioned that. Its not a big deal, once you learn its quirks, one can adjust.

Last edited:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind the ETP comes with the depth set in CM not IN....something to note. It can be changed to IN by holding the PP button while powering up (check manual to be 100% on method)

If the coil is still showing 3 inches while PPing....I will assume you have a target deeper under the coil. Both my ETP and my new Minuteman will ID and overload on a nickel if the coil is directly on it. So beyond a hardware defect like a bad coil or whatever....I think you were in a bad spot and had something deeper. As stated - it is calibrated to coin size objects. A soda can at a foot may read 3 inches....even on my T2 and F70. Getting used to target size while pin-pointing will help. Lift the coil up and do a few passes...if it is a coin it will disappear. A larger deep object will continue to hit with the coil raised. Try the same spot at disc 0 and see if there is something else deep under than nickel.

As far as signal disappearing. It can happen on a bouncy signal. Could be bad dirt or the tiniest of nails you can't see since it blends in so well. You very well may have dug it out of the hole to the side in your pile - and now the slightest angle change caused it not to hit. Try taking a small nail and air test it pointing at the coil. Often times it won't hit unless very close to the coil. Turn it longs ways and loud and clear to 4-5 inches.

It could have been a rust pocket where the item turned to rust dust over time....one you dug and scattered that concentrated rust....it would no longer hit. I do NOT believe in the halo effect on gold/silver coins or most clad....but on a crusty zinc or rusty object...I have seen the surrounding dirt change colors and be affected.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread